Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

58658591_screenshot(2).thumb.png.967ab28594ebb93df5f3a20c9b9915cb.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just saw a Conservative Party election broadcast from Ben Fucking Bradley explaining why we all really want Tory councils, not Labour councils. In amongst arguments that Tory Councils have more money (because their mates in Central Government funnel it to them) and that they have less crime (because people are less desperate in Bath than Blackpool astonishingly) there was a sly little xenophobic dig that you are more likely to be behind foreign nationals in line for social housing in Labour-run areas. Cunt.

Looked him up as it said he's a 2024 Mayoral Candidate - apparently for the East Midlands Region. What I didn't realise is not only is he currently the MP for Mansfield but he's the LEADER of Nottinghamshire County Council! How the fuck can he serve Mansfield in Parliament and run a county-wide local authority at the same time?! Another one raking in as much as he can before the balloon goes up.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just saw a Conservative Party election broadcast from Ben Fucking Bradley explaining why we all really want Tory councils, not Labour councils. In amongst arguments that Tory Councils have more money (because their mates in Central Government funnel it to them) and that they have less crime (because people are less desperate in Bath than Blackpool astonishingly) there was a sly little xenophobic dig that you are more likely to be behind foreign nationals in line for social housing in Labour-run areas. Cunt.

Looked him up as it said he's a 2024 Mayoral Candidate - apparently for the East Midlands Region. What I didn't realise is not only is he currently the MP for Mansfield but he's the LEADER of Nottinghamshire County Council! How the fuck can he serve Mansfield in Parliament and run a county-wide local authority at the same time?! Another one raking in as much as he can before the balloon goes up.

There's a weird lack of news or any kind of publicity around this new East Midlands Mayor position. Turnout for these elections around here is going to struggle to get above the teens because most people either won't be aware or will have forgotten there are elections in this region. The only other position up for grabs where I live is PCC... which even hardcore political nerds don't care about. 

It's a pretty woeful choice of candidates all round. Looking at the list, none of the other candidates seem to have any previous connections in the area (the Labour candidate was previously MP for a southern constituency) which makes you think they've just been parachuted in from party HQ and might have little understanding of the issues here. And there's no way on God's green earth I'd vote for Bradley. We already have too many nutter MPs in this area and we're not having a nutter mayor too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Sorry to be pendanic but Bath is a Lib Dem council and Lib Dem seat. 

Confirming what we already knew about “Levelling Up”:

IMG_9444.thumb.jpeg.8b3c5185ebf820b283a13ea675a3cef9.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TQR said:

Confirming what we already knew about “Levelling Up”:

IMG_9444.thumb.jpeg.8b3c5185ebf820b283a13ea675a3cef9.jpeg

Given the results of the last election, this could be a bit misleading. After all, a whole lotta Red Tory seats went Blue Tory last time out.

Nevertheless, Sunak's on record about taking money out of deprived urban areas and moving it to the traditional Tory voting areas.

Not sure what to do with this information, mind.

More faux rage from the Minister for *stifles laugh* Common Sense.

IMG_9445.thumb.jpeg.874b3af80f7e546f3d3ac4fb995dd4bc.jpeg

*sigh* Dipshit.

IMG_9446.jpeg.2b149bbf7a1571815ab228a8b4511070.jpeg

• Facepalm 1

40 minutes ago, TQR said:

More faux rage

Is it an actual expression you use in England ?

Cause the correct form would be fausse (feminine of faux) rage.

In France we’d rather use the expression "colère surjouée".

12 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Oh yeah, wouldn't be the only time English takes a foreign word and puts its own spin on it.

French-inspired phrases we use commonly use that are completely wrong include 'double entendre' (l'ambiguité/double sens) and 'ensuite' (not to mean 'next', rather, to mean 'bathroom adjoining a bedroom').

Sometimes happens the other way around. My favourite word in German is 'handy', meaning mobile phone. The thing is its own adjective!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Yes, we use "faux".  We don't have genders for nouns, so we don't use them for adjectives.

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

'ensuite' (not to mean 'next', rather, to mean 'bathroom adjoining a bedroom').

Oh, that one really grinds my gears.

"Is it en suite?"

"Yes, it's en suite with the corridor."

