Sign in to follow this  
Philg

Oldest People

Hi all

I'm hoping somebody can clear this up for me. Is Ethel Lang (recently brown bread) famous for being old (formally oldest person alive in uk) or only famous because she was likely to die soon ?

Basically would she have been a valid choice for the deathlist ???? or would you not be able to count her on the list ?

She is not valid for deathlist, but is for many deadpools...which kind of undermines the idea of a 'celebrity' deadpool.

Having said that, I've plumped for the Attenborough widow this year...

Guest Guest

Well I think it doesn't matter why someone is famous.If they're famous they should be eligible,even if it is just because they are really old. I look forward to the committee changing the rules on th is for next year !

Well Windsor, guessing the trappings of DeathList have kept you from participating in any Dead Pools given that comment. THIS is the only list that ignores the 100-age scoring, and in fact there's no scoring at all just raw numbers. So if she is eligible at all it's here. Virtually EVERY DP has the rule you can't be 'notorious' simply cuz you are going to die soon. Thus, Ethyl would be eliminated as would any 'Oldest' person (as is Lauren Hill or the late Sam Berns). Secondly, with scoring at 100-age, who the hell would use a 110-year old and score (-10) when they die?? No one in any DP that's who. Note that DeathList was the only place where Luise Rainer at 104 was lauded as a 'successful' pick.

SC

• Like 1

Guest Phil

So to clear it up with a yes or no answer. Was Ethel a celebrity or not even though she was on BBC news ?

Well Windsor, guessing the trappings of DeathList have kept you from participating in any Dead Pools given that comment. THIS is the only list that ignores the 100-age scoring, and in fact there's no scoring at all just raw numbers. So if she is eligible at all it's here. Virtually EVERY DP has the rule you can't be 'notorious' simply cuz you are going to die soon. Thus, Ethyl would be eliminated as would any 'Oldest' person (as is Lauren Hill or the late Sam Berns). Secondly, with scoring at 100-age, who the hell would use a 110-year old and score (-10) when they die?? No one in any DP that's who. Note that DeathList was the only place where Luise Rainer at 104 was lauded as a 'successful' pick.

SC

I speak mainly of the DDP, which I regard to be the king of Dead Pools...mainly because I'm a part-timer.

Let me give a few examples...

Marlise Munoz...not a celebrity - just a poor 33 year old woman who was brain dead at the turn of the new year who was kept alive in an attempt to save her baby.

Derek Clarke - a 101 Scottish painter of no real note.

Kathy Craven...so unknown her death was referenced by her sister in a newspaper article.

Felix Glenny - terminally ill 23 year old who married on his deathbed.

Teresa Sandeman-Charles- terminally ill woman who encouraged people to become organ donors.

These are just a few chosen by the teams who were in 1st and 2nd place.

And yes, the worlds oldest also feature heavily in other teams...although admittedly much further down the scoreboard.

• Like 1

Hi all

I'm hoping somebody can clear this up for me. Is Ethel Lang (recently brown bread) famous for being old (formally oldest person alive in uk) or only famous because she was likely to die soon ?

Basically would she have been a valid choice for the deathlist ???? or would you not be able to count her on the list ?

I can't speak for the Deathlist, but people such as Ethel Lang are absolutely famous because of their longevity. The fact that they are "likely to die soon" is more of an occupational hazard.

With regard to deadpool validity, I don't think they are in the same category as those who are only notable because of terminal illness or coma situations. I feel that picking such people is against the spirit of the game, especially as they are usually relatively young (whereas the "famous for being very old" score low on the DDP). I am now resigned to a mediocre placing on the DDP, because I don't include them.

By the way, I think Lady Attenborough is a valid pick, Windsor: she was a reasonably well-known actress in her day.

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that supercentenarians (110+) shouldn't be included on the DL unless they're famous for other reasons.

Incidentally Gladys Hooper, Britain's oldest person, celebrated her 112th Birthday today. Looks like she might hold that title for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30873151

Incidentally Gladys Hooper, Britain's oldest person, celebrated her 112th Birthday today. Looks like she might hold that title for a while.

She's immobile and under a blanket, she might say she feels like a 70 year old but I'm not seeing her waddling down the Post Office to grab her place in the pension queue. She's one of ours however much she protests.

She's immobile and under a blanket, she might say she feels like a 70 year old but I'm not seeing her waddling down the Post Office to grab her place in the pension queue. She's one of ours however much she protests.

She's a bit of a cougar then. Wouldn't that finish her off?

This confused me as I thought 112 was the average age of people on the Isle of Wight.

We'd only know if someone gave it a go CoF, send her love letter and keep us informed of the results!

We'd only know if someone gave it a go CoF, send her love letter and keep us informed of the results!

Therein lays the problem! :)

Therein lays the problem! :)

Okay, so we're looking for volunteers...

• Like 1

Paging deathray...

(btw can a mod please lock this topic once its comedic course is over? (don't say "now then?"). It's really annoying having 2 "oldest people" threads...this one only exists cos a n00b decided to ask a n00b question)

So am I most of the time, and you don't see people picking me as their bloody joker, do you? :D

• Like 7

So am I most of the time, and you don't see people picking me as their bloody joker, do you? :D

That would be because you would, probably, be pissed and kebab bound Lardy. :lol:

(btw can a mod please lock this topic once its comedic course is over? (don't say "now then?"). It's really annoying having 2 "oldest people" threads...this one only exists cos a n00b decided to ask a n00b question)

It will sink into the deep and come to rest among the other unglorious topics.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Topic moved from main forum

It will sink into the deep and come to rest among the other unglorious topics.

regards,

Hein

Well it did but it's resurrected itself.

Yeah, it's risen from the dead.

Paging deathray...

she isn't an ex-pms wife doc ;):)

I don't think this topic is pointless at all. Many supercentenarians are mentioned in the press when they die and score in the DDP as well as many other pools (including my favorite, the Death League). I also disagree that supercentenarians shouldn't be on the DL unless they are "famous for some other reason". Why be so judgmental? Isn't it better to be famous for being really old than for being a mass murderer?

Anyway....... the reason I was looking for this topic is to ask all the Brits if they know anything recent about Ghahreman Pardis. I was going through my database looking for a replacement for Muhammad Ali and came upon Ghahreman. He made the news a few years ago because he was reputed to be the world's oldest man but wasn't recognized by Guinness because of his lack of documentation. He was living in Britain back then. I can't find any news to tell me if he's still kicking. Is he?

I don't think this topic is pointless at all. Many supercentenarians are mentioned in the press when they die and score in the DDP as well as many other pools (including my favorite, the Death League). I also disagree that supercentenarians shouldn't be on the DL unless they are "famous for some other reason". Why be so judgmental? Isn't it better to be famous for being really old than for being a mass murderer?

Anyway....... the reason I was looking for this topic is to ask all the Brits if they know anything recent about Ghahreman Pardis. I was going through my database looking for a replacement for Muhammad Ali and came upon Ghahreman. He made the news a few years ago because he was reputed to be the world's oldest man but wasn't recognized by Guinness because of his lack of documentation. He was living in Britain back then. I can't find any news to tell me if he's still kicking. Is he?

He was living in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire in 2013 and I'm pretty certain if he had croaked it the local newspaper would have reported it.

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/search?query=Ghahreman+Pardis&sortByFlag=true&sortBy=date