Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Full Times obit reveals he died from cancer.

Which depending on the type of cancer and treatment being undertaken can be quite easy to keep secret but still make public appearances. 

• Like 1

cronies.thumb.jpg.5889291d0e612f498d6c0522964bb6b0.jpg

Cuban old guard at an event a week ago: José Ramón Machado Ventura (93), Guillermo García Frías (95), Ramiro Valdés Menéndez (91), and Raul Castro (92). 

García Frías looked half-dead and froze for multiple minutes (there are videos online) the others still seem, unfortunately, very well for men in their 90s.

• Like 5

On 09/06/2022 at 21:23, arghton said:

PERU

Francisco Morales Bermúdez (1921-2022) President/Military dictator 1975-1980, Prime Minister 1975, Minister three times between 1968 and 1975. Wheelchairbound but not very frail.

Uriel García Cáceres (1922) Health Minister 1980-1982. Has looked ancient for ages but seems like he's doing well.

Patricio Ricketts (1924) Former Minister of Education. Not 100 percent sure he's alive.

Martha Hildebrandt (1925-2022) Fujimorist President of the Congress 1999-2000. Frail.

José Burgos Ramos (1926) Former Mayor of Sullana.

Celso Sotomarino Chávez (1926) Former Member of Parliament.

Yes alive and now dead at 99

• Like 6

PERU

Francisco Morales Bermúdez (1921-2022) President/Military dictator 1975-1980, Prime Minister 1975, Minister three times between 1968 and 1975. Wheelchairbound but not very frail.

Uriel García Cáceres (1922) Health Minister 1980-1982. Has looked ancient for ages but seems like he's doing well.

Patricio Ricketts (1924) Former Minister of Education. Not 100 percent sure he's alive.

Martha Hildebrandt (1925-2022) Fujimorist President of the Congress 1999-2000. Frail.

José Burgos Ramos (1926) Former Mayor of Sullana.

He died in 2019 .

Celso Sotomarino Chávez (1926) Former Member of Parliament.

Luis Alvarado Contreras (1928) President of the Congress in 1990, former Member of Parliament and Ambassador to Germany.

Celso Sotomarino Chávez died in August.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 15:46, arghton said:

Khamtai Siphandone 100th birthday run held today. Seemingly the first of a large amount of celebrations. Khamtai himself nowhere to be seen but his wife is there.

I'm assuming most of the images used in the articles are quite old. Here's one from 2018 of Soomro with Balakh Sher Mazari, Sherbaz Khan Mazari and Ataullah Mengal.

Siphandone fails to appear again. I guess we won't see him anymore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drol said:

Siphandone fails to appear again. I guess we won't see him anymore.

No new images anywhere. There's even an image of a birthday cake for him on facebook but Siphandone is nowhere to be seen. His two successors were well enough to receive visits & pose for images late last month. Ages 87 and 86, but both look like they're going to make 90+. Also, Lt. Gen Ai Suriyaseng (ໄອ່ ສຸລິຍະແສງ, I believe he's Ai Soulignaseng on Wikipedia, former Cent'l Committee member who retired in 1996) who's 95 or 96 was visited.

I'll give it until tomorrow evening considering that birthday event his wife attended was apparently held yesterday. If there's no news by then, he's very likely very ill.

7 hours ago, arghton said:

No new images anywhere. There's even an image of a birthday cake for him on facebook but Siphandone is nowhere to be seen. His two successors were well enough to receive visits & pose for images late last month. Ages 87 and 86, but both look like they're going to make 90+. Also, Lt. Gen Ai Suriyaseng (ໄອ່ ສຸລິຍະແສງ, I believe he's Ai Soulignaseng on Wikipedia, former Cent'l Committee member who retired in 1996) who's 95 or 96 was visited.

I'll give it until tomorrow evening considering that birthday event his wife attended was apparently held yesterday. If there's no news by then, he's very likely very ill.

