gcreptile

The Dead of 2018

Unconfirmed reports Clarence Brandley, who was wrongly convicted in the 1981 rape and murder of Cheryl Dee Fergeson, has died at age 66.  Brandley's story was made into the 2002 TV movie 'Whitewash: The Clarence Brandley Story', where he was portrayed by Courtney B. Vance. 

On 04/03/2018 at 11:24, YoungWillz said:

BBC announce Roger Bannister's death. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/43273249

Death of first woman to run a 5 minute mile.

Diane Leather at 85.

She ran the sub 5 minute mile just 23 days after Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile for men (both May 1954) and has now died in the same year.

At the time she ran the sub 5 minute mile the distance was not run by women at the Olympics, the furthest they were allowed to race over was 200m until 1960.

Women's running has come a long way since then in terms of times and equality. 

So its Hell for Leather then?

Apt.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

At the time she ran the sub 5 minute mile the distance was not run by women at the Olympics, the furthest they were allowed to race over was 200m until 1960.

Women's running has come a long way since then in terms of times and equality. 

And 'distance'.........

On 08/09/2018 at 22:25, alt obits guy said:

Unconfirmed reports Clarence Brandley, who was wrongly convicted in the 1981 rape and murder of Cheryl Dee Fergeson, has died at age 66.  Brandley's story was made into the 2002 TV movie 'Whitewash: The Clarence Brandley Story', where he was portrayed by Courtney B. Vance. 

Now confirmed:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/clarence-brandley-dies-66/

On 06/09/2018 at 14:24, Sean said:

I am still not giving up hope of fielding Fielding. 

Now you have to.

Not sure how or why it happens, but I am seeing a few obit reboots at the top of my Google searches that will surely make the rounds on FB and elsewhere.  Check dates today.  Tony Burton, Rob Bironas are two I see immediately.  Word to the wise.

40 minutes ago, Grande Pablo said:

:clivedunn:
I've been told it doesn't apply across threads.  As you can see I don't believe that.  When you saw 'Broadway' thread had a new post, you had to know.  Here's your prize.

23 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

:clivedunn:
I've been told it doesn't apply across threads.  As you can see I don't believe that.  When you saw 'Broadway' thread had a new post, you had to know.  Here's your prize.

Stone me - it's a fun forum, not Mission Control.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Grande Pablo said:

Stone me - it's a fun forum, not Mission Control.

You REALLY don't understand my purpose here -- as delegated by the Admins.  Do you?  Get back in line, Pablo!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

You REALLY don't understand my purpose here -- as delegated by the Admins.  Do you?  Get back in line, Pablo!

Racist.

6 hours ago, Deathtreat23 said:

Nothing official yet but social media is reporting that Actor Dudley Sutton has died aged 85.

ETA: Confirmed

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7268077/dudley-sutton-dead-tinker-dill-actor-lovejoy-has-died-aged-85/

More of a killjoy than Lovejoy then … :(

On 21/11/2017 at 17:59, Life Is Beautiful said:

Another excellent rock pick: Big Jay McNeely. 

The man most responsible for the wild acrobatic instrumental showman in rock, McNeely's shows featured him walking along the bar, lying on his back, and bent over backwards while playing his tenor sax, hitting squealing high notes and guttural low notes and giving birth to the idea of rock as performance art capable of extracting extreme sentiments and reactions from the audience. This was decades before the acrobatics of Hendrix, Townshend  and Angus Young. "The Deacon's Hop" remains one of rock 'n' roll's most influential records and he continued successfully into the late 50's and is still playing and wowing audiences in his retirement years to this day. Of all of the horn players of rock’s first golden age McNeely is the last man standing, as he came out of retirement in later years playing well-received shows as he hit 90 years old with new records coming out periodically to remind one and all of his importance in rock’s rise and subsequent takeover of popular culture.

Dead. Too bad he never made the list.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Dead. Too bad he never made the list.

Sad news.

Hey, remember a few weeks ago when you were all pretending no one else knew about Kid Yamamoto, the MMA guy with cancer?

Yeah, well, dead.

Mirror obit.

54 minutes ago, msc said:

Hey, remember a few weeks ago when you were all pretending no one else knew about Kid Yamamoto, the MMA guy with cancer?

Yeah, well, dead.

Mirror obit.

I really wasn’t expecting him to get an obit, but then again, MMA is not my cup of tea...

4 hours ago, msc said:

Yeah, well, dead.

Mirror obit.

Apparently I missed even THAT discussion, as this is the first time I've ever heard his name.  I suck at this DP stuff.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Apparently I missed even THAT discussion, as this is the first time I've ever heard his name.  I suck at this DP stuff.

It's called irony, SC...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

It was a name conspicuously absent despite from the forum despite being public, which tells me folk were all hoping no one else had spotted it. You don't look for names till December, had he lived he'd likely have shown up in your looks.

Former UTSA (Univ of Texas - San Antonio) track & field coach and athletics director Jim Skaines died on Saturday, Sept. 15.

Skaines was the first head coach of the UTSA men's and women's track & field programs from 1981 to 1985. He also was the second athletics director in school history, holding the position from 1985 to 1988. After four years as an independent, he helped place the Roadrunners in their first conference, the Trans America Athletic Conference (now Atlantic Sun), in 1986.
SC

Iris Acker at 88.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/obituaries/article218605400.html

Could've gone in a few threads, a theatre stalwart, interview host on telly and was in Cocoon: the rehashed etc.