DevonDeathTrip

General Non School Massacre Thread

I don't believe it's Islam that's the problem but Islamists. I recently read a pretty good book on the subject by an American Halibut named Dr. Zuhdi Jasser.

By Dr Z ?

fannylock.gif

• Like 4

I don't believe it's Islam that's the problem but Islamists. I recently read a pretty good book on the subject by an American Halibut named Dr. Zuhdi Jasser.

By Dr Z ?

fannylock.gif

How about that?

I often say I have problems with God, it some of his fan club that scares me.

My neighbours are devout Lutherans. Just a couple of years ago when we had the vote to allow same-sex marriage, they were outspoken in their opposition to it. Even to the point of putting up a sign stating "1 man + 1 woman = 1 marriage". Even though I get on well with them, I can't help secretly hoping one of their kids comes out declaring they're gay.

• Like 1

My neighbours are devout Lutherans. Just a couple of years ago when we had the vote to allow same-sex marriage, they were outspoken in their opposition to it. Even to the point of putting up a sign stating "1 man + 1 woman = 1 marriage". Even though I get on well with them, I can't help secretly hoping one of their kids comes out declaring they're gay.

Yeah, people who openly oppose gay marriage annoy me. It doesn't affect your life at all, why do you care what other people do?

• Like 3

Yeah, people who openly oppose gay marriage annoy me. It doesn't affect your life at all, why do you care what other people do?

Well their argument tends to be that people should only get married for the purposes of procreation. In which case post menopausal women and infertile couples should be outlawed from getting married.

One of the dates comments I saw around that time was if they permit gay people to marry, they because they can't procreate that they would die out.

Then they'll quote Leviticus 18:22 then if you question which other rules in the book of Leviticus they believe, they'll say "oh Peter said you can ignore the old scriptures"

If it was such a huge deal, surely that would have featured highly on the 10 commandments.

• Like 7

Well their argument tends to be that people should only get married for the purposes of procreation. In which case post menopausal women and infertile couples should be outlawed from getting married.

One of the dates comments I saw around that time was if they permit gay people to marry, they because they can't procreate that they would die out.

Then they'll quote Leviticus 18:22 then if you question which other rules in the book of Leviticus they believe, they'll say "oh Peter said you can ignore the old scriptures"

If it was such a huge deal, surely that would have featured highly on the 10 commandments.

Except in a gazillion years, no-one ever suggested that should be the case, until it was cooked up for the purposes of that incredibly irksome sideshow of a fucking argument :rolleyes:

Seriously that chestnut could not be more annoying if it had "Part of the Discworld series" emblazoned on it.

Some handy advice (not from 'our' handy, the boy doing the vid looks like Maradonna), for our American posters.

Fucking hilarious .

Some handy advice (not from 'our' handy, the boy doing the vid looks like Maradonna), for our American posters.

Fucking hilarious .

We have a similar one that we have to watch as part of the compulsory training programs each year. The acting is just as terrible Unfortunately in our office if someone did go postal with a gun, they could easily take out a quite a few people before they're stopped. The only rooms we have to take refuge in are conference rooms (which have large windows on the side so you could easily tell if someone is in there.) or the bathrooms. Our managers from high up have the philisophy that it should be all open plan and departmental managers should just have slighter higher walls for their cubicle.

Fucking hilarious .

We have a similar one that we have to watch as part of the compulsory training programs each year. The acting is just as terrible Unfortunately in our office if someone did go postal with a gun, they could easily take out a quite a few people before they're stopped. The only rooms we have to take refuge in are conference rooms (which have large windows on the side so you could easily tell if someone is in there.) or the bathrooms. Our managers from high up have the philisophy that it should be all open plan and departmental managers should just have slighter higher walls for their cubicle.

I appreciate such democratic sentiments, but what I'd like to know is what kind of arrangement those managers from high up have made for themselves. 3 ft brick walls, perhaps?

Fucking hilarious .

I appreciate such democratic sentiments, but what I'd like to know is what kind of arrangement those managers from high up have made for themselves. 3 ft brick walls, perhaps?

They're located about 1,000 miles away in nice swanky offices.

We have a similar one that we have to watch as part of the compulsory training programs each year. The acting is just as terrible Unfortunately in our office if someone did go postal with a gun, they could easily take out a quite a few people before they're stopped. The only rooms we have to take refuge in are conference rooms (which have large windows on the side so you could easily tell if someone is in there.) or the bathrooms. Our managers from high up have the philosophy that it should be all open plan and departmental managers should just have slighter higher walls for their cubicle.

