Davey Jones' Locker

Aristocrats

On 04/01/2021 at 20:14, Toast said:

The Peerage website doesn't give a death date for Lady Mary's younger brother, the Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon.

So I don't know if he's still about.

Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon was born on 29 May 1940.  He is the son of Captain Hon. Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon and Elizabeth Margaret Cator.
Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon usually went by his middle name of Albemarle.  He was educated at Eton College, Windsor, Berkshire, England. He was educated at Magdalen College, Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England.  He was director of Coutts & Company between 1969 and 1993.  In 1974 he was granted the rank of an earl's younger son.

https://www.thepeerage.com/p948.htm#i9476

Hon. Michael Albemare Bowes-Lyon, first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II dead at 83

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 09/09/2023 at 16:49, YoungWillz said:

Updating the list of Dukes, Marquesses and Earls who have reached or will reach 80 or over by or in 2024 (again, Wiki is my friend, any errors are theirs):

Ireland:

William Anthony Nugent, 13th Earl of Westmeath (b. 1928)

John Brabazon, 15th Earl of Meath (b. 1941) - No Individual Wiki Page

Roger Lambart, 13th Earl of Cavan (b. 1944) - No Individual Wiki Page

Derry Moore, 12th Earl of Drogheda (b. 1937)

Myles Ponsonby, 12th Earl of Bessborough (b. 1941)

Arthur Gore, 9th Earl of Arran (b. 1938)

John Savile, 8th Earl of Mexborough (b. 1931) - No individual Wiki Page

David Turnour, 8th Earl Winterton (b. 1943) - No individual Wiki Page

Robert Jocelyn, 10th Earl of Roden (b. 1938) - No individual Wiki Page

Thomas Pakenham, 8th Earl of Longford (b. 1933)

George Dawson-Damer, 7th Earl of Portarlington (b. 1938) - No individual Wiki Page

Michael Annesley, 12th Earl of Annesley (b. 1933) - No individual Wiki Page

Andrew Cole, 7th Earl of Enniskillen (b. 1942) - No Individual Wiki Page

Arthur Stuart, 8th Earl Castle Stewart (b. 1928)

Richard Hely-Hutchinson, 8th Earl of Donoughmore (b. 1927)

Charles Acheson, 7th Earl of Gosford (b. 1942) - No Individual Wiki Page

Brendan Parsons, 7th Earl of Rosse (b. 1936)

Sir Richard Needham, 6th Earl of Kilmorey (b. 1942)

Arthur Stuart, 8th Earl Castle Stewart, Irish peer, doesn't make the 2024 starting line: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/2023/11/the-8th-earl-castle-stewart-1928-2023.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'll stick this here -James Douglas-Hamilton reportedly dead: 

Following the reported death of James Douglas-Hamilton, heir apparent to the disclaimed Earldom of Selkirk is his son John Douglas-Hamilton (b. 1978)

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Following the reported death of James Douglas-Hamilton, heir apparent to the disclaimed Earldom of Selkirk is his son John Douglas-Hamilton (b. 1978)

I wonder if he will claim it. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

I wonder if he will claim it. 

Probably. Most sons of fathers who disclaim peerages end up taking them up.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 20:14, Toast said:

The Peerage website doesn't give a death date for Lady Mary's younger brother, the Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon.

So I don't know if he's still about.

Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon was born on 29 May 1940.  He is the son of Captain Hon. Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon and Elizabeth Margaret Cator.
Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon usually went by his middle name of Albemarle.  He was educated at Eton College, Windsor, Berkshire, England. He was educated at Magdalen College, Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England.  He was director of Coutts & Company between 1969 and 1993.  In 1974 he was granted the rank of an earl's younger son.

https://www.thepeerage.com/p948.htm#i9476

Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon dead at 83.

Died on 30th October. 

• Like 2

Ursula Bethell, Baroness Westbury (Wikidead at 99

image.png.9d8402e68360407402e6f0f4932c5c01.png

Death notice for the Hon. Harry St Clair Fane aged 70: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/fane-notices_54894

Interesting one this. He was the Second Page of Honour to HM Queen Elizabeth II between 1966 and 1968. His older brother is the current 16th Earl of Westmoreland, and, as the current Earl only has a daughter, Harry was the heir apparent. Therefore the heir apparent to the Earldom now moves to Harry's son Sam (b. 1989).

• Like 2

The Honourable James Ogilvy (brother in law of Princess Alexandra, The Lady Ogilvy) dead aged 89.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

The new Baronet Conant is 35 years younger so shouldn't be troubling us for a while.