• Shocked 1

31 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Americans say "faux outrage."

1 hour ago, TQR said:

More faux rage from the Minister for *stifles laugh* Common Sense.

IMG_9445.thumb.jpeg.874b3af80f7e546f3d3ac4fb995dd4bc.jpeg

*sigh* Dipshit.

IMG_9446.jpeg.2b149bbf7a1571815ab228a8b4511070.jpeg

Amen, Matt. :salute:

• Like 2

Blinding idea was Brexit. Additional £145 charges for food imports have been introduced as a direct result of the UK's decision to impose economic sanctions on itself. Who'll be paying the extra, do we reckon: the EU importers, the UK retailers, or the UK consumers?

If you voted for Brexit and you're neither openly contrite nor honest about the extent to which you were conned, I'm afraid you must be a fuckwit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Oh yeah, wouldn't be the only time English takes a foreign word and puts its own spin on it.

French-inspired phrases we use commonly use that are completely wrong include 'double entendre' (l'ambiguité/double sens) and 'ensuite' (not to mean 'next', rather, to mean 'bathroom adjoining a bedroom').

Sometimes happens the other way around. My favourite word in German is 'handy', meaning mobile phone. The thing is its own adjective!

A 'smoking' in German also means a dinner jacket (i.e. a jacket you smoke in). It's funny how these things work.

The weirdest part is when French borrows words back from English that were given to it by French in the first place. 'Tennis' is seen by French language purists as one of those bastard Anglicisations ruining the purity of the language, even though it originally comes from the French 'tenez' (to hold). 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lilham said:

Americans say "faux outrage."

We use "faux" with any word.  Faux leather = imitation, synthetic.  Faux contrition = feigned, insincere.

• Like 1

Labour's poll lead is so high, Gove asked for their dealer's no.

• Like 2

Just posting this to get us back on politics.

1642574664_Image04-04-2024at00_57.thumb.jpeg.287be0dd2bb528882b761b51d77a55db.jpeg

11 Cabinet ministers face losing their seats: Jeremy Hunt, Penny Mordaunt, Grant Shapps, Mark Harper, Alex Chalk, Michelle Donelan, Simon Hart, Victoria Prentis, Johnny Mercer, Michael Tomlinson, David TC Davies

Which would be the Portillo moment ?  Cunt ? Mordunt ? Shapps aka Stockheath aka Fox ? 

JRM could also lose his seat too but still doubt it will happen

7 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:
Which would be the Portillo moment?

Penny Dreadful would be a hugely satisfying loss. I still think Rees-Morgue could well lose too, at which point I think I'll run a lap of Westminster swinging my shirt over my head.

• Like 2

Many of us remember 1992.

I'm sure Starmer et al are only too aware of that. 

However, it's a daily list on the news of how broken Britain is, that surely a change is needed. Whether Labour are the answer is a matter of debate.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Many of us remember 1992.

I'm sure Starmer et al are only too aware of that. 

However, it's a daily list on the news of how broken Britain is, that surely a change is needed. Whether Labour are the answer is a matter of debate.

Agreed, at this moment in time I'll take any exit poll from "Hung Parliament, Labour largest party" to "Labour majority, landslide likely". Let's make sure the Tories lose first, then we can (hopefully revel) in the scale of defeat.

And the problem we've got is even if Labour are the answer, nothing's going to change overnight given the mess they're in inheriting from the outgoing chancers.

• Like 1

Everyone is so antsy for this election now that the papers are printing daily predictions of hypothetical elections. It's like this forum every December with the What's your Shortlist and Who Should be on the Deathlist threads. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Which would be the Portillo moment ?  Cunt ? Mordunt ? Shapps aka Stockheath aka Fox ? 

JRM could also lose his seat too but still doubt it will happen

If Braverman and/or Badenoch lost their seat that would definitely meet it, both in terms of scale of shock and them each being leadership contenders after Sunak's departure.

29 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

If Braverman and/or Badenoch lost their seat that would definitely meet it, both in terms of scale of shock and them each being leadership contenders after Sunak's departure.

Think Braverman and Badenoch are probably safe. If either/both of those are losing their seats it's likely we're probably looking at the Tories in double digit figues (just about. In high 90s)

• Like 1