Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

12 minutes ago, TQR said:

LBC don't have get some exceptional callers sometimes; listen to this chap about the Tory Rwanda clusterfuck :lol::lol:

I could just imagine steam shooting out of his ears, his head rattling like an old kettle until whatever little thing he calls a brain pops out of his head, overheated from 2 minutes of thinking :lol:

• Like 2

Is Jeremy Hunt really considering cutting Inheritance Tax for the wealthiest and reducing welfare benefits for the poorest?

Now?

In the midst of a cost of living crisis?

Colour me astonished.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Is Jeremy Hunt really considering cutting Inheritance Tax for the wealthiest and reducing welfare benefits for the poorest?

Now?

In the midst of a cost of living crisis?

Colour me astonished.

And it seems Labour might support aspects of the Later. Wouldn’t be shocked if their support cutting inheritance tax either as many Labour target seats are in areas that have a lot of anti inheritance tax people.

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

And it seems Labour might support aspects of the Later. Wouldn’t be shocked if their support cutting inheritance tax either as many Labour target seats are in areas that have a lot of anti inheritance tax people.

Let's be clear on this.

This Tories have suppressed the starting rate for Inheritance for years, bringing more and more higher and middle earners into its ambit. So obviously there are more people against it.

Cutting it or even abolishing it therefore may be seen as popular. But you know who benefits the most? The millionaires, the multi-millionaires. The guy from the Institute for Fiscal Studies on QT this week was right - this will do nothing to change the direction of the country or encourage growth in the economy. But it will - surprise surprise - help line the pockets of our current governing party and their friends who they refuse to tax to help us all in the national interest.

On this, they are wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Rishi's discovered Word Art!

We should have done this years ago!

FB_IMG_1700321696579.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

F_I0gRdXUAAfKOs.jpeg

It is worth pointing out that, having looked up the speech, she's specifically talking about tolerance and fellowship towards commonwealth citizens (her father was a British citizen in Kenya, so presumably in Cruella's mind she was never an immigrant i  the first place). And she does express hope that the "current" Tory renegotiation with the EU will allow for the relationship to continue to prosper for decades to come - but that doesn't mean she thinks it should, nor does she suggest that she's optimistic the terms will be acceptable. She is less reprehensible in her maiden speech, says nice words about both Jeremy Corbyn and her Labour predecessor as MP of Fareham. But maybe it was all just a mask for the callous human being she was all along. Full text here: https://www.ukpol.co.uk/suella-fernandes-2015-maiden-speech-to-the-house-of-commons/

• Like 1

Schools should really try and avoid getting kids involved in this issue at all. 

Argentina new President is described  by the Guardian as more unpredictable than Trump and very very far right. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:
I would wager Sunak would go to the Palace first

How-to-Pray-more-often-400x400.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Argentina new President is described  by the Guardian as more unpredictable than Trump and very very far right. 

I've known about him for years now, more unpredictable than Trump? Probably, but I never saw him as very far right tbh, at least compared to other political candidates in the region.

The argies were fucked regardless of who won, the other guy in the running was the current minister of economy, who has overseen one of the worst economic crises in the country. I went to Argentina earlier this year and each day the inflation rate was worse. 

So it was truly a "pick your poison" type of election, the consensus I saw from some Argentinian friends was that at least with Milei there's some hope that he could maybe fix the economy, while Massa just seemed like a lost cause in that regard. 

19 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

I've known about him for years now, more unpredictable than Trump? Probably, but I never saw him as very far right tbh, at least compared to other political candidates in the region.

The argies were fucked regardless of who won, the other guy in the running was the current minister of economy, who has overseen one of the worst economic crises in the country. I went to Argentina earlier this year and each day the inflation rate was worse. 

So it was truly a "pick your poison" type of election, the consensus I saw from some Argentinian friends was that at least with Milei there's some hope that he could maybe fix the economy, while Massa just seemed like a lost cause in that regard. 

