maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

I want to say, "sad!". I do like the movies they made out of his books. But I read the first pages of both The Road and Blood Meridian, and they're both pretty dense. They need lots of attention. Well, maybe later.

• Like 1

Very sad, he was probably the biggest writer still alive in the world ! But it's a hit in my World list

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

BBC standards continue to fall. They have his birth year as 1930, rather than 1933.

Really sad news.  As a bit of a post apocalyptic literature fan, The Road is right up there with the best of them.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

British humorist novelist Mavis Cheek reportedly dead: 

Her debut novel, Pause Between Acts, was about her dismay at discovering Ian McKellen was gay.

Dog Days and The Sex Life Of My Aunt are worth a read.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9161627/

Born on the 15th June 1948 according to this so might be a birthday death. https://www.writerswrite.co.za/the-writers-write-interview-mavis-cheek/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Born on the 15th June 1948 according to this so might be a birthday death. https://www.writerswrite.co.za/the-writers-write-interview-mavis-cheek/

Interesting question in that interview from 2007. 

3.Which  living person do you most dislike?

""Any lying politician".

• Haha 1

On 20/05/2023 at 19:41, YoungWillz said:

Martin Amis dead according to the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/20/books/martin-amis-dead.html

Oesophagal cancer. 

I believe he's a DDP pick.

Edit: Nope, not a pick from what I can see. Must've been picked before.

Knighted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65914516

Wasn't it Henry Cotton who also didn't make the starting line?

• Shocked 1

On 06/01/2023 at 17:41, drol said:

Kureishi stable. Seems it's not his time.

Hanif Kureishi discharged from hospital after six months.

image.png.cb42831d83339c6bdf2b9c1237abe661.png

• Like 4

Report of the death of novelist Bill James (real name James Tucker, aka David Craig and Judith Jones): 

Best known for his detective fiction series featuring Harpur And Iles. A former journalist might get him obits.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0185824/

• Like 2

American author Laird Koeing (Wikidead at 95

His best-known novel, The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, published in 1974 was adapted into the 1976 film of the same name starring Jodie Foster.

Laird Koenig - Babelio

• Like 2

On 19/06/2023 at 20:25, drol said:

Hanif Kureishi discharged from hospital after six months.

image.png.cb42831d83339c6bdf2b9c1237abe661.png

Grim tweet from Hanif Kureishi.

Not sure if you have to be on Twitter to open it, so in case anyone can't read it, here's the full text.

Spoiler

DESOLATION ROW I don’t know if this has ever happened to you. But it has certainly happened to me. I have entirely lost my appetite. I cannot eat more than two or three mouthfuls of melon, or of pain aux raisins. Sometimes I have some chocolate or a protein drink and all day a little bit of water. But otherwise my appetite is dead.

I have felt nauseous most of the time and have vomited. When I see my sons tucking into a massive salmon and cream cheese sandwich I am shocked by how much they manage to consume. Friends bring me the most delicious food they can think of to try and tempt me, but there is not a particular taste I am looking for. All food repulses me. But because I have been living in a hospital since Christmas, it wouldn’t be surprising that I have become disillusioned, and no longer read the papers or watch the news.

I have no desire to watch movies or comedy shows. In the evenings, before Isabella leaves me, she always reads to me from my friend David of Bromley’s blog, and then several delicious pages from Elton John’s autobiography, which always cheers me up before the long fear and desolation of the night, that I have to go through alone. It isn’t surprising, since I am so depressed and ill, that my libido has died. At least one more discouraging thing.  

I found out in Rome that the doctors there have been giving me a small amount of anti-depressant. I didn’t ask for them, and I didn’t particularly want them, but I discovered they were on my pharmaceutical agenda.

Here, in this new hospital, they have doubled the dose, since I didn’t much notice I was taking them anyway. Asking around my friends, it turns out that at least 50% of them have been, or currently are on, some kind of anti-depressants. Some have been running major institutions on them.

One friend has been taking them for twenty years, because he has reproachful thoughts after midnight, and has no intention of giving the meds up. Other friends have been off and on them for most of their lives. They all ask me what particular variety I am taking but I can never remember the name or pronounce it. I never wanted to take them since I have my own cure in psychoanalysis twice a week. One friend said “anti-depressants get you to the party and psychoanalysis enables you to enjoy the party once you get there”.

I avoided them because I didn’t want to mess with my brain, which I require in order to be a writer. But I am beyond that now. I am suffering more than I deserve.   I cannot believe that I have been living on a dementia ward for three weeks, because that is where they have been able to find a room for me. It is worse than a bad joke. The cries and howls are very disturbing.  Previously I had led a lucky life; I had all the luck in the world. Now it has run down. I spend as much of the day as I can with friends. People are still keen to visit me. I have given up writing for conversation. I can no longer make things up for a living - it seems too artificial in the face of this absurdity - and I have to say that the conversation has been a lot of fun. I like listening to others. People’s generosity and kindness has overwhelmed me.

In circumstances like this you really find out who your friends are, and how loving people can be. I wish I had been kinder; and if I get another chance, I will be. 
Hanif xx

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 06/05/2023 at 21:04, drol said:

Italian writer Michela Murgia (wikisuffers from kidney cancer which has spread to lungs, brain and bones. In other words, utterly fucked.

Should QO as a prominent critic of the current government and Italian right in general. To me she has always been an obnoxious nobody, the kind of dangerous cunts you find on both political sides.

Michela Murgia has married after a series of hospital stays and is deteriorating by the day.

Her posts are continuous violations of Italian language. Obnoxious as few others.

• Like 1

David Potter who was Celtic FC historian and the author of over 60 books on football and cricket dead aged 74

15 minutes ago, justonecornetto said:

David Potter who was Celtic FC historian and the author of over 60 books on football and cricket dead aged 74

What a perverted and wasteful way to spend your life.

José Murilo de Carvalho was born in Andrelândia and died in Rio de Janeiro at the age of 83 on August 13, he was a Brazilian historian. He obtained his doctorate in political science from Stanford University, defending a thesis on the Brazilian Empire, Carvalho has published and organized 19 books and more than 100 articles in journals. He was a member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences and the Brazilian Academy of Letters, where he was the sixth occupant of Chair 5. He was elected to the Brazilian Academy of Letters on March 11, 2004, succeeding Rachel de Queiroz

https://www.cnnbrasil.com.br/nacional/morre-o-cientista-politico-e-historiador-jose-murilo-de-carvalho/

Morre o cientista político e historiador José Murilo de Carvalho

• Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 16:05, drol said:

Likely Italy's most famous living writer, or surely in the top five, Alessandro Baricco (wiki) is suffering from leukemia and will undergo bone marrow transplant in the next few days.

Baricco undergoes second bone marrow transplant after leukemia recurrence.

• Like 2

French writer Diane de Margerie dead at 95. She worked as translator of English litterature, and she was married for several years to the French academician : Dominique Fernandez. 

• Like 1