themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

F

F

Is that a grade? Bit harsh if it is.

Yeah, if I were grading Sir Creep's first DDP year, I'd give it a B- : under-performed expectations, but expected to do much better next semester...

• Like 1

F

Is that a grade? Bit harsh if it is.

Yeah, if I were grading Sir Creep's first DDP year, I'd give it a B- : under-performed expectations, but expected to do much better next semester...

The original post was a rant about Adamowicz. Amended to the shortened form of "F uck, I've posted without looking again"

• Like 1

Latest update...

• Like 3

Is it just me, or is some of the coding on the derby Deadpool page seems strange.

Is it just me, or is some of the coding on the derby Deadpool page seems strange.

In what way?

In what way?

When I go to the page, none of the pictures show up, and apart from the blog stuff, the wording seems a bit messed up as well. Then again, it could just be me.

What browser are you using?

What browser are you using?

I'm using Safari on my phone

That's probably why then!

DDP is created from Microsoft. I wonder if there's a tool I could use which would produce a format compatible with both OSs?

My medium/long term aim to to make the production of the pages as simple as possible in view of a probable handover of duties...

• Like 2

That's probably why then!

DDP is created from Microsoft. I wonder if there's a tool I could use which would produce a format compatible with both OSs?

My medium/long term aim to to make the production of the pages as simple as possible in view of a probable handover of duties...

You finally found someone to do it?

Oh we're along way from that, my friend!

But just in case I do decide to jack it all in, I want to make the succession as smooth as possible.

There's still a lot of work to be done to get the website up to date and functioning properly. For a start I'm going for a re-think in terms of pics/bios,

the front page and the archives. This year has gone so quickly though I haven't had the time /wherewithal to do everything I want to.

I have a teetering Access database of 10,000+ celebs, an eye-watering, old school front page and tons of pics weighing the site down.

I want to ring the changes, make it leaner, meaner and cleaner but do I have the time to do it?

Hmm, is there a way you could set up the site to allow other folk to do a lot of the typing/deleting photos/other non-programming issues that might need done? I'm so technologically inept, I once set a microwave on fire - but surely there's some way of lessening the load through more hands, as it were?

Just thinking aloud.

PS - See for the bios, do we actually need pics? They must add a bunch to the server, you get asked to take some down, others die, and it must take time to find and upload each one. Seems like it'd be easier just to axe them and stick to pics on the front page/news archive bits. Again, just musing aloud.

The only realistic way I could get others to contribute in the way you are suggesting is by switching domains to a site in which the database and control panel is integrated. But that would have to be paid for...

However, I have had a bit of a windfall recently, so I could in theory "own" the website, set up the place and then allow others to run it with me as the overall supremo.

There really needs to be some changes. The current database is badly in need of updating and refining. When the current format was created by Rude Kid & Seigfried Baboon in 2003, there were probably a few hundred celebs, now there's 10,400 odd which only has coding using just 6 digits, with many of the notes out of date or misspelt etc. As the celebs are added, many with similar names (for instance John Smith would be smithj on the database) so you soon have to make all sorts of allowances to get the celebs in, which in turn leads to many being in the wrong place. The schema is all over the place in terms of naming convention, place of origin and so on.

A new website would in all likelihood mean a new database with codes and of course that all has to be transformed into a competition, with points and rules, which is certainly beyond my programming abilities (just what the fuck is a boolean anyway?).

With the nomination process due to kick off in 6 weeks or so, there simply isn't any time to apply the changes the website badly needs - it is operating at the limit.

If we crowdfunded (sigh) the process, how much would we be needing to look at? I can get a quote for a complete programming update for the site, hopefully at (work)mate's rates...

• Like 2

If we crowdfunded (sigh) the process, how much would we be needing to look at? I can get a quote for a complete programming update for the site, hopefully at (work)mate's rates...

That's the community spirit - all for one and all that.

• Like 1

If crowdfunding doesn't work, teams could get points for donated money. Say, 1 point per £10.

• Like 1