Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

On 20/08/2023 at 13:13, arghton said:

I think the only other "notables" with foreign wikis are:

Yan Renmei - ROC socialite. Juliana Young Koo who lived to 111 was her aunt.

Constantin Năstase - Romanian Major General and WWII vet. (He was promoted from Brig. Gen last year)

I remember this was discussed some time ago when Carmen Herrera died. Back then there was Shitu, Clayton Flowers, Crook, Frances Hesselbein, Masao Horie and Jozef Caban. As mentioned there's only Shitu and Clayton Flowers left of them now. I think these four are the last even somewhat notable people born in 1915 with Ma fucking Shitu being much more famous as the other three combined.

Republic of China socialite Yan Renmei (zh wiki) apparently already died in 2014, but it never stopped Sohu and other Chinese news sources saying she's "still in good health at 108".

Edit: As Nastase is dead too, just Shitu and Clayton Flowers left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

On 25/11/2023 at 09:12, polar duck said:

Some obscure Chinese centenarians I found:

Feng Hongzhi 冯洪志 (1917-) Second-born son of warlord Feng Yuxiang. Also an internationally renowned nuclear physicist, a lifelong friend of Chiang Ching-kuo, and a multimillionaire industrialist

59 minutes ago, arghton said:

Republic of China socialite Yan Renmei (zh wiki) apparently already died in 2014, but it never stopped Sohu and other Chinese news sources saying she's "still in good health at 108".

Thanks for this. Feng Hongzhi is also probably dead.

French actress Anne Vernon turns 100.

She is famous for playing with Deneuve in « the Umbrellas of Cherbourg » a movie still famous in France ! 
She had a great career in the 1950s and the 1960s but no more afterwards. She now lives quietly in the south of France, and she found herself a new hobby painting. She is one of my picks for my French deathlist these year.

IMG_3787.png

IMG_3788.jpeg

FFS man, resize the images before posting. Way too big.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't quite believe she's never been mentioned on here before...

Christian Lamb (wiki) is 104 this year. One of the last surviving WRENs, she helped plan the D-Day landings. 

Anyway, can't find a link but she was on BBC News tonight. Looked great. Perfect makeup and still without a wheelchair (albeit using a Zimmer frame). May have a year or two left in her. Will be interesting to see if she was played in the DDP this year.

Although Charlie Munger born on New Year's Day of 1924 did not quite make it to 100, I am so glad someone else born on the exact same date did which would make there be another grand birthday celebration for New Year's Day 2024.  Seen here is Esperanto speaker Grégoire Maertens (pictured).

Photo Credit: RMaertens per Creative Commons license

Grégoire_Maertens_&_Grandson_Rakoen_Maertens_-_100a_Universala_Kongreso_-_Lille_2015.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/04/2022 at 06:44, Gisooo said:

American television and radio newscaster Ruth Ashton Taylor (Wiki) turns 100 today and became a centenarian :birthday2:

15 Ruth Ashton Taylor Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images 

Ruth Ashton Taylor (wiki) dead at 101 according to several posts on FB here and here.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ruth Ashton Taylor (wiki) dead at 101 according to several posts on FB here and here.

Also she have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

Also she have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Correct.

Ray Anthony and Janis Paige are now the last living individuals born in 1922 with a star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm sure @arghton will confirm but I believe that means there are no notable ppl left who were born in 1912 now?

Shi Ping is the only one left on the English Wikipedia List of Living Centenarians.

Just now, Summer in Transylvania said:

Shi Ping is the only one left on the English Wikipedia List of Living Centenarians.

Chinese Wiki says he was born in 1911. Which year is correct?

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm sure @arghton will confirm but I believe that means there are no notable ppl left who were born in 1912 now?

Depends on if one calls Shi Ping notable or not, but there has been some debate if he was born in 1911 or 1912. The latter seems more likely to be true considering the Shanghai centenarians report uses it, it's mostly his family that claims he was born in 1911.

Torras' death also means that communist author Mateo Balbuena Iglesias is now both the oldest man in Spain and the oldest known Spanish Civil War veteran.

• Like 1

Russian chemist Tatyana Frunze (Wiki), mentioned as a dead person in 2021 according to various unsourced edits in her Russian wiki, dead at 103

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/03/2023 at 20:00, arghton said:

Malaysian politician Devaki Krishnan is 100 today. Can't find any new articles, might be too frail to celebrate now. Last year she said her dream was to make it to 100, a realistic wish compared to, for example, J. P. Enrile and I. L. Tarso saying they want to/will reach 110.

Devaki Krishnan (wiki), Malaysia's first female parliamentarian, dead at 100.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Devaki Krishnan (wiki), Malaysia's first female parliamentarian, dead at 100.

With the recent tragic and premature deaths of Krishnan and Abdullah CD, can we surely declare Dr. M. is now Malaysia's oldest undisputed politician?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, drol said:

With the recent tragic and premature deaths of Krishnan and Abdullah CD, can we surely declare Dr. M. is now Malaysia's oldest undisputed politician?

Yeah, he's the oldest on my list now. With a dodgy heart, he could go any minute, but otherwise seems to be doing okay.

French politician Jean Turco is still alive at 106. Here's him five months ago.

image.thumb.png.b7eebcaf7409a144b5e6407893a532cc.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, drol said:

French politician Jean Turco is still alive at 106

To be honest he’s not famous. I’m French and I had never heard of him before your post.

2 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

To be honest he’s not famous. I’m French and I had never heard of him before your post.

I posted because he has been mentioned various times on the site and his whereabouts were unknown. He was a national deputy in the 70s and has had a Wiki page for a long time.

If he were famous there wouldn't be need to post he is still alive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

French politician Jean Turco is still alive at 106. Here's him five months ago.

image.thumb.png.b7eebcaf7409a144b5e6407893a532cc.png

I've heard of him before, already mentionned him once or twice here in addition. But can't find any article or anything about him, where did you find the picture ? looks very well for his age btw