msc

The Deathlist Cup

Emma Betts looks like a dead cert for this month.Her family have been told to prepare for the worst.

On 01/04/2017 at 05:31, gcreptile said:

I regret a little not waiting one more day to notice that update on Van Zandfliet, but I couldn't submit yesterday. He has weeks left instead of months. And I have a feeling it's about three weeks, so within the month.

Hopefully he can last until May for my Windy City team.

Some post second round analysis.

There were 83 different picks out of 16 teams (176 team members) so a 47.2% ratio.

Out of those 83 there are 50 uniques (60.2%).

Of the 83, 10 died (12%) although no QO for Bruce. Round One 11.5% of the picks died so very similar despite feeling like a much quieter month. Perhaps it was because 5 of the deaths occurred in one match.

Of the 50 uniques, 3 died (6%) although one was Bruce. Round One 5% of the unique picks died.

At the other end of the spectrum of the 10 people selected by 5 or more teams, 2 died (20%) Rnd 1 (30%).

For round three

There are 54 different picks out of 8 teams (88 team members) so a 61.4% ratio meaning a greater spread of selections in each match.

Out of those 54 there are 35 uniques (64.8%).

This month we're down to a top 7 chosen by 3 or more teams (last month's ranking in brackets).

1. Catherine Nevin (1)

2. Gord Downie (2)

3. Errol Christie (5)

4.= Sasha Lakovic (4)

4.= Michael of Romania (3)

4.= Van Zandvliet (New Entry)

4.= John Vennari (New Entry)

Other than Magill and Dalton who died Bracknell, Morano and Rayya all dropped out of the charts although all were still picked by at least one team.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Academic and sci-fi geek Michael Levy, a pick for Spade and myself, died yesterday.

That sites gone really downhill in recent years by looks of it. Anyhow, I'd already set a precedent that I consider geek news sites like this one (Bleeding Cool was a QO in the last round - an error to be honest, but a precedent is a precedent), so with that in mind...

1.      DDT vs Rad’s Die-monds in the Sky (Rad Guy) 0-0

2.       “O” (Gcreptile) vs William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) 0-4

3.      101 Great Practical Jokes with Luciano Re Cecconi  (Spade Cooley) vs Deadsox 2-0

4.      The GUN’11 (Grim Up North) vs Heef 0-0

We're still looking for a QO for Gcreptile's man in Milton Keynes.

This time, DI starts like hell. For me, Iain Reid needs that obit. His brother wants to post funeral plans on the GoFundMe page, and I would assume that the obit in that local Glasgow paper is more likely if he's actually buried in Glasgow, not dead in some hospital in Milton Keynes. But let's see....

And as I said, our match will be a slaughter. Both players will end up in the double-digits.

Vennari needs an obit - I might be lax but even I draw the line at Sedevacantism newsletters as QO.

He should get one, and if Reid is buried in Glasgow, he ought to get one too.

While we wait for the QO, it does amuse me how Vennari's extreme fundamentalist bile site comes with a "this site may be hacked" warning if you Google it.

47 minutes ago, msc said:

Vennari needs an obit - I might be lax but even I draw the line at Sedevacantism newsletters as QO.

How about this?

1 minute ago, The Dead Cow said:

And Bingo was his name-o. Points for Death Impends, Gcreptile and Grim Up North on the death of a scary religious chap.

1.      DDT vs Rad’s Die-monds in the Sky (Rad Guy) 0-0

2.       “O” (Gcreptile) vs William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) 2-6

3.      101 Great Practical Jokes with Luciano Re Cecconi  (Spade Cooley) vs Deadsox 2-0

4.      The GUN’11 (Grim Up North) vs Heef 2-0

On 4/1/2017 at 00:07, msc said:

Grim Up North (Downie, Nevin, Christie, Vennari J, Elias, Lakovic, Hamilton-Byrne, Van-Zandvliet, Akhand L, Michael, Vervoort)
vs
Heef (Kaye T, Bracknell, Downie, Betts E, Campbell G, Lakovic, Nevin, James CLIVE, Bush Sr, Merril D, Klasnic)

So I've taken an early lead thanks to a transfer in from The Dead Cow's team.

