football_fan

New Here And Just Saying Hello

Steps 1-12 went smoothly but 13 is giving me an error message.

When I type cd /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/sk

I get the following message: "Anslutningen stängdes av fjärrvärden". So some sort of ftp connection was closed?

Ah yes, that happened to me a few times while copy & pasting to write the instructions. That ftp server closes the connection after something like a minute has passed without user input. Does fjärrvärden translate to remote? ETA: from Google Translate I learned it means remote host. When I was in Sweden, some 10 years ago, I could do simple bar conversations in Swedish. I should have known. Dutch waard means publican.

When that happens, restart from step 9. You can reuse previously used commands in ftp by tapping the up/down cursor keys to save time and typing.

As a matter of fact you're past the tricky bits, you should be able to get the download without much trouble, just get on.a bit.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Added rambling about Swedish
  • Like 2

Wow, it worked! For some strange reason it's in Serbian language (?) but who cares, it worked. :D

Many thanks, Magere. So you've been to Sweden before? Did you like it here? Business or holiday?

Wow, it worked! For some strange reason it's in Serbian language (?) but who cares, it worked. :D

Oh dear, I may have been confused about language codes. Anyway, with that you can download a correct version, I suppose.

Many thanks, Magere. So you've been to Sweden before? Did you like it here? Business or holiday?

Glad to be of help.

Holiday. In five weeks I travelled through Norway and Sweden, and a day in Finland. Lots of fjords, glaciers, forests, tundra, raindeer and birds, but few parrots. Cities I enjoyed were Narvik, Stockholm, Uppsala and Göteborg. Oslo is dull.

I already knew some Danish, so Norwegian and Swedish weren't gibberish. I bought a Swedish dictionary and grammar in advance, but I never got around to learning it properly. I didn't need to, most Swedes speak English fairly well and are keen to do so. In rural Norway the dictionary proved useful.

regards,

Hein

Don't think its Serbian, typing SK in that command line may have taken you to a Slovakian language setting. SE or S or SWE would be Swedish, like Hein says have to check that one. Get it? Czech that one...

Predictor, presuming you have a workplace or a mate you could have just got a USB dick and copied the program file onto your own computer of anothet browser. Simples.

Don't think its Serbian, typing SK in that command line may have taken you to a Slovakian language setting. SE or S or SWE would be Swedish, like Hein says have to check that one. Get it? Czech that one...

I see this as a sign that I should learn a new language. Already, I've learned that the Slovakian word for "copy" is "kopìrovat`. Or should I just be praguematic and stick to Swedish?

Predictor, presuming you have a workplace or a mate you could have just got a USB dick and copied the program file onto your own computer of anothet browser. Simples.

Yes, I considered this option very closely and came to the conclusion that I did not want to ask my friends for help with a USB dick. :rolleyes:

I see this as a sign that I should learn a new language. Already, I've learned that the Slovakian word for "copy" is "kopìrovat`. Or should I just be praguematic and stick to Swedish?

Yes, I considered this option very closely and came to the conclusion that I did not want to ask my friends for help with a USB dick. :rolleyes:

I presume that is better than a 51/2" inch floppy.

Hi, newbie saying "hello". Been a lurker for a few years, thought it was time to show my face, so to speak.

Welcome aboard feel free to banter.

Member Spade_Cooley infamously stated earlier in this thread, "Hey noobs, what'll happen in your first week is you post here then someone will call you a cunt for starting a thread about something we already have a thread about or posting a death in the wrong topic. Don't take that personal, it's kinda like really ineffectual hazing".

Well, I've been a member here since the 6th of January ( 7 whole fun-filled days!) with a userpic that apparently looks to some like an American outlaw and it was suggested today that perhaps I should intro myself here - in the correct thread for doing so. I feel welcome here already as in my brief tenure I have been told with some conviction that I had posted in the wrong thread, asked if I was an "actual, you know, human being?", had it suggested that I was "possibly the forums (sic) most "robotic poster" or a human with the personality characteristics of a well used blow up doll" and then been referenced with great British sarcasm in a comment about the forum "certainly attracting some high quality posters nowdays". That was after it was suggested that I conduct a search before posting next time and misspelled a gallant defenders name in my reply to him which resulted in a prediction that I would soon be called "a massive **** now". My apologies again, Dr. Zorders, and I appreciate you not yet calling me a massive derogatory anatomical anything yet.

I'll note my first days here as normal, take no offense, make myself welcome and attempt to post significant and appropriate contributions to these forums.

Oh, I'm a Yank from the Carolinas with an interest in death and dying and a bad obsession with history/politics and pop culture. I also collect vintage photography and images and hence my userpic will likely change frequently to reflect my moods and temperament.
  • Like 3

Member Spade_Cooley infamously stated earlier in this thread, "Hey noobs, what'll happen in your first week is you post here then someone will call you a cunt for starting a thread about something we already have a thread about or posting a death in the wrong topic. Don't take that personal, it's kinda like really ineffectual hazing".
Well, I've been a member here since the 6th of January ( 7 whole fun-filled days!) with a userpic that apparently looks to some like an American outlaw and it was suggested today that perhaps I should intro myself here - in the correct thread for doing so. I feel welcome here already as in my brief tenure I have been told with some conviction that I had posted in the wrong thread, asked if I was an "actual, you know, human being?", had it suggested that I was "possibly the forums (sic) most "robotic poster" or a human with the personality characteristics of a well used blow up doll" and then been referenced with great British sarcasm in a comment about the forum "certainly attracting some high quality posters nowdays". That was after it was suggested that I conduct a search before posting next time and misspelled a gallant defenders name in my reply to him which resulted in a prediction that I would soon be called "a massive **** now". My apologies again, Dr. Zorders, and I appreciate you not yet calling me a massive derogatory anatomical anything yet.
I'll note my first days here as normal, take no offense, make myself welcome and attempt to post significant and appropriate contributions to these forums.
Oh, I'm a Yank from the Carolinas with an interest in death and dying and a bad obsession with history/politics and pop culture. I also collect vintage photography and images and hence my userpic will likely change frequently to reflect my moods and temperament.

