Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2018 Deathlist?

Robbie Coltrane has always struck me as the sort who could keel over at any moment.

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

Robbie Coltrane has always struck me as the sort who could keel over at any moment.

I agree. 

He strikes me as being a James Avery /Richard Griffiths type who drops dead from heart disease.Plus he can hardly walk due to arthritis meaning he can't exercise enough to lose enough weight for knee surgery.

15 hours ago, Toast said:

Oooo er had been googling him last night for a team; was thinking the same myself.

Hopefully my final list

Keep

Kirk Douglas

Vera Lynn

Billy Graham

Lord Carrington

Duke of Edinburgh

Denis Norden

Pierre Cardin

Stan Lee

Olivia De Haviland

Herman Wouk

Bob Dole

Leah Bracknell

Jimmy Carter

Leslie Phillips

Robert Mugabe

Javier Perez De Cuellar

Betty White

Nobby Stiles

Jill Gascoine

Bob Barker

George Bush sr

Pope Benedict

Hosni Mubarak

Desmond Tutu

Valerie Harper

New/returning

John McCain

Linda Nolan

Shane McGowan

Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg

Val Kilmer

Richard Baker

Stanley Baxter

Clive James

Tessa Jowell

Harry Belafonte

Jimmy Greaves

Barbara Bush

Stirling Moss

Roger Bannister

Murray Walker

Chris Rea

Charlotte Rae

Olivia Newton-John

Mark E Smith

Henry Kissinger

Jacques Chirac

John Hume

Sheila Mercier

Douglas Hurd

Morgan Tsvangari

11 minutes ago, ebless said:

Hopefully my final list

Keep

Kirk Douglas

Vera Lynn

Billy Graham

Lord Carrington

Duke of Edinburgh

Denis Norden

Pierre Cardin

Stan Lee

Olivia De Haviland

Herman Wouk

Bob Dole

Leah Bracknell

Jimmy Carter

Leslie Phillips

Robert Mugabe

Javier Perez De Cuellar

Betty White

Nobby Stiles

Jill Gascoine

Bob Barker

George Bush sr

Pope Benedict

Hosni Mubarak

Emperor Akihito

Valerie Harper

New/returning

John McCain

Linda Nolan

Shane McGowan

Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg

Doris Day

Richard Baker

Stanley Baxter

Clive James

Tessa Jowell

Harry Belafonte

Jimmy Greaves

Barbara Bush

Stirling Moss

Roger Bannister

Murray Walker

Chris Rea

Charlotte Rae

Olivia Newton-John

Mark E Smith

Henry Kissinger

Jacques Chirac

John Hume

Sheila Mercier

Douglas Hurd

Morgan Tsvangari

Brilliant list.If this was the DL's choice I would be happy.Only criticisms are the omission of Vervoot Queen Liz Ii and Desmond Tutu.That aside very very good list.

If I'm honest, Vervoort doesn't really fall into deathlisty territory. Part of the reason she is well known is because participated in the Olympics for the disabled, which is a part of her illness. They don't put people on for solely being likely to die, and while she's not a FFBI type, she still is just someone who became famous partly because of her illness. So no, she isn't deathlisty at all, imo of course...

Vervoot is a fascinating choice for the DL.She is on the margins but her Paralympian performances were shown on mainstream TV and we're impressive.I think paralympians are underrated.Sure they aren't as objectively good as regular athletes but by God they are good still.I can't help but think if Vervoot was an able bodied athlete this argument would not exist.Fact is she achieved a world recognised accolade over two paralympian games despite her illness not because of it.She isn't a former fundraiser like Jane Tomlinson or mascot  like Bradley Lowry but a legitimate athlete.I remember watching a couple of her races live on TV and they were pretty spectacular.It was only after she raced the euthanasia story went public.

Also she won a gold medal at London 2012 which might sway the committee.

