Rude Kid

Derby Dead Pool 2006

I bet Tim R is pissed off.

He, like me, chose Clarence Ray Allen, but decided to play his joker on Michael Morales, another execution possibility. Although Morales' execution did receive less publicity than Allen, you could bank on the Guardian or someone mentioning it.

However, Morales' execution has been indefinitely suspended & court actions may keep it suspended for some while i.e. 2007 onwards.

We'll wait & see, but that is unlucky - excellent research, and just his luck to choose the one execution that didn't happen!

Is it just me or does every condemned killer have an alliterative name or a middle name that always gets mentioned along with the first and last name?

Oh? Are you a condemned killer then?

The Genarians website is pretty dismissive that Dorothy Boyd is still alive. If she did die in the 1970's, that's not going to help Kali Comes To Dinner's chances.

Boyd by false hope??

He's also toyed around with Norah Baring on the site a lot too. NN&C is a good site because people who have the time to go through things such as the Social Security Death Index. If both of them are dead, I'm surprised none of the contributors have come across them in their research... they've found far more obscure people... leads me to think that they're alive, but personally I'd err on the side of caution and not include them on any deathlists of mine.

Here's a little DDP analysis...

I've listed all of the selections of 100 years or older who have not died. It comes out to 32 people. (There were some entries that were listed without a birthyear, so I've omitted them, though some are undoubtedly greater than 100 - the WWI veterans in particular). So, the experiment I'm going to do is track the top 20 remaining centurians to see how many die before the end of the year, keeping a point total. The maximum score that would generate is 84 (20 people x 5 points per person = 100 points - 20 points for everyone being over 80 + 4 points for the joker. Because I'm not doing anything original in terms of finding people I'm not going to assess points for uniqueness. I'm interested to see how that point total will compare with the eventual winner. Since there are several people from 1903 in the pool, the year that correspondes with the 20th pick, I'll use Johannes Heesters as the last pick because that person is first alphabetically. The joker will be Frank Scarrabelloti because he is the oldest man in Australia and I like Australians.

DDP Selections 100 yo or older

1. Maria Esther de Capovilla (1889)

2. Elizabeth Bolden (1890)

3. Emiliano Mercado del Toro (1891)

4. Henry Allingham (1896)

5. Frank Scarrabelotti (1896)*Joker

6. Ruby Mohammad (1897)

7. Harry Patch (1898)

8. Leila Denmark (1898)

9. John Campbell Ross (1899)

10. Boris Efimov (1900)

11. William Stone (1900)

12. William Roberts (1900)

13. Fredrica Sagor Maas (1900)

14. Harry Newcombe (1900)

15. Phillip D'arcy Hart (1900)

16. Claude Choules (1901)

17. Helen Gardiner (1901)

18. Hugues Cuenod (1902)

19. Brook Aster (1902)

20. Johannes Heesters (1903)

21. Mykola Kolessa (1903)

22. Arthur Marshall (1903)

23. Edward Upward (1903)

24. Phyllis Whitney (1903)

25. Jock Wilson (1903)

26. Eva Curie (1904)

27. Ruth Bernhard (1905)

28. Mary Glory (1905)

29. Stanley Kunitz (1905)

30. Charles Lane (1905)

31. Albert Hoffman (1906)

32. Kazou Ohno (1906)

It's a decent idea & one that might even triumph but I wouldn't even include Scarrabelotti, let alone make him a joker. If the UK's oldest lady gets almost nil coverage when she dies, why would Australia's oldest man get any press in the UK?

Those WWI veterans who don't have a birthdate are already dead. Oborne, Robinson etc. died a few years back. Incredibly sloppy research by those DDP'ers.

It's a decent idea & one that might even triumph but I wouldn't even include Scarrabelotti, let alone make him a joker. If the UK's oldest lady gets almost nil coverage when she dies, why would Australia's oldest man get any press in the UK?

Those WWI veterans who don't have a birthdate are already dead. Oborne, Robinson etc. died a few years back. Incredibly sloppy research by those DDP'ers.

Shouldn't someone perhaps tell Rude Kid about that? Or is it more a matter of not being able to find sources for the fact that they're dead?

Shouldn't someone perhaps tell Rude Kid about that? Or is it more a matter of not being able to find sources for the fact that they're dead?

I'm curious how important age is in the decision process. DDP simply provided a population of nominally famous people. They were picked merely because they're the 20 oldest selections that have a birthyear. Giving Scarrabelotti the joker was completely impulsive. I've never heard of the man, but I've barely heard of any of the people on the list anyway. I reasoned that it would make no difference who was the Joker since the hypothesis is that nearly all of them will die anyway. If my hypothesis is correct, it makes virtually no difference who the Joker is becuase there's a high probability it'll be a hit. Regarding the likelihood of an obit...since this is an artificial list, in the event there are no points awarded becuase of their obscurity, I'm still going to award points because this is just a casual experiment.

I didn't know about the dead WWI veterans - do you have a source, Mr Octopus? If so, I'll remove them from their respective teams, as we've already done with one of Fallen Sparrow's picks for the same reason. All I can find is a reference to Oborne still being alive in August 2004.

