Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Report on Twitter that former Taioseach Albert Reynolds is gravely ill. No news articles, but the account reporting seems to closely follow Irish goings on.

According to this article, Reynolds is 'on the mend'.

• Like 1

Guest Droosy

David Cameron looks very frail - politically

Guest Guest

David Cameron looks very frail - politically

Terminally ill I'd say...

Baby Doc hospitalised after today's court hearing. http://www.washingto...676f_story.html

"An unspecified illness"... ah yes, the ol' "ex-dictator doesn't want jail time" disease.

Lawyer Reynold Georges said Monday night that Duvalier wasn’t feeling well before the Thursday court hearing and his doctor advised him not to testify.

Georges declined to name the hospital where Duvalier is apparently receiving medical attention or specify the ailment, saying simply that “he’s sick.

Guest Guest
Sir Fergus Montgomery The former Tory MP has died aged 85.

One of Maggie Thatchers top cronies.He was her PPS when she was education secretary and leader of the opposition and played a big part in her getting elected tory leader. Let's hope his death finishes her off!

Zillur Rahman

The President of Bangla Desh has died aged 85 after a long illness.

Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew is recovering from a transient ischaemic attack, or fancy talk for a mild stroke.

Recent photo (SORRY FOR THE OBNOXIOUS SIZING) of Lee speaking at an event in Singapore. The article mentioned him as being frail and having to use sneakers to walk easily as opposed to dress shoes.

Lee-Kuan-Yew.jpg

You can use

tags to make text or images only appear when you click on the spoiler, I'd use that myself for images that are super large

Looks like he will be a popular pick next year if he can make it to 2014.

The way the Aussie press is presenting it this morning, it sounds like Boris Johnson's political career just died.

If only!

The way the Aussie press is presenting it this morning, it sounds like Boris Johnson's political career just died.

Nah, he'll bounce back, he always does...

Following my failure to identify Merlyn Rees (see Dennis Healey thread) I began thinking about Home Secretaries. Of the big four political jobs this is proabably the least glamorous but has potentially the most pit falls. There are thirteen living people who have been Home Secretary none of whom predate Merlyn. I have listed them below in chronological order.

Leon Brittan (b.1939)

Douglas Hurd (b.1930)

David Waddington (b. 1929)

Kenneth Baker (b.1934)

Kenneth Clarke (b.1940)

Michael Howard (b.1941)

Jack Straw (b.1946)

David Blunkett (b.1947)

Charles Clarke (b. 1950)

John Reid (b.1947)

Jacqui Smith (b.1962)

Alan Johnson (b.1950)

Theresa May (b 1956)

If I had been asked to guess these I think the one I would have missed would have been David Waddington.

SNP MP Brian Adam.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-22291973

Everything he did, he did it for us.

This could be a difficult time for Alex Salmond as the subsequent by-election could come to be seen as a proto-referendum ballot. Though it would have been more significant if he had been a MP rather than an MSP.

Guest hairy haggis

Wee Ecky Salmonds hey day is over.Next year he loses the referendum (we all agree right) and so then what is his point in life? if he ;loses this by election his majority in the Scots parliament is just aboot wiped oot so jings and crivens he could be doomed!

It's an SNP safe seat.

The SNP will win, possibly with an increased majority.