Davey Jones' Locker

Magicians And Hypnotists

Harry Lorrayne (Wiki), American magician dead at 96

He was well known for his incredible memory demonstrations and appeared on numerous television shows including 24 times on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson

• Like 4

Milt Larsen, also a magician and "creator" of Magic Castle has died at 92 as mentioned elsewhere.

Henry Lewis MBE from last page died in September at 102. Seems like he got no obituaries anywhere, but was also not picked anywhere here.

• Like 3

Guardian Obit for Hugh Lennon, originator of the canine magic act Hypnodoghttps://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/jul/20/hugh-lennon-obituary

Hugh's neice Krystyna Lennon took over the act with another dog Princess who appeared on Britain's Got Talent in 2015, only to later confirm (fnah fnah) that the whole thing was a fake.

The obit says that Hugh Lennon was a stormtrooper in Star Wars: A New Hope - I can't find anything to back that up.

• Like 4

On 04/11/2022 at 18:35, msc said:

All of these magicians seem to take ill in their 70s (even Teller above has heart issues), meanwhile David Berglas, who was doing magic before most of them were born, is quietly approaching his 97th year on the planet! 

Legendary British magician David Berglas (wiki) dead at 97 according to his son on Twitter:

https://x.com/marvinberglas/status/1720572427279724923?s=46&t=UENGoez2FLndgJC40K16Wg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Penn & Teller are on TV before the Superbowl but despite his recent health issues I think Teller looks better than Penn

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Penn & Teller are on TV before the Superbowl but despite his recent health issues I think Teller looks better than Penn

Honestly if you watch their series on the CW, they both look fine. They still tour relatively extensively in the off-season, including a recent tour of Australia.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Comped said:

Honestly if you watch their series on the CW, they both look fine. They still tour relatively extensively in the off-season, including a recent tour of Australia.

I think the main difference with Penn is that he has lost some weight and cut his hair. Teller still looks like Zooty (Zoot zoot)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think the main difference with Penn is that he has lost some weight and cut his hair. Teller still looks like Zooty (Zoot zoot)

If anything, Teller has the more worrying health history...

2 hours ago, Comped said:

If anything, Teller has the more worrying health history...

Which was my original point....

• Like 1

Stage Obit for Fred Van Buren, illusionist probably most famous for his vanishing motorcycle and rider trick: https://www.thestage.co.uk/obituaries--archive/obituaries/fred-van-buren-magician-illusionist

His son Andrew is also an illusionist.

Here is Fred doing the old fluorescent light penetration trick (oo-er, and whoo) (low quality off a black and white telly with no sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QRe0dMHx7k