I thought you knew about them already RK - I'm sure I told you & you were going to take them off the list.

From Max Arthur's Last Post published October 2005 (and also Richard van Emden's The Last Tommy published August 2005:

Fred Lloyd d. 28 April 2005, Uckfield

John Oborne d. 23 October 2004, Bath

Norman Robinson d. 13 December 2004, exact place unknown

I think that's it - unless I've missed anyone. All the others listed are still alive.

By the way, whilst I was looking through the DDP list to see which ones were gone - there's no picture of Eddy Arnold (ie a red cross) it seems.

Congratulations to

Globaltruth

Time, Gentlemen, Please!

Tramp The Dirt Down (Joker)

All three of whom have got their first points on the DDP, with Cap Weinbergers demise.

I thought you knew about them already RK - I'm sure I told you & you were going to take them off the list.

Ah, you could be right - I'm slowly going senile. Don't bet against me for next year's list! :lol:

Anyway, that's all sorted - have decided to update their descriptions as opposed to removing them, and I've added a pic of Eddy Arnold. Ta for the info.

Site to be updated shortly for Weinberger's demise...

Considering he was an unique pick on the DDP & he has died an un-natural death, should we think about shopping The Caulkhead Coffin-Kickers to the authorities? Or should we wait until Hilda Braid (god forbid) suffers the same fate? :unsure:

Took me a while to work out you were talking about Denis Donaldson there - I'd missed that bit of news. Better do another update then. If I'd known the daft bugger was still living in Ireland, I'd have picked him!

Hes a popular one that Henry Allingham. Poor thing.

I feel kind of bad about putting war veterans in.

Henry Allingham is on my list and I had high hopes when he was admitted to hospital about 2 weeks ago with a chest infection, but now it seems to be just another false alarm. Hopeful this will change soon, as my last ddp hit was in January :blink:

WWI veteran 'stable' in hospital

John Kenneth Galbraith has died in hospital at age 97. He was selected by a total of 18 teams, but none of them selected him as their joker.

John Kenneth Galbraith dies

I'm depressed about the lack of action on my DDP. 5 Months gone and not one death. Can anyone offer me any crumbs of comfort? I'd have hoped Ross Davison and the King of Tonga might have succumbed at the very least by this stage. I despair at the inconsideration of the group below

Henry Allingham

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

Ronnie Biggs

Ross Davidson

Nick Du Toit

Michael Foot

Gerald Ford

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Stephen Hawking

Saddam Hussein

Lady Bird Johnson

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Jerry Lee Lewis

Jim Molyneaux

Prince Philip

Ferenc Puskas

Yves St Laurent

Jeremy Thorpe

King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV

Chad Varah

With the death of Louis Rukeyser, The Raven now moves into second place on the DDP.

I wonder if he'll get a UK obit?

With the death of Louis Rukeyser, The Raven now moves into second place on the DDP.

Well, he hasn't yet (yet being 3.30pm 3/5). 243 North American mentions though - strange that so many in one, not in another, but then John Lyall wouldn't get many obit mentions in America, for example.

I have a feeling that one of the broadsheets might mention his death in one of those "In Brief" deaths in the coming days, but it depends entirely on how many famous people die in the next few days. If there's a few, it might just push him down the obituary ranks.

Well, he hasn't yet (yet being 3.30pm 3/5). 243 North American mentions though - strange that so many in one, not in another, but then John Lyall wouldn't get many obit mentions in America, for example.

I have a feeling that one of the broadsheets might mention his death in one of those "In Brief" deaths in the coming days, but it depends entirely on how many famous people die in the next few days. If there's a few, it might just push him down the obituary ranks.

When I posted the link, I assumed he would. After Laurel Hester, I tend to assume that if there's even a chance I could have heard of them in normal day life, they would get a UK obit.

Fairly enough though OoO, it most likely will depend on how many famous people die in the coming days... but I think the teams will be fine in the end.

EDIT: And now DDP awaits two obits: Father of golfer Tiger Woods, Earl Woods has died

EDIT: And now DDP awaits two obits: Father of golfer Tiger Woods, Earl Woods has died

Still nothing at all on Rukeyser, but this BBC link gets all those teams who selected Earl Woods points.

I'll send an e-mail saying the same to RK & SB but William Roberts, WWI veteran has died. That's a unique pick for Above Average For Norfolk, who certainly needs the extra points after choosing a WWI veteran who was already dead (Robinson)

Rukeyser watch:

5pm Thurs: No broadsheets. There is one only mention - the US-geared Monsters & Critics site. However the broadsheets tend to get their US news from AP or Reuters. Still could be up in the air this one - 1 sole mention in the UK in two days is a bit worrying for the teams who chose him.

Rukeyser watch:

I find it strange that he's got obituaries in India, Romania and North Korea, but not one that I could find for the UK. :(

Rukeyser watch:

I find it strange that he's got obituaries in India, Romania and North Korea, but not one that I could find for the UK. :(

Yep, still nothing.

I possibly think that too much time has elapsed for say, a BBC or general news obit, so it might depend solely on broadsheets. We shall see.

He's dead and gone. With respite, he was an asshole.