Dead Wait

Ideas And Possibilities For 2016

It's been a bad year so far for progressive rock - having lost the masterminds behind both Tangerine Dream and Gong.

As for you Sir Creep, I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinions.

What about the other members of Can? Holger, Irmin and Jaki? They're all in their late 70s now. They can't last forever. I wouldn't say any of them would be strong candidates for 2016 but worth watching nonetheless.

If we're thinking about old musicians, what about the 80-year-old Leonard Cohen? Has he ever been considered for the list?

IMHO, people in their 70s (up to 80) are "too young" to be considered good candidates in the absence of any health (or at least, lifestyle) info. Leonard Cohen is still active, and I didn't hear about any life threatening illness either, so I'd wait until we have some cancer rumours or until he turns 90.

Well-stated, GG, in general. IMO all people regardless of age MUST have a medical reason to be mentioned, as stated herein:http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8444&p=221730

Now don't be an ass--obviously if you want to list people who are 112 go for it but don't heap praises upon yourself for getting one right for anyone over 100 to me. My 4-yr old daughter could compile that "No Shit, Sherlock" list.

SC

You're overlooking those people who, while not reported to be ill, are spotted looking unexpectedly frail.

Fair enough. I'm certain I can come up with 20 and maybe 50 (cancer alone) without resorting to these folks. I admit getting terribly annoyed when a death is reported and the culprit had 'long suffered from X disease' yet none of us knew. Maybe in a case like that you could resort to how a person looks; but if they're aloof enough to keep their medical conditions out of the media, how many photos will there be?

SC

Doesn't have to be photos. Could be someone actually seen, you know, in real life. Like at a sporting event, to give just one example.

Other factors to consider in evaluating prospects are their incentives for exaggerating or concealing maladies. People incarcerated or threatened with incarceration will exaggerate problems while celebrities who are still performing or otherwise active will tend to hide or deny illnesses.

• Like 1

Following a long line if DL lemmings who post elderly folk names with zero medical justification, I offer a hearty 99th birthday well wishing to renowned children's author Beverly Cleary, who has won numerous awards including a Newberry, thus an automatic obit.

SC

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Cleary

Guest Guest

i agree completely

i agree completely

Yes, but a bit too verbose for my taste.

i agree completely

Yes, but a bit too verbose for my taste.

He's got a case of the Tempuses. Tempus Fuckit is always blanking his old posts with dots.

Speaking of... wonder what he's up to.

It's been a bad year so far for progressive rock - having lost the masterminds behind both Tangerine Dream and Gong.

What about the other members of Can? Holger, Irmin and Jaki? They're all in their late 70s now. They can't last forever. I wouldn't say any of them would be strong candidates for 2016 but worth watching nonetheless.

If we're thinking about old musicians, what about the 80-year-old Leonard Cohen? Has he ever been considered for the list?

IMHO, people in their 70s (up to 80) are "too young" to be considered good candidates in the absence of any health (or at least, lifestyle) info. Leonard Cohen is still active, and I didn't hear about any life threatening illness either, so I'd wait until we have some cancer rumours or until he turns 90.

Well-stated, GG, in general. IMO all people regardless of age MUST have a medical reason to be mentioned, as stated herein:http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8444&p=221730

Now don't be an ass--obviously if you want to list people who are 112 go for it but don't heap praises upon yourself for getting one right for anyone over 100 to me. My 4-yr old daughter could compile that "No Shit, Sherlock" list.

SC

You're overlooking those people who, while not reported to be ill, are spotted looking unexpectedly frail.

Fair enough. I'm certain I can come up with 20 and maybe 50 (cancer alone) without resorting to these folks. I admit getting terribly annoyed when a death is reported and the culprit had 'long suffered from X disease' yet none of us knew. Maybe in a case like that you could resort to how a person looks; but if they're aloof enough to keep their medical conditions out of the media, how many photos will there be?

SC

Doesn't have to be photos. Could be someone actually seen, you know, in real life. Like at a sporting event, to give just one example.

For example P D James had nothing wrong with her of significance but she was still a hit last year.

Anyway it is always interesting when someone you had a hunch about gives you an unexpected hit.

• Like 1

SC

SC

For example P D James had nothing wrong with her of significance but she was still a hit last year.

Anyway it is always interesting when someone you had a hunch about gives you an unexpected hit.

I will always give credence to one's individual 'hunch' as it were. However said hunch is no basis for posting herein as an actual 'possibility' without something further, and I am unanimous in that. Under that theory we who are living all qualify. But I understand innate hunches. That's why I put Jerry Maren on one team with nothing but age as my champion.

SirC

I will always give credence to one's individual 'hunch' as it were. However said hunch is no basis for posting herein as an actual 'possibility' without something further, and I am unanimous in that. Under that theory we who are living all qualify. But I understand innate hunches. That's why I put Jerry Maren on one team with nothing but age as my champion.

SirC

I'm believe more than one person is required for unanimity to be achieved. Unless you're Mrs Slocombe of course.

• Like 1

SirC

I'm believe more than one person is required for unanimity to be achieved. Unless you're

of course.

That ^^^. Big fan (of the show) glad to see a forum in her honour.