Now I assume that by "bathrooms", you mean the toilets. :rolleyes:

One of those senseless American usages, but leaving that aside for the moment, this does conjure up an amusing picture.

• Like 1

We have a similar one that we have to watch as part of the compulsory training programs each year. The acting is just as terrible Unfortunately in our office if someone did go postal with a gun, they could easily take out a quite a few people before they're stopped. The only rooms we have to take refuge in are conference rooms (which have large windows on the side so you could easily tell if someone is in there.) or the bathrooms. Our managers from high up have the philosophy that it should be all open plan and departmental managers should just have slighter higher walls for their cubicle.

Now I assume that by "bathrooms", you mean the toilets. :rolleyes: One of those senseless American usages, but leaving that aside for the moment, this does conjure up an amusing picture.

Yes, sorry. I mean the toilets. When I'm at work, I get stuck in work-mode.

The toilets aren't that big, they're also windowless. So if someone did decide to shoot up the place and they were able to get into the bathroom, there's hardly anywhere to take cover.

Now I assume that by "bathrooms", you mean the toilets. :rolleyes: One of those senseless American usages, but leaving that aside for the moment, this does conjure up an amusing picture.

The toilets aren't that big, they're also windowless. So if someone did decide to shoot up the place and they were able to get into the bathroom, there's hardly anywhere to take cover.

Are you not in Minnesota??

Surely you are all safe over the winter months because its too fucking cold to go out on a shooting spree!!!

• Like 2

Are you not in Minnesota??

Surely you are all safe over the winter months because its too fucking cold to go out on a shooting spree!!!

Yep, I'm in Minnesota, but we have those things called skyways. There you can cover a lot of ground downtown and not have to go outside.

http://www.skywaymyway.com/

If someone did decide to go on a shooting spree, they could take out a fair number of people.

• Like 1

Anyone up for a game of "predict the next terrorist atrocity on Western soil"?

I'm going for several different cities around the UK in the week before Christmas. Groups of armed and suicide belted jihadists simultaneously run amok in busy shopping precincts, causing utter carnage. The final death toll will be about 150-200.

Over to you. :ph34r:

France, again. New Year's eve. Around 250 on a train shooting.

Except in a gazillion years, no-one ever suggested that should be the case, until it was cooked up for the purposes of that incredibly irksome sideshow of a fucking argument :rolleyes:

Seriously that chestnut could not be more annoying if it had "Part of the Discworld series" emblazoned on it.

Let me guess you're a homophobic shit as well as racist one.

I'm going for several different cities around the UK in the week before Christmas. Groups of armed and suicide belted jihadists simultaneously run amok in busy shopping precincts, causing utter carnage. The final death toll will be about 150-200.

I'd hazard a guess at either Bluewater shopping center in Greenhithe, or perhaps Westfield shopping center in Stratord for an attack in the UK.

France, again. New Year's eve. Around 250 on a train shooting.

Let me guess you're a homophobic shit as well as racist one.

To be fair, Dr. Z is aware of my sexuality and in our various chats over time he's never come across as homophobic; quite the opposite in fact.

One of the tunnels - Blackwall or Dartford

Didn't the IRA attempt something like that?

Blackwell, late 70's.

Blackwell, late 70's.

Thought as much. To be fair the IRA'S tactic was to cause as much disruption rather than kill as many people. Of course there were times people did die. A friend of mine was killed when the bomb at Harbour Exchange near Canary Wharf was detonated.

Very sorry to read of your loss Phantom.

An attack on the tunnels would be pretty grim these days given the increase in traffic and their slow-moving nature - I wasn't aware of the IRA Blackwall attempt. Even an incendiary device would be ghastly, given the example of the various alpine tunnels.

• Like 2

It was pretty much an incendiary, but dwarfed by the potential at Canvey Island, that would've huge. 750,000 gallons of aviation fuel.

The Secretary of State for the Home Department (Mr. Merlyn Rees) With permission, I wish to make a statement. At 10.40 p.m. last night a bomb exploded at a Texaco oil terminal on Canvey Island, producing an 18-in diameter hole in a tank containing aviation fuel. The fuel escaped from the tank into a safety moat and did not catch fire. The Essex police had received no advance warning that a bomb had been planted.