Welcome to the monkey house. Throwing shit down the tree is a fashionable pastime, but grooming and other bonding bahaviour is occasionally observed as well. You'll fit in nicely, but you may want to keep that pith helmet at hand for a while.

regards,

Hein

hahahahahahahaha

NP seriously. However I did skim through your DDP choices to see if you had any picks that I was hoping would be "unique" for me before not doing so. I can handle a measly typo any day of the week but not that. LFN is just being fick. Lucky cos I had a mouthful at the time and I would have billed you for a new keyboard if I'd spotted bad news.

Which Cakalaki are you from anyway? Most people over here would have heard of both North and South but probably dunno what you mean by simply "The Carolinas" cos they're too busy throwing at a dartboard with GWB's face on the bullseye to put 1 and 1 together.

Welcome to the monkey house. Throwing shit down the tree is a fashionable pastime, but grooming and other bonding bahaviour is occasionally observed as well. You'll fit in nicely, but you may want to keep that pith helmet at hand for a while.

regards,

Hein

Happy to be in the house! I can throw shit as good as the next ape so I'm looking forward to the vigorous engagement! Thanks for the welcome! Do "well used blow up dolls" wear pith helmets and which is the correct thread for asking such?

regards,

Hein

Happy to be in the house! I can throw shit as good as the next ape so I'm looking forward to the vigorous engagement! Thanks for the welcome! Do "well used blow up dolls" wear pith helmets and which is the correct thread for asking such?

There is no correct thread for taking LFN's insults too seriously.

hahahahahahahaha

NP seriously. However I did skim through your DDP choices to see if you had any picks that I was hoping would be "unique" for me before not doing so. I can handle a measly typo any day of the week but not that. LFN is just being fick. Lucky cos I had a mouthful at the time and I would have billed you for a new keyboard if I'd spotted bad news.

Which Cakalaki are you from anyway? Most people over here would have heard of both North and South but probably dunno what you mean by simply "The Carolinas" cos they're too busy throwing at a dartboard with GWB's face on the bullseye to put 1 and 1 together.

It would be the northern one, North Carolina, but we have a summer home on the beach in South Carolina so I spend some time in each of the Carolinas.

Do "well used blow up dolls" wear pith helmets and which is the correct thread for asking such?

I'd try the Ask a Deathlister topic for that.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

hahahahahahahaha

It would be the northern one, North Carolina, but we have a summer home on the beach in South Carolina so I spend some time in each of the Carolinas.

So you're rich.... or redneck rich. nice for you i guess

Just thought I should update fellow members on my day after posting yesterday about my rough first few days as a member. I managed to pass a whole day here today without any of my obvious deficiencies being pointed out or any negativity coming my way. I was even told that I might fit in just fine here. I'll take that as positive if conditional approval! Now if just one of my damned selected knocking-at-death's-door nominees would knock on the pearly gates ...

Now that you are here, your whole list will slow down on their way to the exit door. Look, it's started already by you having Mr and Mrs Jimmy Carter on it.

• Like 1

Question to admins: Can I create a sockpuppet account with the name "No one" and press the like-button on all of Dr. Zorders' posts? The result would be hilarious, if you catch my drift. :D

Question to admins: Can I create a sockpuppet account with the name "No one" and press the like-button on all of Dr. Zorders' posts? The result would be hilarious, if you catch my drift. :D

A lot simpler if they just give you his IP and you go round and...... ;)

*scratches head*

It would be a lot less funny if you warn everyone first...............

I didn't think "asking permission" was really the trend in Sweden at the moment.

Hi guys, found this website earlier whilst at work. Absolutely love some of the banter on here, suits my immensely morbid sense of humour perfectly, so I thought I'd sign up.

Probably get this question a lot, but how do I go about joining a deadpool? Can I simply add a list of names to my signature, or would it be better to join a deadpool?

That was two questions, but hey.

Hi guys, found this website earlier whilst at work. Absolutely love some of the banter on here, suits my immensely morbid sense of humour perfectly, so I thought I'd sign up.

Probably get this question a lot, but how do I go about joining a deadpool? Can I simply add a list of names to my signature, or would it be better to join a deadpool?

That was two questions, but hey.

Welcome! I've only been here a few months myself, so I'm not best placed to advise on deadpools (most of the competitions on here seem to start in January and last until December), although I think there is a Rotten Dead Pool (separate site) on which someone can advise you better.

If I can give one word of advice, it's search the forums before you post a death. That way you can ensure (a) you might end up posting in the most appropriate thread, and ( b ) you won't post the same death over and over. This advice is almost universally disregarded by many here, but as long as you are first, it doesn't hurt so bad. Well, it does actually, but what's the point in arguing? All the very best.

Awesome, cheers man.

I've been on forums before, so I kinda get the crack with posting/replying etc (I'm more of a 'replier' anyway). That's not to say I'm disregarding your advice, that's appreciated.

I'll have a look on the Rotten Deadpool.

• Like 1