SC

Saw Nick Robinson on the news of 10 and he sounded absolutely terrible much like the late Henry Cecil in terms of croakiness. Then again he has just undergone lung surgery so that isn`t too surprising and his cancer was said to be of the neuroendocrine variety much like Wilko Johnson`s which has a far better prognosis than many other forms of cancer. Certainly one to keep an eye on though.

Guest Guest

the fact he's back at work would suggest he's recovering well !

Doing the old google trail from one of the recent Nazi deaths, and via all the various Lord Haw Haws I came to Hanoi Hannah.

Next year she ( Trinh Thi Ngo ) will be 85 , and can't see owt really in last decade or so.

Anybody with any info on this purveyor of Truth v the imperialist capitalist Yankee infidels?

You can all thank me later..... Of course there is the obit question.

"James R. Messenger, the American Telephone & Telegraph Company employee who conceived The Theory of the Information Age on December 12, 1982, then led the effort to create a global digital telecommunications infrastructure to enable the worldwide interconnection of computers, has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer."

SC

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2015/03/18/father-information-age-james-r-messenger-66-diagnosed-terminal-cancer#axzz3XNp87Ji6

"James R. Messenger, the American Telephone & Telegraph Company employee who conceived The Theory of the Information Age on December 12, 1982, then led the effort to create a global digital telecommunications infrastructure to enable the worldwide interconnection of computers, has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer."

SC

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2015/03/18/father-information-age-james-r-messenger-66-diagnosed-terminal-cancer#axzz3XNp87Ji6

Did his name dictate his career choice and serve as inspiration, one wonders.

Since I can't decide if he's an academia, author, or cleric category entry, I'll plant it here.

J. Todd Billings, the Gordon H. Girod Research Professor of Reformed Theology at Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Michigan, has published his new book about dealing with his faith and terminal cancer.

SC

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2015/02/14/a-theologian-wrestles-with-incurable-cancer-and-life-in-christ/

SChttp://www.virtual-strategy.com/2015/03/18/father-information-age-james-r-messenger-66-diagnosed-terminal-cancer#axzz3XNp87Ji6

Appears to be same guy nominated for two Oscars, thus securing an obit next year. This guy is pure gold. YOU HEAR ME COMMITTEE???!!

SC

[James R. Messenger] appears to be same guy nominated for two Oscars, thus securing an obit next year. This guy is pure gold. YOU HEAR ME COMMITTEE???!!

There's no way of knowing with the DLCC, but I certainly did. :cover_ears:

SChttp://www.virtual-strategy.com/2015/03/18/father-information-age-james-r-messenger-66-diagnosed-terminal-cancer#axzz3XNp87Ji6

Appears to be same guy nominated for two Oscars, thus securing an obit next year. This guy is pure gold. YOU HEAR ME COMMITTEE???!!

SC

Just don't shoot him ;)

• Like 3

(...)

[James R. Messenger] appears to be same guy nominated for two Oscars, thus securing an obit next year. This guy is pure gold. SC

An obit is certainly likely, whether it will qualify him for a DDP hit is a question though. He received these nominations in one of the most obscure categories [documentary short], he only has a short imdb entry and doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

Anyways, the cancer seems to have affected his brain as well - in addition to his pancreas:

When I began my work over 30 years ago, I had only one goal, which still remains my goal to give the world a new chance as the Industrial Age was dying and to offer a Renaissance instead. However, the world is currently on two distinctly different paths:

China my best student literally sent me hundreds of geniuses, up to and including the Chairman of the State Planning Commission, to study Information Age Principles, Operation, and Effects with me directly. Today, anyone can see China is on an amazing path of resurgence and reaping the new Renaissance I dreamed of.

America and all of Western Civilization only saw my creation as a means for making money, and the West is now sinking rapidly into a Dark Age characterized by increasing tyranny.

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2015/03/18/father-information-age-james-r-messenger-66-diagnosed-terminal-cancer#ixzz3XOJfABvH

America is "sinking into tyranny" and China is "reaping the benefits of a new Renaissance"? Wtf is he on about? Which country has a "Great Firewall", "protecting" her citizens from "harmful information" (ie. criticism of her government)? Where would you feel free to criticize your own leaders or organize a demonstration/protest march online without risking a lengthy prison sentence?

This guy is a total nutcase.

America is "sinking into tyranny" and China is "reaping the benefits of a new Renaissance"? Wtf is he on about? Which country has a "Great Firewall", "protecting" it's citizens from "harmful information" (ie. criticism of her government)? Where would you feel free to criticize your own leaders or organize a demonstration/protest march online without risking a lengthy prison sentence?

This guy is a total nutcase.

Perhaps it's just a case of terminal cultural pessimism. That's not unusual in smart people on the brink of their demise.

America is "sinking into tyranny" and China is "reaping the benefits of a new Renaissance"? Wtf is he on about? Which country has a "Great Firewall", "protecting" it's citizens from "harmful information" (ie. criticism of her government)? Where would you feel free to criticize your own leaders or organize a demonstration/protest march online without risking a lengthy prison sentence?This guy is a total nutcase.

Perhaps it's just a case of terminal cultural pessimism. That's not unusual in smart people on the brink of their demise.

Interestingly I can't find a date of birth for this guy anywhere. Anyone able to pinpoint it? We know he's 66 so 1954-55.

SC