We have just three picks that cancel out: Downie (who looks good for another month at least), Nevin and Lakovic.

So it's 8 a side.(* = Unique)

GUN 8 - Christie, Vennari :xbones:, Elias*, Hamilton-Byrne, Van Zandvliet, Akhand, Michael, Vervoort*

v

Heef 8 - Kaye T*, Bracknell, Betts E, Campbell*, James*, Bush snr*, Merril*, Klasnic* 

Updates suggest that Betsy has not long left (but only a one pointer?) and I don't know who Katy is??

Other than that I'm vulnerable to any of the famous uniques dying but that hasn't proved a successful strategy in the previous two rounds.

It looks like another fun month in The Cup.:)

Tony Kaye is a prominent horse racing trainer who is apparently terminally ill. He'll get the full 3 points if he goes this month. You are right, Ms Betts is a one pointer when she goes.

• Like 1

I'd better hope that intravenous frankincense does the job then!

I suspect Tony Kaye will last until July-August now.

Mind you, this update on his condition was dated 10th February "Hi guys. Update
Tony was admitted to hospital this morning. He has had couple bad days. A ct scan was carried out and sadly the tumor has grown which was what w...as causing him to go down hill. Doctor has stated his life expectancy is a couple of months. Tony is doing as well as one can been given this horrible news. I have just sorted all the hospital stuff required for him to be comfortable at home. His bed arrives tomorrow. Do hopefully the doctors will let him come home tomorrow. Just another few bumps in n the road."

All quite sudden for him. Very sad.

I don't hold out many hopes with any of the other selections though.

Emma Betts provides a FFBI single point to Heef and Rad Guy. This alllows Rad Guy to take a slender lead against DDT.

1.      DDT vs Rad’s Die-monds in the Sky (Rad Guy) 0-1

2.       “O” (Gcreptile) vs William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) 2-6

4.      The GUN’11 (Grim Up North) vs Heef 2-1

• Like 2

On 4.4.2017 at 22:36, gcreptile said:

This time, DI starts like hell. For me, Iain Reid needs that obit. His brother wants to post funeral plans on the GoFundMe page, and I would assume that the obit in that local Glasgow paper is more likely if he's actually buried in Glasgow, not dead in some hospital in Milton Keynes. But let's see....

And as I said, our match will be a slaughter. Both players will end up in the double-digits.

On the gofundme page, the funeral is announced for the 20th of April... I think I've never been so ghoulish...

Or, indeed, shameless?

The funerals at Linn Crem, so if he doesn't get into the Evening Times or Record that week...

Kaye has taken a turn for the worse it seems. Sent home, can no longer speak and is basically having drugs pumped into him. Still think he'll see out the month, but if he does, well, it probably shouldn't be a unique for May perhaps.

I was doing some work and missed this earlier, but not to worry, the dead stay dead. Unless they're Brian Matthew, of course.

Three points for Death Impends, a slam dunk in the NBA but is it one in the Deathlist Cup?

2.       “O” (Gcreptile) vs William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) 2-9

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

I was doing some work and missed this earlier, but not to worry, the dead stay dead. Unless they're Brian Matthew, of course.

Three points for Death Impends, a slam dunk in the NBA but is it one in the Deathlist Cup?

2.       “O” (Gcreptile) vs William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) 2-9

Not that someone who is in the third round without a hit has much right to comment, but a slam dunk in the NBA is two points.  To get three you have to hit from beyond the arc. 

That makes annoying sense actually with hindsight (Sir Creep calls certs slam dunks as in "you can't miss them"*), but so it goes!

*Although my very brief PE class career of playing the game suggests you really can miss them, quite easily.

• Like 2