Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Labour U turn and decide to keep the single person council tax discount says the Telegraph.. 

I'm not sure how that's a U-turn since they never expressly said they were implementing it in the first place.

So far as I'm aware they've simply said they're not ruling any measure out that hadn't been previously (i.e. income tax, VAT and NI)

Further, since they've already got a good deal of bad press over the cessation of Winter Fuel Payments for pensioners I'd imagine that whacking all solo pensioners for another 500 quid a year (based on a 2k average council tax) is not going to look pretty (this only my opinion)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I'm not sure how that's a U-turn since they never expressly said they were implementing it in the first place.

So far as I'm aware they've simply said they're not ruling any measure out that hadn't been previously (i.e. income tax, VAT and NI)

Further, since they've already got a good deal of bad press over the cessation of Winter Fuel Payments for pensioners I'd imagine that whacking all solo pensioners for another 500 quid a year (based on a 2k average council tax) is not going to look pretty (this only my opinion)

It’s sort of a u turn as in politics not ruling out something tends to imply it’s going to happen. 

16 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s sort of a u turn as in politics not ruling out something tends to imply it’s going to happen. 

I'm sorry crem but that is simply speculation again. Partly yours.

There are numerous examples of media outfits asking if something is going to happen on the basis that a non-commital answer implies its a possibility or even probability, this creates news when there is none.

I scan The Guardian (as the only 'broadsheet' available freely now) and ask of each article "Is this news? Or woulda/coulda/shoulda?" You may be surprised at the number of articles that are the latter even when not marked as 'opinion'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

There are numerous examples of media outfits asking if something is going to happen on the basis that a non-commital answer implies its a possibility or even probablility, this creates news when there is none.

I scan The Guardian (as the only 'broadsheet' available freely now) and ask of each article "Is this news? Or woulda/coulda/shoulda?" You may be surprised at the number of articles that are the latter even when not marked as 'opinion'.

True but politicians really should say no we not doing that particularly on things that would only negatively affect people and has no direct positive effects.

I told you why they weren't denying it.

On 15/09/2024 at 11:14, Toast said:

I suspect that this is a rumour put out to distract from the winter fuel payment cock-up.  Give people something else to be outraged about and then have nothing come of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

There are numerous examples of media outfits asking if something is going to happen on the basis that a non-commital answer implies its a possibility or even probablility, this creates news when there is none.

Most of the content of news media these days is made up of speculation, repitition and denial.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AstroKat said:

Since the removal of the single person council tax reduction was merely speculation, though not publicly ruled out, this is not technically a U turn.

It is in Crem's world, where it had already been conceived and implemented to disastrous effect. Of course, in the real world, there was a lot of hot air, nothing was said or announced and now he's formally ruled it out. So now he's apparently u-turning on decisions he never even made. :facepalm:

I mean...when are we going to ban him?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

It is in Crem's world, where it had already been conceived and implemented to disastrous effect. Of course, in the real world, there was a lot of hot air, nothing was said or announced and now he's formally ruled it out. So now he's apparently u-turning on decisions he never even made. :facepalm:

I mean...when are we going to ban him?

If Crem had just stuck to "the Torygraph are reporting that the council tax reduction will stay" or words to that effect, it would have been fine. It was the addition of his U-turn spin that was irritating (at the very least). It's a habit he can't seem to break, and just rubs people up the wrong way.

• Like 1

Crem's posts

strawmen-800x520.jpg&nocache=1

• Haha 6

Can the budget happen now. Not in a month. Get it over and done with because the buildup to it is very tiring.

Not the only thing that's very tiring.

• Haha 2
  • Love 2

Refreshing to have different faces in the memes!

459572667_10233456105095162_462016061916

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Austrian general election on Sunday and the far right are the front runners to be the largest party and enter a coalition with the main centre right (Who have become not far of far right themselves) party. The far right there is very much a pro Russian far right party.