Grim Reaper

Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Is he morphing into comedian Ryan Stiles ?

ryan-stiles.gif

NO.

He is morphing into comedian Tony Hawks (no not the famous skateboarder)

tony-hawks-halesworth-arts-festival_0.jpg

Is he morphing into comedian Ryan Stiles ?

ryan-stiles.gif

NO.

He is morphing into comedian Tony Hawks (no not the famous skateboarder)

tony-hawks-halesworth-arts-festival_0.jpg

Surely Hugh Dennis is in the running.

128009317_hughdenni_418073c.jpg

So basically, it's whose line is it anyway...

His face looks so gaunt and strained .His face is gaunt and it appears he can`t control facial expressions.I would give him 12 months.

I gave him 12 months a year ago when I picked for this years DDP, it is one of those diseases that won't be rushed into a final move.

Heard his interview with 5live yesterday.

I'd disagree. He sounded shot, as they tried to blame mnd on his rugby.

Broke his nose 16 times ffs. He might not see December.

Yeah I heard that and he was clearly struggling to even make noise but even when speech is lost completely people can go on for quite a while.He is apparently under his brothers 24 hour care now .It will be five years next September since his diagnosis -I reckon he might well make that.

I have him on my team for 2014 and see no reason to remove his name for next year, definitey a 'keeper'

• Like 1

Guest droosy

His face looks so gaunt and strained .His face is gaunt and it appears he can`t control facial expressions.I would give him 12 months.

I gave him 12 months a year ago when I picked for this years DDP, it is one of those diseases that won't be rushed into a final move.

You can´t hurry ALS! You just have to wait, death don´t come easy - it´s a game that the winner takes.....

Looking at it you would think he was beating the odds but the fact he was given 2-5 years to live in may 2011 makes it less so, if he is still here in 2017 then he could very well be beating the odds.The fact that he is in such good shape might have something to do with it . If his arms and muscles were stronger and bigger than the average joe naturally (along with will power) it would take longer to decline. He is firmly in the grip of ALS now and i would be shocked if he made it to 2017.

But then you have Chris woodhead still here 8 years after diagnosis so ALS can be ambiguous .

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not as up on ALS as I am on cancers), but the 2-5 life expectancy range for ALS is a misnomer isn't it? It's that people tend to die either within the first two years of the disease being diagnosed, or after five years or so. If you make it past the first 24 months of diagnosis you're probably good for another 1/4 decade.

• Like 1

Isn't it called Motor Neurone Disease any more, or is ALS something different?

Isn't it called Motor Neurone Disease any more, or is ALS something different?

ALS is the american name for it , Motor neuron disease I think (don't quote me on this) is the British / technical term for it .

Thought the yank name was re Lou Gherrig?

Ach. All the same in the end :)

Thought the yank name was re Lou Gherrig?

Ach. All the same in the end :)

Maybe so, but it's confusing as people will think these are two (three?) different diseases. I think it does matter with regard to public awareness, fundraising for research and so on.

It's the ice bucket disease....that covers the idiots who did the challenge...

Who is this guy?

Nobody knows who he is. Wat cos he was in the 1995 rugby World Cup final?

We dont all sit around watching "Invictus" on DVD all day bros

Guest Sir Creep

Still trying to figure out how Joost is supposed to obit in the UK. I had someone pick him here in the States and felt it was obtuse.

SC

Still trying to figure out how Joost is supposed to obit in the UK. I had someone pick him here in the States and felt it was obtuse.

SC

The Telegraph, The Independent, The Daily Mail and the BBC are all reporting his condition so it's a safe bet he'll get an obit when he goes to play on that great pitch in the sky.

• Like 1

SC

Rugby is a popular sport here. There is always a good chance that an international rugby player, especially from one of the big rugby nations, is going to get an obit in the UK

His illness has been covered by the BBC The Daily Mail and several other major networks.He will get an obit no problem!

Guest Harald was my friend

The most surprising thing is doctors have said there will be a cure in 4 years. I find this hard to believe they still don't know what causes it .I'm pretty sure i know what causes it though (working in the medical field myself i take an interest in stuff like this). The neuron's get overloaded and they're slowly turned off by the brain to protect them,the brian doesn't have a automatic restart for this. Probably the reason many athletes get this disease, or a part of the brain switches off the neuron's slowly (usually caused by a blow to the head) as a way to reset the brain and protect the body and a simple operation on the brain (if we can locate this part of the brain responsible for shutting off the neurons) could simply turn back on the connection (this won't help the neurons that have already died off though).If you think of your brain as a computer and think of safety cut out switches and shutting down due to being overloaded/overheated and MND as a consequence of these things it becomes alot more clearer and makes more sense. I'm still surprised to this day there hasn't been any trials ,tests ,experiments etc as to why a large proportion of athletes get this disease . I searched the internet many times and visited a few MND forums and nothing , even some of the sufferers are asking why a large percentage of those diagnosed are athletes . I'm more than positive the beginning of a cure lies there.

Hi! Please post your theory on as many websites as You can. I had a dear friend die from this in 2013. It sounds like You have a good idea here. Harald was very strong and then suddenly he began to waste away. It took about 2-3 years before he was gone. Thank You.