At midnight a caller told the Press Association that the Provisional IRA had planted a bomb on Canvey Island and another bomb in the Blackwall tunnel, 1989 both of which were to explode at midnight. This message was passed immediately to the Essex police and the Metropolitan Police, but the explosion at Canvey Island had already taken place. The Metropolitan Police searched the Black-wall tunnel, and while they were doing so, at 12.40 a.m., a bomb exploded at a gasholder near the south exit of the tunnel, causing an explosion and fire. At 1.30 a.m. a second gasholder caught fire. By 3.15 a.m. both fires had been extinguished, and a secondary fire at 4.15 a.m. was quickly dealt with.

There were no injuries as a result of these explosions. In addition to the two bombs that exploded, a further explosive device was discovered yesterday lying partly covered at the side of the M6 in Leicestershire. Army bomb disposal experts were called and safely defused the device. The police are carrying out detailed investigations into all these incidents. The debris from the bomb that exploded and the unexploded device will be carefully examined for any evidence that may help the police to trace those responsible for these and the earlier incidents. It was fortunate that no one was killed or injured by these explosions, but their potential danger cannot be overstated. No estimate has yet been made of the damage caused to property.

I am sure that the House will join me in condemning these attacks and will support the Government in their determination not to be swayed by such methods. The vigilance of the public and co-operation with the police are of the utmost importance as the threat of further attacks remains high.

It was pretty much an incendiary, but dwarfed by the potential at Canvey Island, that would've huge. 750,000 gallons of aviation fuel.

The Secretary of State for the Home Department (Mr. Merlyn Rees) With permission, I wish to make a statement. At 10.40 p.m. last night a bomb exploded at a Texaco oil terminal on Canvey Island, producing an 18-in diameter hole in a tank containing aviation fuel. The fuel escaped from the tank into a safety moat and did not catch fire. The Essex police had received no advance warning that a bomb had been planted.

At midnight a caller told the Press Association that the Provisional IRA had planted a bomb on Canvey Island and another bomb in the Blackwall tunnel, 1989 both of which were to explode at midnight. This message was passed immediately to the Essex police and the Metropolitan Police, but the explosion at Canvey Island had already taken place. The Metropolitan Police searched the Black-wall tunnel, and while they were doing so, at 12.40 a.m., a bomb exploded at a gasholder near the south exit of the tunnel, causing an explosion and fire. At 1.30 a.m. a second gasholder caught fire. By 3.15 a.m. both fires had been extinguished, and a secondary fire at 4.15 a.m. was quickly dealt with.

There were no injuries as a result of these explosions. In addition to the two bombs that exploded, a further explosive device was discovered yesterday lying partly covered at the side of the M6 in Leicestershire. Army bomb disposal experts were called and safely defused the device. The police are carrying out detailed investigations into all these incidents. The debris from the bomb that exploded and the unexploded device will be carefully examined for any evidence that may help the police to trace those responsible for these and the earlier incidents. It was fortunate that no one was killed or injured by these explosions, but their potential danger cannot be overstated. No estimate has yet been made of the damage caused to property.

I am sure that the House will join me in condemning these attacks and will support the Government in their determination not to be swayed by such methods. The vigilance of the public and co-operation with the police are of the utmost importance as the threat of further attacks remains high.

One thing the IRA did give as well, was an warning ahead of time. Although in that case the device had already gone off before it was supposed to.

The one they detonated at Hammersmith Bridge in 2000 was at 4:30am, so not a great deal of traffic at that time in the morning, but not far off from rush hour traffic starting.

I've not seen it documented any where, but in 1991 we had an anonymous call to the Canary Wharf security control room where I was working at the time. I'm not sure if it was an incendiary device or just a hoax.

After 2 hours of searching, police found what was a box that would hold a heavy masonary drill packed full of nails and washers, with wires leading to an electrical panel. That was a day ahead of when John Major was due to visit the site. All the construction workers had already left for the day. So if it was an actual device the damage would have been mostly to the structure of the building rather than designed to and may have killed or injured any security guard that happened to be doing their rounds at the time.

Very sorry to read of your loss Phantom.

An attack on the tunnels would be pretty grim these days given the increase in traffic and their slow-moving nature - I wasn't aware of the IRA Blackwall attempt. Even an incendiary device would be ghastly, given the example of the various alpine tunnels.

Thank you, it's greatly appreciated.

• Like 1