YoungWillz

That Portillo Moment

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Personally I did not know that Philip Davies (8,000 quid down the bookies on himself to lose his seat) is married to Esther McVey (minister for seemingly nothing).

Now this has been revealed, will there be a landslide of votes for him to prevent him winning his bet?

• Like 1

Time is up to enter the side game.

Masterlist brought forward.

YW

Rob Roberts (Clwyd East), Lee Anderson (Ashfield) and Bim Afolami (Hitchen).

Crem

Grant Shapps (Welwyn Hatfield), Johnny Mercer (Plymouth Moor View) and Esther McVey (Tatton).

BiblioG

Jonathan Gullis (Stoke-on-Trent), Tom Pursglove (Corby & East Northants) and Alex Chalk (Cheltenham).

SummerIT

Alex Chalk (Cheltenham), Lee Anderson (Ashfield) and Robert Largan (High Peak). 

TQR

Jonathan Gullis (Stoke-on-Trent North), Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North) and Jacob Rees-Mogg (North East Somerset and Hanham).

SlyRon

Steve Baker (Wycombe), Iain Duncan-Smith (Chingford and Woodford Green) and Robert Largan (High Peak).

LadyF

Jacob Rees-Mogg (North East Somerset and Hanham), Rishi Sunak (Richmond and Northallerton) and Priti Patel (Witham)

Thatch

Steve Baker (Wycombe), Jackie Doyle-Price (Thurrock) and Matt Vickers (Stockton West)

PhilB

Johnny Mercer (Plymouth Moor View), Jacob Rees Mogg (North Somerset and Hanham) and Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North).

msc

Sara Britcliffe (Hyndburn), Andrew Bridgen (NW Leicestershire) and Kenny McAskill (Alloa).

FatherB

Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North), Lee Anderson (Ashfield) and Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North)

Sleepiest

Liz Truss (South West Norfolk), Rishi Sunak (Richmond and Northallerton) and David TC Davies (Monmouthshire) 

DCIFrank

Johnny Mercer (Plymouth Moor View), Jacob Rees Mogg (North East Somerset and Hanaham) and Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North)

RedR

Mel Stride (Devon), Karl McCartney (Lincoln) and James WIld (North West Norfolk)

Toast

Steve Baker (Wycombe), Jonathan Gullis (Stoke-on-Trent North) and Chris Philp (Croydon South)

SodsLaw

Mark Fletcher (Bolsover), Ben Bradley (Mansfield) and Nigel Mills (Amber Valley)

diego

Bim Afolami (Hitchen), Liz Truss (South West Norfolk) and Esther McVey (Tatton)

MPFC

Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North), Brendan Clark-Smith (Bassetlaw) and Lee Anderson (Ashfield)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who will we be saying, so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye to today? Whose little face will crinkle up in failure? How will we know how Binface is reacting, given his face is actually a bin?

And the longest day begins!

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Who will we be saying, so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye to today? Whose little face will crinkle up in failure? How will we know how Binface is reacting, given his face is actually a bin?

And the longest day begins!

Home from work early, few hours kip and the fun begins!!!!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Sounds like someones worried they're going to be out on their arse later so are going to cry foul

Cry foul you say?

At least there's no chance of the losing leader inciting riots, being prosecuted for it and getting away with it because he put half the people in the supreme court who then determined he couldn't be prosecuted....

Never forget.

After the exit poll, sitting MPs still have to get up on podiums and face the scale of defeat.

This is where the real fun starts. Who will we relish the most getting a hot dogging? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Never forget.

After the exit poll, sitting MPs still have to get up on podiums and face the scale of defeat.

This is where the real fun starts. Who will we relish the most getting a hot dogging? 

I have to admit, that's how I've chosen my entry...

• Haha 1

Alphabetical list of entries:

Bim Afolami (Hitchen) - Lost by 7509

Lee Anderson (Ashfield) - Win by 5509.

Steve Baker (Wycombe) - Lost by 4591

Ben Bradley (Mansfield) - Lost by 3485

Andrew Bridgen (NW Leicestershire) - Lost by 15303

Sara Britcliffe (Hyndburn) - Lost by 1687

Alex Chalk (Cheltenham) - Lost by 7210

Brendan Clark-Smith (Bassetlaw) - Lost by 5768
Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North) - Won by 7247