As I've already mentioned in another topic, I think he's dead. They just wanted to celebrate his 100th birthday and are probably planing to announce his death a few weeks after. And yes, we will never see him again cause he's not there anymore. xD

5 hours ago, Tower1 said:

As I've already mentioned in another topic, I think he's dead. They just wanted to celebrate his 100th birthday and are probably planing to announce his death a few weeks after. And yes, we will never see him again cause he's not there anymore. xD

It's ridicolous every Laotian news about his 100th birthday does not even remotely mention his whereabouts. In fact they would give the wide impression he is dead already, except he isn't. 

Surely he is bedridden, to the point they would pixel his face like they do with very ill cadres in neighbouring Vietnam, but I also think he must be on some form of life support or even braindead and kept breathing like the Thai princess. 

Anyway being a former head of state, the richest man in the country and the father of the current PM, his death could not be concealed even in what is a dictatorship.

15 hours ago, arghton said:

If I’m not mistaking, several articles refer at thé celebration as the « 100th anniversary of Siphandone’s birth » which is a very odd phrasing. Wouldn’t be too surprised if he’s already dead and they announce it in some days 

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

If I’m not mistaking, several articles refer at thé celebration as the « 100th anniversary of Siphandone’s birth » which is a very odd phrasing. Wouldn’t be too surprised if he’s already dead and they announce it in some days 

No, he received "longevity wishes". 

12 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

On facebook he was praised as at 100 still strong, intelligent, helpful, agile, thoughtful etc. 

Of course none of that is true but he's definitely still alive and people in his condition can live god knows how long, see Võ Nguyên Giáp, Zsa Zsa, Vajirañāṇasaṃvara, Dilip Kumar, Leslie Phillips, Sheikh Salem Al-Ali, Tu Tongjin, Zhang Lixiong, Violeta Chamorro, others...

• Like 1

Yes, may be better to book the restaurant for his 150th birthday.

On 26/06/2022 at 21:06, Lafaucheuse said:

Former Minister of Justice Robert Badinter (wiki) who abolished death penalty back in 1981 turned 94 this year. Alongside with Edouard Balladur, I think he's one of the few old French politician who meets the fame criteria of the DL and who could be eligible to take over from Le Pen or Delors, once one of them is dead. A massive figure in France who still does interview as we saw last week where he made a zoom meeting talking about LGBT rights in the midst of Pride month.  

Worth mentioning he was married to actress Anne Vernon, born 1924 (wiki), famous for her role in The Umbrellas of Chebourg and who was also talked about here before. 

His actual wife is Elisabeth Badinter (wiki) who is 78, advocate and feminist, a brilliant mind who's everywhere this time in French medias, talking about Roe V. Wade decision. 

Robert Badinter reportedly a goner: https://www-lemonde-fr.translate.goog/disparitions/article/2024/02/09/robert-badinter-est-mort_6215627_3382.html?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Yep, just got the breaking news notif… Quite unexpected he was still in and out talking on TV recently… A great mind, 3rd hit for our french deathlist

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 13:33, arghton said:

Ati George Sokomanu and Tui Atua Tupua Tamasese Efi are both over ten years above the life expectancy of their countries but can walk unaided, however the latter doesn't look great. Julius Chan was hospitalised in April and doesn't look great.

Sir Julius Chan, former Papua New Guinea prime minister a few days ago:

juliuschan.png.87066b2fb8369d2a3365d3b0aafde139.png

He had another hospitalisation last year (collapse, possibly a stroke?), rumored dead atleast three times in recent years and regularly misses events due to health reasons. To my suprise he's still serving as Governor of New Ireland, whatever that is.

He's also according to Wikipedia the 15th-longest serving member of the British privy council. The list is quite interesting, tons of good pool possibilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_members_of_the_British_Privy_Council

On 02/08/2022 at 22:10, arghton said:

Nerio Nesi (1925) Businessman, politician

Nerio Nesi dead at 98.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin hospitalized again for an "emergent bladder issue"

Could be anything to be honest... It's embarrassing enough they don't want to say what it is (or they simply don't know what it is), but they had to make it public after last time...

He's 70, and at this point I fully expect him to start showing up in lists soon

4 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin hospitalized again for an "emergent bladder issue"

Official duties transferred to Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Official duties transferred to Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks

Admitted to ICU but full recovery still expected.

• Like 2