Sir John Conant was the oldest living baronet. I have no idea who the new one is now but whoever it is they were born in 1927 or after so will probably be years until we see another centenarian baronet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

DDP selection for Diana Rotts so an hit if an obit comes in and LOTL if not. His family also out an announcement in the Times announcement page as well as the Telegraph. 

15 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The new Baronet Conant is 35 years younger so shouldn't be troubling us for a while.

Sir John Conant was the oldest living baronet. I have no idea who the new one is now but whoever it is they were born in 1927 or after so will probably be years until we see another centenarian baronet.

Oldest baronet is now Henry Stephenson, presumed 3rd Baronet (wiki, born November 1926).

Means there are now no living baronets born before QEII. However, there are still 5 living peers who were born between Sep 1920 and Mar 1926.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Oldest baronet is now Henry Stephenson, presumed 3rd Baronet (wiki, born November 1926)
Means there are now no living baronets born before QEII. However, there are still 5 living peers who were born between Sep 1920 and Mar 1926.

"Presumed" .... how intriguing. 

Wikipedia says "As of 2007 the presumed third holder of the title has not successfully proven his succession and is therefore not on the official roll of the baronetage, with the baronetcy considered dormant."

I wonder why not.  Succession to Baronetcy

His birth, parents' marriage, and father's death are all to be found in the GRO indexes.

The Peerage doesn't mention anything.

https://www.thepeerage.com/p58303.htm#i583021

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

"Presumed" .... how intriguing. 

Wikipedia says "As of 2007 the presumed third holder of the title has not successfully proven his succession and is therefore not on the official roll of the baronetage, with the baronetcy considered dormant."

I wonder why not.  Succession to Baronetcy

His birth, parents' marriage, and father's death are all to be found in the GRO indexes.

The Peerage doesn't mention anything.

https://www.thepeerage.com/p58303.htm#i583021

It's not uncommon. There are a lot of unclaimed titles. Once a holder dies, the heir apparent must apply to be officially recognised and enrolled on the register. Once it's approved, they announce it in the House of Lords.

Lord Trimlestown (wiki), hereditary peer (though an Irish title so was never a member of the House of Lords) dead at 93.

Spoiler

BARNEWALL (21ST BARON TRIMLESTOWN) Raymond died peacefully on 10th January 2024, aged 93. Much-loved brother of Diana Birtwistle (dec’d) and uncle of Caroline, Emma, Lucinda and Sophia. His funeral will take place at 3.30 pm at St Teresa of Avila church in Chiddingfold GU8 4UG on Wednesday 7th February.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It's not uncommon. There are a lot of unclaimed titles. Once a holder dies, the heir apparent must apply to be officially recognised and enrolled on the register. Once it's approved, they announce it in the House of Lords.

Do you think he hasn't bothered because he doesn't have a son to inherit?

Can the heir presumptive still apply if the previous holder was unconfirmed?

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Do you think he hasn't bothered because he doesn't have a son to inherit?

Can the heir presumptive still apply if the previous holder was unconfirmed?

No idea for what his reason may be.

Yes, an heir presumptive can apply even if the previous heir presumptive shunned it. What's more, I believe heirs can even re-establish titles even if their father/uncle/cousin/brother disowned it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

What's more, I believe heirs can even re-establish titles even if their father/uncle/cousin/brother disowned it.

Happened with a PM's son whose father disowned it... I can't recall his name right now though.

2 hours ago, Comped said:

Happened with a PM's son whose father disowned it... I can't recall his name right now though.

That might be Alec Douglas Home, I think.  He was an earl or baron or something.  He renounced his title though, which is different from never claiming it.

Nathaniel Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele (wiki) dead at 103.

A unique DDP pick and straight to a Telegraph QO.

He was the oldest living peer. That accolade now belongs to Andrew Bruce, 11th Earl of Elgin (wiki), who will turn 100 next month (he is an alleged descendent of Robert the Bruce).

Fiennes was also a non-affiliated member of the House of Lords from 1968 to 1999.

TELEMMGLPICT000224703503_17059199985870_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwVSYfRx-a0rm-wOQ3-QTCoU.jpeg.e604421383cd4768a397c64e3f3edd4b.jpeg

Also a British Army officer and WWII veteran. Fascinating account "From D-Day to Bergen Belsen" available here:

• Like 8

Just this morning I thought I'd find him among the recent deaths on Wikipedia. Crikey...