msc

The Deathlist Cup

1 hour ago, msc said:

Hmm, the press I looked at said she was a jailbird fraudster with compassionate release, with no reference to her prior fame?

In a way, you're right. Women's sport in general and rugby league in general are both reasonably big things in NZ, but the combination of Women's Rugby League isn't quite so household as, say Women's Rugby Union.

As such, her post-League conviction for mortgage fraud has outshone her residual fame for being a Women's League international. Similar in some ways to any sportsman who's been convicted for a crime bigger than their level of success in sport (lower league football players convicted for rape). There's also some cultural reasons why the conviction became big news in NZ (her Pakeha crime partner got off with home detention, whilst she got sent to prison)

Anyway, I had heard of her as a League international before that, and it is (briefly) mentioned in some of the articles (e.g. the very end of this article http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11856757), and there are articles on th'internet pre-conviction that you can find, albeit relatively light on detail (e.g. http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/sport-archived2/4264435/Ferns-boost-Counties-in-nationals-attempt )

But anyway, not after rorting the tournament, so I'll leave the decision to you. I have the feeling that she'll be my only hit of the round that DI doesn't have, so perhaps it would be a good thing for Earl Sinks to QO.

Ok. Stewards inquiry held. The press I looked at on her death, last year and even for convinction in 2013 didn't refer to her sports career. However, the obit posted earlier above did reference, in one line, her sports career, which comes up in the second link Heef posted. The two news reports, coupled with social media posts from NZ sports types, confirm that Letele was known publicly locally (ie in New Zealand) before her illness and crime. I aim to be a fair and just referee in this Cup with regards to the Famous Only for Dying penalty, and so I concur, on the evidence and previous precedent, that the 2 points awarded to Heef for Vicki Letele should increase to the full complement of 3.

Corrected scores...

DDT vs Deadsox 0-2

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef 3-3

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Would this count for Earl Sinks? His county's local e-paper has C&Ped that funeral home obit onto their own obits section.

I misread that and was coming in here to say "no, coz precedent", but what do you know... it's a bit of a cheat, but under the rules, it counts!

DDT vs Deadsox 0-2

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef 6-3

I feel like that wont be the last adjudication in a tightly contested tie before the end, somehow!

• Like 1

It is a bit surprising he hasn't gotten anything less borderline yet, admittedly. I mean he seems to be the Crickets equivalent of Fergie Frederiksen but even Fergie got local press easily.

On 5/1/2017 at 09:18, Spade_Cooley said:

Fair play Deadsox, the better team won. Glad to see some of my players who didn't quite make it on the day enjoy a transfer-deadline switch to your lads though. Emetole I think is a gonner. 

On April 30th, the day before Spade posted this, it was announced that Emetole had undergone a succesful operation on the cancer.

So either Spade was fucking with us, or this is quite the ironic situation.

Use Occam's Razor to deduce which.

Roderick C. Meredith finally died a few days ago. However nothing qualifying yet, only death mentions so far have been via his church's website and Armstrongism blogs.

On 2017-5-21 at 00:48, msc said:

Use Occam's Razor to deduce which.

:clivedunn:

Gonna need that Meredith obit more than ever now that Dina Merrill's carked it.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 19:25, Heef said:

And looking at DI's line-up, I'd say I'm pretty screwed anyway, so I hope no one will mind that I've booked a five-week holiday starting about two weeks before the end of the round...

Ah, but I believe that you are safe without the obit anyways. @Death Impends

Actually, I suggested to Heef via PM that he submit a team before leaving on vacay in case he manages to defeat DI. 

Dunno if he actually did it (he said he would), or if msc allowed him to make such an early entry. We shall see.

Hm

I decided to do some more digging on the Rod Meredith front. At a quick glance the other day I disregarded the Tomorrow's World report of his death as I thought it was only a newsletter for his church, and precedent suggests newsletters don't count (as with John Vennari, who had to wait for The Remnant for a QO). However, looking into the source more, while it is associated with his church (which has a separate website of its own), it looks to have an established magazine, television, and radio presence, enough that the Twitter account for Tomorrow's World has the little "verified" tick next to its name.

Would it count? Heef and I's tie will be a thrilling legal drama one day, I just know it...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Hm

I decided to do some more digging on the Rod Meredith front. At a quick glance the other day I disregarded the Tomorrow's World report of his death as I thought it was only a newsletter for his church, and precedent suggests newsletters don't count (as with John Vennari, who had to wait for The Remnant for a QO). However, looking into the source more, while it is associated with his church (which has a separate website of its own), it looks to have an established magazine, television, and radio presence, enough that the Twitter account for Tomorrow's World has the little "verified" tick next to its name.

Would it count? Heef and I's tie will be a thrilling legal drama one day, I just know it...

Who'd be a referee!?!

Tomorrow's World appears to be a web-magazine rather than a newspaper?

I would have come to an arrangement with Heef if he had PM'd me, but he didn't and this is the first I've seen that. Incidentally, the Semifinalists can send me teams for the final now.

Dina Merrill gets her 3 points, even if it might now be irrelevant.

DDT vs Deadsox 0-2

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef 6-6

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

Who'd be a referee!?!

I'll be having a rest soon enough!

I actually have some web access where I am galavanting, so if the need arises then I'm sure I can submit a team. What is the overall match situation summary. I'm pretty glad to have stuck with Merrill as I think she was in my original XI.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Heef said:

I actually have some web access where I am galavanting, so if the need arises then I'm sure I can submit a team. What is the overall match situation summary. I'm pretty glad to have stuck with Merrill as I think she was in my original XI.

It's level, and I think you lead on age difference, off top of my head. However DI has 2 deaths awaiting obits.

5 hours ago, msc said:

Tomorrow's World appears to be a web-magazine rather than a newspaper?

Hm, fair point. I can't seem to find any precedent for magazines counting. The only non-paper QOs in past Cup matches I can spot are those for news stations that have websites but technically not papers, and geek sites. The latter obv provides no precedent here, and I'm guessing for the former, news stations are deemed reputable enough to more or less be considered a paper, in contrast to magazines?

His funeral is on the 28th so I think there's still time. Will be down to the wire for sure...

In fairness, I didn't expect there to be QO issues with how lenient they were. I might amend the rule next year.

If the singer chap would like to get an obit anywhere, it'd clear things up, somewhat.

Correction - he did get a QO, and I counted it. Bah, you can tell my brain's not co-operating today. As we were, then.

First provisional team for the final is in. Of course, person might not make it, but they are on holiday nearer the deadline, so wanted a team in just in case, to reduce Host Stress. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

Hotelier Earl Hagaman has checked out, relieving me of some of the burden re scouring the depths of the Internet for a Meredith obit (unless Heef has more hidden ammo...).

I knew the name rang a bell when I saw it appear on Recent Deaths earlier...

DDT vs Deadsox 0-2

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef 9-6

I'll not be happy if I'm beaten off the back of a Kiwi. G'wan, DI, rack up a few more hits would you?