Jump to content
Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Recommended Posts

Ema Derossi-Bjelajac, President of the Presidency of the Socialist Republic of Croatia (then a constituent part of Croatia, so not a former world leader) 1985–86, dead at 94.

 

Wiki

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ema Derossi-Bjelajac, President of the Presidency of the Socialist Republic of Croatia (then a constituent part of Croatia, so not a former world leader) 1985–86, dead at 94.

 

Wiki

 

 

You mean "constituent part of Yugoslavia"'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tower1 said:

You mean "constituent part of Yugoslavia"'?


That’s the one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diana Maddock has died aged 75 .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Diana Maddock has died aged 75 .

Mad Dog Maddock? :lol:

 

Alan Beith's missus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Mad Dog Maddock? :lol:

 

Alan Beith's missus.

 

Former President of the Lib Dems. Also won a famous byelection in 1993, Christchurch, with a 35% swing against the Tories, which was one of the early signs that Majors government was DOA post Black Wednesday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2019 at 19:31, drol said:

North Africa in general has lot to offer in matter of old politicians.

 

 

*Belaid Abdessalam (1928): a PM who has fought Islamists like no one.

 

Belaid Abdessalam dead at 91.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, msc said:

 

Former President of the Lib Dems. Also won a famous byelection in 1993, Christchurch, with a 35% swing against the Tories, which was one of the early signs that Majors government was DOA post Black Wednesday.

I've rarely heard anyone describe a government like that before!!

Are you Andrew Rawnsley?:lol:^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I've rarely heard anyone describe a government like that before!!

Are you Andrew Rawnsley?:lol:^_^

 

No, though I'd accept his wages... :lol:

 

There's often debate around The Moment a government is doomed to lose the next election, but the consensus ones for the last two are the 2008 recession and the 1992 ERM crisis (Black Wednesday). Though with both, add on crisis (expenses in 2008-10, every Tory ever having a sleaze scandal in the 90s) didn't help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, msc said:

 

No, though I'd accept his wages... :lol:

 

There's often debate around The Moment a government is doomed to lose the next election, but the consensus ones for the last two are the 2008 recession and the 1992 ERM crisis (Black Wednesday). Though with both, add on crisis (expenses in 2008-10, every Tory ever having a sleaze scandal in the 90s) didn't help.

Will the handling of the coronavirus crisis by this government in your opinion be a similar dooming moment for this administration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Will the handling of the coronavirus crisis by this government in your opinion be a similar dooming moment for this administration?

 

Hard to say, really. Usually these things are related to financial collapses and we are holding up water on that one so far (in part thanks to the new Tory chancellor ripping up all their rules on austerity during the pandemic). The covid drama isn't over yet so we don't know if there's a horrific second wave round the corner, or herd immunity actually works, or a cure is found, or any other plot twist and turn to come, some of which would benefit the government, some of which wouldn't. But the general feeling is that a recession is due (we tend to get one every 10-15 years or so) and that the UK has very little protection to one right now, between our inability to save, the government mess up of Brexit and the covid/jobs factor.

 

I'm reminded a bit of 2005 tbh. Opposition just elected a guy who was in the previous Shadow cabinet but only became an MP 5 years earlier so is a bit of a blank slate. Public seem willingly to give him a decent shake but are struggling to trust the party he leads which is still quite toxic. Government unpopular but seen as good on finance and better than the main alternative.

 

Of course in 2008 the worst recession since the 1930s hit and that new opposition leader took the lead in the polls and wound up winning 100 seats and becoming Prime Minister. But don't mind if I add that I'd really prefer there not to be a major recession at all because the last one fucked up most normal folk in the UK's finances and still hasn't been fixed.

 

In short, the mood weather for the next few years is ominous. But if we could pinpoint exactly what and where and why that is so, people wouldn't walk headfirst into life changing events!

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, msc said:

 

Hard to say, really. Usually these things are related to financial collapses and we are holding up water on that one so far (in part thanks to the new Tory chancellor ripping up all their rules on austerity during the pandemic). The covid drama isn't over yet so we don't know if there's a horrific second wave round the corner, or herd immunity actually works, or a cure is found, or any other plot twist and turn to come, some of which would benefit the government, some of which wouldn't. But the general feeling is that a recession is due (we tend to get one every 10-15 years or so) and that the UK has very little protection to one right now, between our inability to save, the government mess up of Brexit and the covid/jobs factor.

  

I'm reminded a bit of 2005 tbh. Opposition just elected a guy who was in the previous Shadow cabinet but only became an MP 5 years earlier so is a bit of a blank slate. Public seem willingly to give him a decent shake but are struggling to trust the party he leads which is still quite toxic. Government unpopular but seen as good on finance and better than the main alternative.

  

Of course in 2008 the worst recession since the 1930s hit and that new opposition leader took the lead in the polls and wound up winning 100 seats and becoming Prime Minister. But don't mind if I add that I'd really prefer there not to be a major recession at all because the last one fucked up most normal folk in the UK's finances and still hasn't been fixed.

