Rude Kid

Derby Dead Pool 2006

Two more successes liven up proceedings; Henry McGee & Coretta Scott King. However the top of the scoreboard remains unchanged. Looking forward to the pictures going up soon.

Also noticed Miura failed to get the obit officially & that last year's champion Fallen Sparrow has only 19 runners as one had already died.

Go Fish has a very strong line up, it must be said.

As for me, I'm still convinced my team is a strong one, but the excellent start made by others puts a few doubts in mind. But then, there are 11 months to go. If all 19 go in December, it still counts, doesn't it?

Two more successes liven up proceedings; Henry McGee & Coretta Scott King. However the top of the scoreboard remains unchanged. Looking forward to the pictures going up soon.

Also noticed Miura failed to get the obit officially & that last year's champion Fallen Sparrow has only 19 runners as one had already died.

Go Fish has a very strong line up, it must be said.

As for me, I'm still convinced my team is a strong one, but the excellent start made by others puts a few doubts in mind. But then, there are 11 months to go. If all 19 go in December, it still counts, doesn't it?

Of course, don't be disheartened. The best finishes are the ones that occur in the last hours.

It is certainly shaping up to be an interesting year.

Al Lewis's death doesn't change the DDP leader, but it does make Grizly equal second with FPKKK, on 19 points.

Al Lewis's death doesn't change the DDP leader, but it does make Grizly equal second with FPKKK, on 19 points.

Damn, you figured that one out fast... I was in the process of doing so when this was posted...

In the ddp, he was selected by a total of 26 teams, with only "Noah Reason & the Clowns of Death" choosing him as their joker.

And here is a U.K. obituary from the Guardian.

Actor, Politician Al Lewis Dies at 95

I wonder who the 3rd oldest is now

Wonder no longer.

Old Farts

would it be cheating to e-mail that link to Rude Kid and say the top 20 represent my DDP entry for 2007? I'd bet they'd all get a "mention in the UK media" when they die, i.e. the world's lowest fame threshhold.

would it be cheating to e-mail that link to Rude Kid and say the top 20 represent my DDP entry for 2007? I'd bet they'd all get a "mention in the UK media" when they die, i.e. the world's lowest fame threshhold.

From watching people lower on that list of the 20 oldest drop off, I believe that there's been at least a few of them that barely got an obit in America, never mind in the UK...

Ronnie, please tell me you didn't spend the whole of Valentine's evening alone in front of the computer, posting snidey little remarks aimed at people you don't even know?

As I said almost 2 years ago when you first started banging on about the DDP definition of "famous", I'm open to suggestions. I'm still waiting...either come up with something better or change the record.

Now, Go Fish has already had a great start, but whether he/she wins the DDP may hinge on a UK site giving recognition to this death:

Laurel Hester

Now, Go Fish would get 14 points if there is a mention, which would give them a massive lead. However, i'm doubtful Hester will get the required obit as the only Uk mentions in the last month have been from Gay & Lesbian sites only - let's see....

Now, Go Fish has already had a great start, but whether he/she wins the DDP may hinge on a UK site giving recognition to this death:

Laurel Hester

Now, Go Fish would get 14 points if there is a mention, which would give them a massive lead. However, i'm doubtful Hester will get the required obit as the only Uk mentions in the last month have been from Gay & Lesbian sites only - let's see....

I had to do a bit of research to find out who Laurel Hester was. It is a risky move for Go Fish to select her as the joker, as she definitely does not fulfill the famous enough category. It will be interesting to see if she gets the required U.K. orbit to allow Go Fish to grab a 15 point lead.

Laurel Hester

I had to do a bit of research to find out who Laurel Hester was. It is a risky move for Go Fish to select her as the joker, as she definitely does not fulfill the famous enough category. It will be interesting to see if she gets the required U.K. orbit to allow Go Fish to grab a 15 point lead.

She was one of the people that I had to find a picture for and it took me forever to do so. I'd be fairly surprised if she gets a mention in the UK but, if she does, props to Go Fish for their pick.

