themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

I'm hoping daily mail or the mirror obits her, because she has been mentioned by them in articles before.

I'm hoping daily mail or the mirror obits her, because she has been mentioned by them in articles before.

Also just noticed that I have reached 300 posts, although this posts is post number 301

My empathetic side thinks that's a shame, she seemed nice.

My deadpooler side thinks "Fourth place (providing acceptable QO of course)! I wonder how Joost is doing..."

Bored and up early (or late). So I came across this obituary notice for a Gladys Sangster from last year (2015): http://announce.jpress.co.uk/banbury-guardian-&-review/obituary/gladys-sangster/42831852

Now I'd frankly be amazed if there were two people named the same both aged 97 and living in Banbury at the same time. However, with due respect, I cannot tie the news stories to the obituary. It's likely the same dear lady, I'm afraid.

Bored and up early (or late). So I came across this obituary notice for a Gladys Sangster from last year (2015): http://announce.jpress.co.uk/banbury-guardian-&-review/obituary/gladys-sangster/42831852

Now I'd frankly be amazed if there were two people named the same both aged 97 and living in Banbury at the same time. However, with due respect, I cannot tie the news stories to the obituary. It's likely the same dear lady, I'm afraid.

With information from a Daily Mail editorial and digging around in the GRO records, it's definitely one and the same person.

• Like 1

David Jenkins is another Unique hit for me. There is a BBC obit but I am posting from my phone.

Hugh O'Brian a unique hit for The afterLife of Brian theme team. Wow.

SC

PS: Shame the Gene Wilder write up failed to mention he was married to Gilda Radner.

I could have added a lot more to the Wilder obit, namely his own writing/directing work ('Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother' for example) but I leave that to the proper obit writers!

I watched 'Young Frankenstein' on Friday in tribute and although 'Blazing Saddles' has more laughs, I think this might be Brooks' best film...

A couple days ago where I was at there was a back-to-back theater showing of Willy Wonka and Blazing Saddles, which made for a great time. With the latter, thinking of how many names from Mel Brooks's stable are gone makes me grateful that at least Brooks himself is still around...

A couple days ago where I was at there was a back-to-back theater showing of Willy Wonka and Blazing Saddles, which made for a great time. With the latter, thinking of how many names from Mel Brooks's stable are gone makes me grateful that at least Brooks himself is still around...

Well, Brooks may be the last survivor of his films. Considering how all of them died.

Best to post obits in the thread of death as they will be included in the round up here anyway, unless they're on the list of the lost. Good work though.

David Jenkins was my fifth unique hit across all my team this year and the third for Unusual Suspects. I may not be challenging for the title but I do like to get a good unique hit.

• Like 2

David Jenkins was my fifth unique hit across all my team this year and the third for Unusual Suspects. I may not be challenging for the title but I do like to get a good unique hit.

Certainly an inspired choice!

• Like 1

Certainly an inspired choice!

Apparently he had been suffering from Alzheimers for quite a while but I did not know that when I picked him. I was going to promote him to Joker for 2017.

Latest Update.

Three months until nomination period begins. Probably the right time to revive debate about rule tweaks and so on...

• Like 4

Latest Update.

Three months until nomination period geins. Probably the right time to revive debate about rule tweaks and so on...

You meant faff around yet more unnecessarily with the format and rules?

First two-penneth worth; do not split the theme team league out and certainly don't abandon it.

Second two-penneth, introduce a rule meaning each pick much be submitted with evidence of fame dating from before public knowledge of any illnesses. Say goodbye to cancer fundraisers and other ridiculous picks.

• Like 1

introduce a rule meaning each pick much be submitted with evidence of fame dating from before public knowledge of any illnesses. Say goodbye to cancer fundraisers and other ridiculous picks.

thumbs-up-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.g

Amen to that.

Bonus points for being in the drop 40 is a suggestion I will be making.

I forgot my reasoning on this. I think it will be fair for everyone if this bonus points for drop 40 is accepting. Most of the top winners are choosing celebrities who are terminally ill, and while some will make it into the drop 40, people who want to compete to win but see terminally ill people they have never seen might make them feel a bit bad. With the inclusion of the drop 40 bonus points, if it happens of course, it might have some tighter competition. Sure, most of the top 30 would still be at top, but it might finally give some other people a better shot at winning.

• Like 1

Hmm, what defines fame though?

I think deadpools should be operated in an inclusive and anti-discriminatory fashion and am therefore uneasy about excluding any parties from the proceedings.

Hmm, what defines fame though?

In my opinion anything of note that they have done before their illness. A wikipedia page about them or a project they have been involved could be a reasonably low barrier.

Random thoughts...

• I dislike "They need to have a Wiki" or other such rules. Only folk I'd outright ban from appearing on the DDP are kids, and they already are, thankfully.
  • Difference between the likes of Dr Granger, Tomlinson, etc and the cancer mums and comatose no names for me. I'd prefer the latter to be...less picked, whereas the former I'm fine with. The "if hit by a bus" idea clearly doesn't work for me, I'd better describe it as active v passive. ie, "I've got cancer but I'm doing this public thing and have a raised profile as a result" vs "I'm ill, the papers have written about me, I'm dead". I don't know how you'd deal with that though. There are options (lowering points for these types of picks, restricting number of them per a team, banning them entirely) but all have flaws and I'm not sure if the site can even do some of them.

• Number of teams per individual is up to the Host, but 3 seems reasonable enough to remain. [Just this week I've come up with a theme team idea which, far as I can see, has never been done, so will be retiring the Gallifreyan Regeneration Game and Honourable Member... in 2017.]

• We seem to have a decent array of Qualifying Obits. Hopefully they aren't getting trimmed again, and if I had any suggestions it would be to bring back one of the Scottish newspapers. I know, they're a bit shit, its just for peace of mind. :P
  • I don't know how easy or not it is to add new bonuses to the game. I liked your idea of the First and Last bonus, for example. Can't think of any other bonuses which would be interesting though. Two on a day bonus, where you get extra points for 2 (or more) hits on the one day? Hattrick (ie 3 points for scoring 3 of the following with a single pick - unique, unnatural, 13th, party pooper, joker)?

Oh yes, one I forgot...

• A new bonus point - anyone picked by Pan Breed gets an 100 point bonus on their death, and, to be on the safe side, anyone who doesn't die gets 200 point bonus. Sounds fair to me. :biggrin:
  • Like 1