David TC Davies (Monmouthshire) - Lost by 3338

Jackie Doyle-Price (Thurrock) - Lost by 8041

Iain Duncan-Smith (Chingford and Woodford Green) - Won by 4757

Mark Fletcher (Bolsover) - Lost by 6323

Jonathan Gullis (Stoke-on-Trent) - Lost by 5082

Robert Largan (High Peak) - Lost by 7908

Kenny McAskill (Alloa) - Lost by 17401

Karl McCartney (Lincoln) - Lost by 8793

Esther McVey (Tatton) - Won by 1136

Johnny Mercer (Plymouth Moor View) - Lost by 5604

Nigel Mills (Amber Valley) -  Lost by 5021

Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North) - Lost by 780

Priti Patel (Witham) - Won by 5415

Chris Philp (Croydon South) - Won by 2313

Tom Pursglove (Corby & East Northants) - Lost by 6331

Jacob Rees-Mogg (North East Somerset and Hanham) - Lost by 5319

Rob Roberts (Clwyd East) - Lost by 17885

Grant Shapps (Welwyn Hatfield) - Lost by 3799

Mel Stride (Central Devon) - Won by 61

Rishi Sunak (Richmond and Northallerton) - Won by 12185

Liz Truss (South West Norfolk) - Lost by 630

Matt Vickers (Stockton West) - Won by 2139

James WIld (North West Norfolk) - Won by 4954

Results will appear here during times I am awake. ;)

• Like 2

Jonathan Ashworth a worthy contender - perhaps not in the fullest sense as a Cabinet Minister, but still a shocker. A reverse Portillo.

2 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

It's the fact that it's the Greens that have taken her out that's the big thing for me

It's been corrected to a Labour gain.

• Sad 1

Rees-Mogg probably my favourite loss of the evening.

• Like 2

Mel Stride and Steve Baker are our outliers.

I need some sleep. 

See you in a few.

Truss top Portillo moment for me - two years ago she was on her way into Downing St. John Curtice nailed it, I thought, pointing out that the Tory vote only slipped into second after partygate and the vote last night for them is pretty much where Truss left it after her "fiscal event." Oh aye, and she was defending a majority of 23,000!

• Like 4

If you're strictly judging a "Portillo Moment" as the surprise defeat of a frontbencher who would have made an impact in the next Parliament, then Jonathan Ashworth is worth considering. That defeat came from nowhere.

• Like 3

The Penny Mordaunt loss reminds me a bit of George Allen, the Senator from Virginia who lost to Jim Webb in 2006 (and then the Senate switched to Dem control by one vote). Allen was widely regarded as a future Republican leader, VP or presidential candidate, maybe Senate majority leader.

Also, Mordaunt might have been a better future figurehead than the nasty women who survived this election. If one of these wins the leadership race, a rump Conservative Party might merge with Reform.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Also, Mordaunt might have been a better future figurehead than the nasty women who survived this election. If one of these wins the leadership race, a rump Conservative Party might merge with Reform.

That's what I've been thinking.  :(

Right, the results are in.

Rob Roberts lost by the largest margin (just pipping Kenny MacAskill) so for the second game in a row the winner is YoungWillz (me!).

Lady Fiona played with fire and went for a party leader. Rishi Sunak held on by the largest margin in the game and the wooden spoon is awarded to her.

All in all some creditable guesses and some welcome departures. Well done everybody. Also some unwelcome returnees to the Commons.

Truss couldn't bring herself to be on the podium and when she eventually made it, she couldn't even thank her constituents for the opportunity to serve them as she left for obscurity. Mordaunt's quavery losing speech was probably more about not getting the chance to be leader than losing her seat.

Democracy has spoken once again, and once again it has said "fuck you loser". If we are all here next time, let's do it all again.

• Like 2

Portillo snuck back into parliament through a by-election two years after 97 so there's nothing to stop Mordaunt or Rees-Mogg (or God forbid, even Truss) potentially doing the same in any by-elections that come up between now and the next election. Especially if one of the Reform boys keeps acting up and breaking parliamentary rules which is something I imagine won't take long after this election. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Portillo snuck back into parliament through a by-election two years after 97 so there's nothing to stop Mordaunt or Rees-Mogg (or God forbid, even Truss) potentially doing the same in any by-elections that come up between now and the next election. Especially if one of the Reform boys keeps acting up and breaking parliamentary rules which is something I imagine won't take long after this election. 

I think politics is more ruthless these days. Take Harold Wilson for instance. He swanned back into Downing St 4 years after defeat. That would never happen these days. If UK politics in 1970 was like it is today, he would have stood down as Labour leader the following morning.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Truss is toxic Tory toast, no constituency would want her. Think Mordaunt has enough support to get a second crack, mind.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Truss is toxic Tory toast, no constituency would want her. Think Mordaunt has enough support to get a second crack, mind.

I hope you're right about Truss. Also just noticed Tugendhat has managed to hold onto his seat. He'll probably end up as the Tory party's last chance to pull it in a somewhat sensible direction if Badenoch or Braverman start to get out the campaign placards for the next leadership race.