harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Who Should Be On The 2013 Deathlist?

In my opinion, DL names should be people who 1) Have a strong chance of dying this year and 2) Are famous enough to be known to the majority of the forum. I think some picks (Lom, Martin) were chosen just because they'd get an obit and they were very old, and as such when they died no obit was written because no one really knew who they were.

I do agree with Cecil/Winner/James though.

I agree that the people on the list should be sufficiently famous that most people would know who they are but I disagree that Herbert Lom and Tony Martin do not meet that criteria. A lot of the "fun" in the Deathlist is rembering those who have faded from public life but have left a body of work.

I am still promoting Rodney Bewes since the last time I saw him on telly he looked like someone had just dug him up.

Guest Guest

Clive James

Sir Henry Cecil

Bob Champion

Michael Winner

Geoffrey Palmer

Ronnie Corbett

Doris Day

Colin Baker

Joan Fontaine

Helmut Schmidt

Tony Benn

Sandy Gall

David Jason

Denis Norden

Walter Mondale

Richard Adams

Lord Carrington

Arthur Morris

Gough Whitlam

Arnold Palmer

Guest Guest

Joan Fontaine

Any particular reason for swapping Olivia de Havilland out and replacing her with Joan Fontaine? :D

Who says we can't have both? They have about the same chance of dying and are both equally famous.

I think they have a pact to carry on living to spite the other one. When one goes, it will be lights out for the other one.

In my opinion, DL names should be people who 1) Have a strong chance of dying this year and 2) Are famous enough to be known to the majority of the forum. I think some picks (Lom, Martin) were chosen just because they'd get an obit and they were very old, and as such when they died no obit was written because no one really knew who they were.

I agree that the people on the list should be sufficiently famous that most people would know who they are but I disagree that Herbert Lom and Tony Martin do not meet that criteria. A lot of the "fun" in the Deathlist is rembering those who have faded from public life but have left a body of work.

DL picks should all be ones who get the "tributes have been paid today..." mention on the evening news, imho. Like I said before, DL is Corinthian spirit, DDP is the professional leagues.

Guest Guest1

Well, thumbing through my ledger of possible picks, here's a selection of suitably deathlistesque candidates:

Geoffrey Howe

Cliff Michelmore

Jimmy Hill

Ian Holm

Stephen Lewis (we've missed out on a couple of comedy/character actors)

Richard Adams (Watership Down)

Sid Caesar

Leslie Phillips

Having seen at least at least two of these at close quarters in the past 12 months I would advise that Howe and Philips though both frail are likely to make it to 2014 though you never can tell. Jimmy Hill is reportedly in a care home now so I think he's a good pick sadly. Is Ian Holm even ill as he's not that old?

Guest Guest1

Like Chapman Pincher for example who has been on quite a few DLs but no-one has any idea who he is. I'd keep him on as he is in danger of making DL notoriety like a certain Mr Dunn.

Like Chapman Pincher for example who has been on quite a few DLs but no-one has any idea who he is. I'd keep him on as he is in danger of making DL notoriety like a certain Mr Dunn.

Chapman Pincher is famous, he's wheeled out at least twice a year to pop up in the Mail or the Telegraph to tell everyone which British politicians of the 60s were actually Soviet spies, and he was an even bigger deal back in the 80s from what I understand.

I know this is always the thing with "how do you accurately judge fame?" (I remember when Brittany Murphy died being stunned that people on here wouldn't know who she was), but Pincher passes the diptest.

Pincher will be a delightful DL hit one day.

The idea of Herbert Lom not being famous enough for folk makes me sad too: he's a big part of the Pink Panthers films!

Anyhow, the "name" game is a bit daft: over the course of several years looking at this forum, I've heard several names mentioned in hushed tones I'd never heard of before. Usually followed by a trip to Google to see who they were. Some of them I've even got quite into, and wouldn't have heard of them if not for the forum. (Anne Feeney comes to mind.) Not having heard of a DL or DDP pick should be seen as an opportunity rather than a challenge.