 

In short, the mood weather for the next few years is ominous. But if we could pinpoint exactly what and where and why that is so, people wouldn't walk headfirst into life changing events!

 

 

 

What kills governments isn't the recession, it's whether the public think the government are at fault for it. Regardless of whether they actually are.

 

There will be another recession but Starmer is going to have a hard time doing a Cameron and misattributing the blame for it on the incumbent government as Covid is much clearer than a bank crashing for the incumbent government to deflect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

 

What kills governments isn't the recession, it's whether the public think the government are at fault for it. Regardless of whether they actually are.

 

There will be another recession but Starmer is going to have a hard time doing a Cameron and misattributing the blame for it on the incumbent government as Covid is much clearer than a bank crashing for the incumbent government to deflect. 

 

I've been mightily impressed with Rishi Sunak during all this turbulence. Not least as he didn't even have time to prepare or plan due to Javid seemingly doing a Cameron and bailing out early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

 

I've been mightily impressed with Rishi Sunak during all this turbulence. Not least as he didn't even have time to prepare or plan due to Javid seemingly doing a Cameron and bailing out early. 

 

Wait a while. It's easy to be impressed when the exchequer is handing out money but it's inevitable they'll find ways to get most of it back. It's what happens once we've started to move out of the pandemic and back into normal times that this government will end up being judged on (including Brexit). 

 

A tory government raising taxes and throwing money at infrastructure projects will alienate some and make others think 'well if we're going to have a left wing government let's get the traditional one back' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msc said:

 

Hard to say, really. Usually these things are related to financial collapses and we are holding up water on that one so far (in part thanks to the new Tory chancellor ripping up all their rules on austerity during the pandemic). The covid drama isn't over yet so we don't know if there's a horrific second wave round the corner, or herd immunity actually works, or a cure is found, or any other plot twist and turn to come, some of which would benefit the government, some of which wouldn't. But the general feeling is that a recession is due (we tend to get one every 10-15 years or so) and that the UK has very little protection to one right now, between our inability to save, the government mess up of Brexit and the covid/jobs factor.

 

I'm reminded a bit of 2005 tbh. Opposition just elected a guy who was in the previous Shadow cabinet but only became an MP 5 years earlier so is a bit of a blank slate. Public seem willingly to give him a decent shake but are struggling to trust the party he leads which is still quite toxic. Government unpopular but seen as good on finance and better than the main alternative.

 

Of course in 2008 the worst recession since the 1930s hit and that new opposition leader took the lead in the polls and wound up winning 100 seats and becoming Prime Minister. But don't mind if I add that I'd really prefer there not to be a major recession at all because the last one fucked up most normal folk in the UK's finances and still hasn't been fixed.

 

In short, the mood weather for the next few years is ominous. But if we could pinpoint exactly what and where and why that is so, people wouldn't walk headfirst into life changing events!

 

 

Superb post.

The only point I would make is that the morning after the 2019 general election I assumed the tories were in for two terms. Now I am not assuming that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shen Jilan, China's longest serving Deputy (65 years), has died at 90. Famous because she always approved any proposal from the Communist Party, she was given the highest Chinese honour, Medal of the Republic, last year. Guess she is enjoying it in hell now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mimi Soltysik, the Socialist Party USA candidate in the 2016 American presidential election, has passed away aged 45 from liver cancer. He only got a few thousand votes. He's a fringe politician, but he's also the first of the many, many """notable""" (enough to get a Wikipedia page for his candidacy) candidates from the 2016 US Presidential election to pass away from what I can tell. https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/28/interview-mimi-soltysik-1974-2020

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tou said:

Mimi Soltysik, the Socialist Party USA candidate in the 2016 American presidential election, has passed away aged 45 from liver cancer. He only got a few thousand votes. He's a fringe politician, but he's also the first of the many, many """notable""" (enough to get a Wikipedia page for his candidacy) candidates from the 2016 US Presidential election to pass away from what I can tell. https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/28/interview-mimi-soltysik-1974-2020

You sure about that? I thought Hillary Clinton’s career died all the way back in 2016. :P 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 14:46, drol said:

Geelani is either fine and improving or very critical, you decide.

Geelani resigns from all posts, either because he is seriously ill or because of insubordination from younger cadres. You decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/03/2020 at 20:28, drol said:

Nepali PM KP Sharma Oli will receive second kidney transplantation.

KP Sharma Oli hospitalised. Yeah, check-ups, always check-ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/06/2020 at 08:49, drol said:

Shen Jilan, China's longest serving Deputy (65 years), has died at 90. Famous because she always approved any proposal from the Communist Party, she was given the highest Chinese honour, Medal of the Republic, last year. Guess she is enjoying it in hell now.

And as always, a funeral is good for checking the leadership. Zhu Rongji and Song Ping expressed their condolences, though it is not specified if they appeared.

 

Strangely the only absent name, who did not even express condolences, is Jiang Zemin. IMHO this rather suggests that he could not stand Shen Jilan rather than imminent death. But once again many think otherwise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use