Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Dambusters

Watching BBC2 The Dambusters: 70 years on. Seems there are only 2 surviving members, Canadian rear gunner Fred Sutherland, 89, and 91-year-old Squadron Leader George 'Johnny' Johnson. Excellent obit chances

Of course, Barnes Wallaces daughter Mary Stopes-Roe is bound to get an obit, born 1927

Watching BBC2 The Dambusters: 70 years on. Seems there are only 2 surviving members, Canadian rear gunner Fred Sutherland, 89, and 91-year-old Squadron Leader George 'Johnny' Johnson. Excellent obit chances

When did Fred Sutherland come out? Could've sworn he was married at one time.

That's a different kind of rear gunner.

• Like 1

That's a different kind of rear gunner.

Oh shit! Sorry.

If you want to put a face to the names of the other 130... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22544568

Les Munro has died. He was 96. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/70818274/les-munro-last-surviving-dam-buster-dies.html

All pilots gone. Dam!

Another part of living memory consigned to the history books.

BBC link

Sad that he's gone, but a hit's a hit.

He was the last of the pilots, but still two crew members left from that mission.

I had played Les Munro on my Deathrace team but I am still not over the finishing line.

Les Munro has died. He was 96. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/70818274/les-munro-last-surviving-dam-buster-dies.html

All pilots gone. Dam!

Another part of living memory consigned to the history books.

BBC link

Sad that he's gone, but a hit's a hit.

He was the last of the pilots, but still two crew members left from that mission.

Indeed. Two of the three are in my team.

Did the others get awards, or this is a big fuss about the "last" person? Does he even want a knighthood? I'm remind about Harry Patch's views on getting a state funeral: abject horror.

• Like 1

If you read about Johnny Johnson's life I'd say he's done enough to merit an honour of some kind. Maybe not a knighthood though.

I picked Fred Sutherland for my DDP team. Was looking for unique picks and as no one had him last year........

If you read about Johnny Johnson's life I'd say he's done enough to merit an honour of some kind. Maybe not a knighthood though.

I agree. Surely he would have received military honours at the time. Just because he's the last one, doesnt warrant a knighthood.

• Like 1

I agree. Surely he would have received military honours at the time. Just because he's the last one, doesnt warrant a knighthood.

He only currently has a DFM (Distinguished Flying Medal) which isn't anything particularly special (about 7000 men were awarded them in WWII alone...)

He only currently has a DFM (Distinguished Flying Medal) which isn't anything particularly special (about 7000 men were awarded them in WWII alone...)

Ok so surely awarding him a knighthood just because he's the last surviving Dambuster, wouldn't that be an insult to the memory of the others who flew on those raids but weren't fortunate to have lived quite as long?

• Like 2

Depends what he gets it for. He's done a lot since WWII according to his bio. He was a Tory local councillor, worked in the health and education services too. In brief - spent a lot of time dedicated to the state sector. "Services to public life"? I'd say he's more worthy of it than quite a few people who are bestowed honours.

Depends what he gets it for. He's done a lot since WWII according to his bio. He was a Tory local councillor, worked in the health and education services too. In brief - spent a lot of time dedicated to the state sector. "Services to public life"? I'd say he's more worthy of it than quite a few people who are bestowed honours.

Still not worthy of a knighthood. MBE or OBE sure.

• Like 1

UK honours are generally not awarded if the service was carried out more than 5 years before the nomination. The award should be made for on going work or continous work over a long period (but still serving).

I'm against his knighthood because he's only really getting it for still being alive. My own great grandfather was a Commando. He only got the Africa Star. They made a film about his exploits!

Anyway, my faith has been restored in the honours system as my nominee got his MBE (no, I wasn't the nominee).

• Like 1