Well, thumbing through my ledger of possible picks, here's a selection of suitably deathlistesque candidates:

Geoffrey Howe

Cliff Michelmore

Jimmy Hill

Ian Holm

Stephen Lewis (we've missed out on a couple of comedy/character actors)

Richard Adams (Watership Down)

Sid Caesar

Leslie Phillips

Having seen at least at least two of these at close quarters in the past 12 months I would advise that Howe and Philips though both frail are likely to make it to 2014 though you never can tell. Jimmy Hill is reportedly in a care home now so I think he's a good pick sadly. Is Ian Holm even ill as he's not that old?

Parkinson's apparently...

My picks would be.

Bernie Nolan - Suffering from cancer

Lindsey Lohan - Turns 27, Junkie, Avoided the ultimate consequence too many times.

Lana Del Ray - Also turns 27, Child Alchy

Michael Winner - Given 6 months to live

Prince Philip - In & out of hospital all through 2012, 2013 cant be much better

Superstar Billy Graham - Apparently on deaths door already

Alexander Imich - Turns 110 next year

Pete Doherty - Like Lindsay he has been running from the inevitable for too long now.

Keep 'em coming.

This thread will get read (and then ignored the saying goes) - some good ideas so far but "IM Pei" - I don't think so.

Keep 'em coming.

This thread will get read (and then ignored the saying goes) - some good ideas so far but "IM Pei" - I don't think so.

He's the people's Niemeyer.

Keep 'em coming.

He's the people's Niemeyer.

except Niemeyer made the list...:-)

• Like 1

Guest US Funeral Director

1. Billy Graham- longtime Deathlister, old age and multiple health problems

2. Nancy Reagan- 91 years old, growing ever more frail

3. George HW Bush- Ex U.S. President is now wheelchair-bound and rapidly declining from Parkinson's Disease

4. Margaret Thatcher- EX British PM, well into the stages of dementia

5. Prince Phillip- in his 90s, has heart issues

6. James Garner-actor in poor health since a stroke in 2008, also in his 80s

7. Mary Tyler Moore- diabetes and heart issues, in her 70s.

8. Zsa Zsa Gabor- just for the heck of it

9. David Rockefeller- 98 years old

10. John Glenn- astronaut, first man to orbit the earth, 91 years old

Keep 'em coming.

I can name two buildings Pei built, can only name 1 for Niemeyer.

I can only say I'm familiar with one of each - Pei's glass pyramid at the Louvre, which I'm sure everyone has seen; and Niemeyer's atrocity in Le Havre:

volcan3.jpg

I can only say I'm familiar with one of each - Pei's glass pyramid at the Louvre, which I'm sure everyone has seen; and Niemeyer's atrocity in Le Havre:

volcan3.jpg

Pei designed the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, and Niemeyer designed the United Nations HQ.

Just some random thoughts...

Bonnie Franklin - A must.

Muhammad Ali - Seems to be close. A can't-miss pick for the DL.

Robin Roberts - Health problems keep coming. Serious ones.

Ann B. Davis - Dont know if she's ever appeared on the DL. Turns 87.

Michele Ferrero - Chocolate tycoon whose son recently died. Turns 88.

Guy Innes-Ker - Do we have an update on him? Who was it here thats his neighbor?

Superstar Billy Graham - Should go up. His 2 years to live prognosis is over. He's in a wheelchair. He hasnt been giving many updates anymore.

Bill Clinton - Would be an impressive hit, but risky. Not much info available.

prince Philip

jiang zemin

clive james

fats domino

terry pratchett

queen Elizabeth the 2nd

freddie starr

jim bowen

saif al gaddafi (trial is feb 2013 expect him to be executed late in 2013 )

mickey rooney

ronnie biggs

superstar billy graham

Keep 'em coming.

Niemeyer built an entire city - Brasilia...

It'd be good to have a Bin Laden stylee military/terrorist bruiser in there as summat of a wild card. The long-term survival prospectsof Bosco Ntaganda or Joseph Kony make them suitable candidates, IMHO.

Niemeyer built an entire city - Brasilia...

Ah, I did know that, but felt it didn't count as I couldn't name or recognise any individual building. That's down to my own ignorance, admittedly.

tbh, Family Fortunes-style, after Wren, Mackintosh and Le Corbusier I'd have to pause and think to "name a famous architect". Would probably go with those guys who did "check the body groove, check-check the body groove".