Ronnie, please tell me you didn't spend the whole of Valentine's evening alone in front of the computer, posting snidey little remarks aimed at people you don't even know?

As I said almost 2 years ago when you first started banging on about the DDP definition of "famous", I'm open to suggestions. I'm still waiting...either come up with something better or change the record.

If you really wanted to set higher standards you could insist on a BBC obituary.

If you really wanted to set higher standards you could insist on a BBC obituary.

We did consider limiting it to a shortlist of serious UK newspapers (plus the Beeb), but Siegfried felt that would be too strict.

Since the above post, Ronnie has PM'd me to suggest setting up a committee who would decide whether someone was famous enough, à la DL - not a bad idea, but probably too labour-intensive given the number of different "celebrities" picked in the DDP.

We did consider limiting it to a shortlist of serious UK newspapers (plus the Beeb), but Siegfried felt that would be too strict.

Since the above post, Ronnie has PM'd me to suggest setting up a committee who would decide whether someone was famous enough, à la DL - not a bad idea, but probably too labour-intensive given the number of different "celebrities" picked in the DDP.

I think the current system is fine. Some of the more sketchy fame testers, like Laurel Hester, aren't looking like they'll get an obit, so I think it does its job.

I'm one who feels it should actually be stricter ie broadsheet or BBC only, but really you need some level - I think half the excitement of the DDP is "yes, they're famous, but in Britain??" - until a few days before his execution, I was having major doubts over having picked Clarence Ray Allen, let alone as my joker, for example.

It should stay as it is - that's what makes it unique (and is the main reason why I only do that one dead pool) amongst the other dead pools as otherwise we'd all post obscure old Americans & the challenge would be much less, but that's just me.

Laurel Hester is barely getting any press outside of New Jersey, never mind the U.S. Seems highly unlikely that Go Fish's gamble will pay off.

In brighter news, almost every last picture is now showing on the DDP. <_<

Laurel Hester is barely getting any press outside of New Jersey, never mind the U.S. Seems highly unlikely that Go Fish's gamble will pay off.

In brighter news, almost every last picture is now showing on the DDP. <_<

Yeah, last check last night, was one in Florida, one in Pennsylvania, 19 news reports overall. Similiar to say, a High School principal, who gets a lot of obits locally but none nationwide. The only way I can figure it'll change is if the Guardian does something like "test case for lesbian rights" blah blah.....

In brighter news, almost every last picture is now showing on the DDP. :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...5630764,00.html

Go Fish is on fire in the DDP, as he/she leads, is the only one who had Hester, and the scoreboard hasn't yet been updated.

(Edit - or wait, does just an obit on the Guardian on-line site not qualify for DDP?)

Does anyone know the identity of this 'Go Fish' person?

Could be a valuable asset to the DL....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...5630764,00.html

Go Fish is on fire in the DDP, as he/she leads, is the only one who had Hester, and the scoreboard hasn't yet been updated.

(Edit - or wait, does just an obit on the Guardian on-line site not qualify for DDP?)

Well I'll be damned. I'm seriously surprised. How did Keizo Miura not get one?

I think there should be a rule on the DDP requiring a minimum of two national UK obituaries,

otherwise someone working for a newspapers online edition could easily slip in obituaries of their choice.

A surefire way to win the DDP.

I think there should be a rule on the DDP requiring a minimum of two national UK obituaries,

otherwise someone working for a newspapers online edition could easily slip in obituaries of their choice.

I've been wondering that a bit myself... I wonder if there's anyone out there who does that. It's really random that CNN didn't pick up the Laurel Hester story, yet The Guardian did...

I've been wondering that a bit myself... I wonder if there's anyone out there who does that. It's really random that CNN didn't pick up the Laurel Hester story, yet The Guardian did...

well, as someone pointed, out she was a lesbian.....

Surely the newspaper would have to retract the obituary if the person isn't actually dead ?