Considering how the global economy didn’t react well to Liz Truss economic plans I can’t see them being too supportive of something much more right radical 

Covid govt’s Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance is giving evidence at the Covid inquiry today. Could be interesting given the incredibly low regard in which he held Boris Johnson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

On 14/11/2023 at 19:05, RoverAndOut said:

Therese Coffey says she "nearly died" due to stress due to overworking as a Minister 5 years ago and was hospitalised for a month. I've checked and, at this time, she was a junior minister in the Department for the Environment and Rural Opportunity. That's it. So I'm sure that's the part of her lifestyle that was really an issue... :rolleyes:

Who is Therese Coffey? Cigar chomping Health Secretary who snapped at  Marcus Rashford - Mirror Online

Been there, done that HIGNFY! B):lol::clivedunn:

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 14:06, YoungWillz said:

Let's be clear on this.

This Tories have suppressed the starting rate for Inheritance for years, bringing more and more higher and middle earners into its ambit. So obviously there are more people against it.

Cutting it or even abolishing it therefore may be seen as popular. But you know who benefits the most? The millionaires, the multi-millionaires. The guy from the Institute for Fiscal Studies on QT this week was right - this will do nothing to change the direction of the country or encourage growth in the economy. But it will - surprise surprise - help line the pockets of our current governing party and their friends who they refuse to tax to help us all in the national interest.

On this, they are wrong.

Not the case in London where even the House I live in is in threshold deposit being small. 

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Not the case in London where even the House I live in is in threshold deposit being small. 

What's not the case?

30 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Look, if they had raised the starting level of inheritance tax years ago and continued doing so in line with other taxes, it wouldn't affect most people. It still doesn't really with 4% of estates falling into the bracket overall.

It's unearned income for the recipient. Death duties have been a way of life for this country forever.

Don't expect me to feel sorry for Londoners - they have had all the fucking Government money thrown at them for donkeys' years.

There are ways to avoid it and the exemptions are massive if you want to look for them.

George Osborne kept the rate low and the Tories have been too scared to raise the bar - after all, we don't have poverty, homelessness and food banks in this country because of all the taxes we pay. (Oh, wait, no that's all going to Matt Hancock's pub landlord, Owen Paterson's companies, educating the children of Russian and Chinese in the private education sector, need I go on?).

53 minutes ago, Toast said:

What's not the case?

Inheritance tax only being played by the ultra rich.

52 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Look, if they had raised the starting level of inheritance tax years ago and continued doing so in line with other taxes, it wouldn't affect most people. It still doesn't really with 4% of estates falling into the bracket overall.

It's unearned income for the recipient. Death duties have been a way of life for this country forever.

Don't expect me to feel sorry for Londoners - they have had all the fucking Government money thrown at them for donkeys' years.

There are ways to avoid it and the exemptions are massive if you want to look for them.

George Osborne kept the rate low and the Tories have been too scared to raise the bar - after all, we don't have poverty, homelessness and food banks in this country because of all the taxes we pay. (Oh, wait, no that's all going to Matt Hancock's pub landlord, Owen Paterson's companies, educating the children of Russian and Chinese in the private education sector, need I go on?).

It’s not unearned  income. Except for people that don’t like the concept of Family first, 

It’s probably the only tax in the UK which many people hate. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s not unearned  income. Except for people that don’t like the concept of Family first, 

It’s probably the only tax in the UK which many people hate. 

It sounds like the Tories are shying away from touching Inheritance Tax after all.

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to agree that Josephine Rich, yer granny, who bought up five properties to let in the late 1970s and who has been raising rents on those ever since and who has gained hundreds of thousands of pounds in the value of the properties should not be able simply to die as Josephine Multi-Rich and pass on all that unearned income by her to her kids and grandkids who will simply become Kiddie Rich and Grandkiddie Rich tax free.

I said before, we have to live with it as did our ancestors. Because it is the wrong time to cut it or abolish it as it adds no value or growth to the economy, but gives a lot of wealthy people more money, while Mrs Fulltimeworker-Minimum wage is working three jobs to put nappies on her kids, feed them and give them a warm house to live in.

Let's see what the last chance saloon government decide on Wednesday.

• Like 1