Not to say I am highly skeptical here, but if Vervoort is on the 2018 Deathlist, I will put £5 to the charity of Sean's choice.

• Like 4

In DeathList terms Vervoot qualifies for DL as I understand it as.

#She holds no longevity records

#She is not famous solely for her likely imminent demise as she was an athlete

#She will get an obit from every English news source and will make news bulletins.Without the euthanasia component she would have got less coverage but it would have still been covered by msm .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Not to say I am highly skeptical here, but if Vervoort is on the 2018 Deathlist, I will put £5 to the charity of Sean's choice.

I will hold you to that!

• Like 1

And I mean she is disabled and a lesbian so we might win some friends at the guardian if she is on the list.Diversity and all that:p

• Like 1

I mean DL is not diverse enough. Full of able bodied old straight white men and all :P

(Typed without a straight face)

• Haha 1

Or her nom could be considered a hate crime. Seriously.

Really, don't touch this. It really would smack of total vulturism, plus it's like kicking someone hard in the head when they are down. Leave this to other pools where the picks can be less discerning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah perhaps you are right.

I think the committee would be wise to include Yoko Ono, Barbara Walters and Sheila Mercier on the list and not miss the opportunity to have a hit with them! 

• Like 3

When does the committee usually have their meeting to discuss next year's deathlist?

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Brilliant list.If this was the DL's choice I would be happy.Only criticisms are the omission of Vervoot Queen Liz Ii and Desmond Tutu.That aside very very good list.

Tutu replaces Akihito now you suggest it after reading more posts about him. The Queen may be too big to miss but with no current health issues and only 91 it's worth the risk to drop her for one year.

I thought a more 'official' thread was gonna be posted closer to the end of the year, per usual, but I guess I'll share my picks here than, (probably not unique)...

I.M Pei - Architect: Turns 101 in April, lives in an assisted-care facility.

James Watson - Molecular Biologist (Watson & Crick): Turns 90, visibly frail, and losing his mind; but still, one of the biggest names in science.

Roberta Flack - Two-time Grammy-Winning Singer (Killing Me Softly, First Time I Ever Saw Your Face): Turns 81, hospitalized earlier this year, ongoing legal and health problems, wheelchair-bound

Neil Simon - Playwright (The Odd Couple), Pulitzer Prize winner: Turns 91 next year, suffers from Alzhiemers (would be shocked if no one has mention this yet).

Loretta Lynn - Country singer (world-renown w/ multiple gold albums): Turns 86 next year, severe bout of pneumonia previously, and is still recivering from a stroke from earlier this year.

Barbara Walters - Journalist: Has reportedly become very frail, has retired completely from the public eye; might not be famous in the UK (I mean, you guys didn't even know Gord Downie).

William Goldman - Author/Screenwriter (Princess Bride, All of The Presidents Men, A Bridge Too Far, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid): was pretty frail last time he was seen in 2015; not a lot of health news since then, turns 86 next year.

Katherine Johnson - NASA Mathematician and 'Hidden Figure': Turns 100 next year, wheelchair-bound and frail... par for the course with 100-year olds typically.

Shush about Roberta Flack, I was hoping to get her on the DDP as a unique three years running!

Wait...

I've just mentioned her again, highlighting this...

:facepalm:

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Shush about Roberta Flack, I was hoping to get her on the DDP as a unique three years running!

Wait...

I've just mentioned her again, highlighting this...

:facepalm:

Would you be killing her softly? ;):P 

• Haha 1

Forgot about Val Kilmer, he now replaces Doris Day on my list.

19 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

When does the committee usually have their meeting to discuss next year's deathlist?

I think it's around now? Last year committee members popped into a few threads for a nose whilst they were meeting together to make the final decisions. 

20 hours ago, Sean said:

And I mean she is disabled and a lesbian so we might win some friends at the guardian if she is on the list.Diversity and all that:p

I thought the token gay slot moved between Pierre Cardin and James Randi?