If the SNP 'win' they would be unelectable after that :)

I'm still sobbing at a £12.25 3 bottle box of red now costing £16.32.

I need a wage rise to cover the weekly increase :(

• Sad 1

Unsure @Toast about the wisdom of buying cheap cuts of meat and simmering for two hours.  I wouldn't dream of having the cooker on that long these days and I miss making my own pasta sauce which as everyone knows gets  better the more it's heated and cooled. Fuel poverty a thing.

I mind a Jamie Oliver 'cheap meal' clip and he's cooking it for six hours! :o The clueless eejit.

Fourteen £ plus in the Shire for the Merlot @charon but while I'm here let us look at the evidence. You said:

"Grating cheese is a dreadful idea because you might waste a sliver"

And you've had a bit of tinfoil you found since Christmas.

You win the austerity thread hands down.

Might as well close it tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boudicca said:

Unsure @Toast about the wisdom of buying cheap cuts of meat and simmering for two hours.  I wouldn't dream of having the cooker on that long these days.

I bought a 3kg gammon joint from Morrisons for nine quid on Thursday and cooked it overnight in the oven on the slow-cooker setting. I left it to cool on Friday before putting it in the fridge and this afternoon I'm going to slice it and freeze it.

20180602_122504.jpg

Proper cooked ham. You'll pay four or five times the price at the deli counter. ;)

• Like 4

Looks really lovely!

Nine quid is almost my weekly food budget (thank you IDS. First against the wall etc)

I'm buying 20p value dried pasta at the moment. Just as well I need to put weight 'on'.

Any other tips? (I wouldn't really close the thread) 

£14+ is 4 bottle box SotW..........

And you're a vegie.

Makes me feel sad re the 5 folk that have just died in Murica over eating lettuce.

L.O.L.

* I don't feel bad at all :)

22 hours ago, charon said:

And you're a vegie

This is completely untrue. I eat duck and chicken from the Chinese when I can afford it and made a considerable dent in an enormous honey-smoked salmon somebody gave me from their work at Christmas.

You still win the thread though and I suspect this will always be the case :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with pasta. Add a cheap tomato sauce (or grow your own tomatoes and use them, I dunno) and it's cheap, filling, unfussy and better for you than a ready meal.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, msc said:

Nothing wrong with pasta. Add a cheap tomato sauce (or grow your own tomatoes and use them, I dunno) and it's cheap, filling, unfussy and better for you than a ready meal.

not much protein in it though

Just now, runebomme said:

Or inspiration.

8 minutes ago, runebomme said:

Thats where you add in some cheese or carrots or what not. Didn't you get the stone soup story in school?

And inspiration is such a poncy middle class eating phrase, no offence. Bou says £9 budget so I replied with that in mind. Obviously if her budget was better I'd be suggesting do it yourself prawn cocktails, a overdosing friendly course of Scottish mince stew, and buying the Cat O'Falk Cookbook.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was told that cum has protein in it.

Just throwing that one in, like..

44 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I was told that cum has protein in it.

Just throwing that one in, like..

anigif_enhanced-4419-1405090826-32.gif.cae90edaed28f13e4f90280c30bf5894.gif

• Like 2

:o LFN!!! :o

I add cheese for protein. And GRATED carrots charon. Using a <gasp> 'grater'!!!

Mozzarella / Rosemary/ Balsamic vinegar when I can afford it. Make of that what you will.

A/ carrots have no place near pasta. None. Zero. Zip.

+

N/  see A/ anytime you weaken.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

:o LFN!!! :o

I add cheese for protein. And GRATED carrots charon. Using a <gasp> 'grater'

Mozzarella when I can afford it. Make of that what you will.

eggs are a cheaper source of protein two boiled eggs with a packet of noodles is a full meal for 20p

• Like 1

Agreed. I buy cheap eggs from horribly unhappy birds or get them free in Scotchland from those that won't come down from trees and make me laugh.

I'm another one wanting to buy the Cat O' Falk Cookbook should it ever get published.

• Haha 1

On 03/06/2018 at 07:24, runebomme said:

The mere inference that someone is building a pasta sauce without browning some ground beef (or what-EVVAH) is enough to make Sir Creep too weak from wretching as to get angry.

• Haha 2

**retching

It's a subject of much debate but I'm firmly in the 'brown mince first" camp too. For everything.

Sir Creep’s fast food tip for the day:

I always used to get this at lunch and it was under $2.50 U.S.  I am pretty sure you’re still looking at only $3.50-3.75.

1. Go to Wendy’s.  Now I know, but trust SirC and read on!

2. Order the sour cream and chive potato (it’s possible this tip pertains only to the Irish).

3. Order a small bowl of chili.

4. Find a clean table top (gl) park your arse and open up your spud, cut it up a bit with your plasticware.

5. Dump chili on top, you should fill up the potato boat and still have about half the chili to add later.

6. Apply a glob of sour cream to taste and dietary restrictions.

Not only is this the cheapest fast food meal you’ll create, it’s also likely the healthiest, and also likely the most filling, all FTW.

SC

(Boudicca I guess I’ll taje the hit on ‘retching’ my phone didn’t know the word.)

• Like 1

Neither did mine, I had to Google it after suspecting someone was wrong on the internet :o

Graciously saved as you'd expect from an anointed knight and a good food tip too.

Never heard of Wendys. Apparently their Scottish shops (which exist) focus less on the above and more on All Day Breakfasts and Scotch Pies! :D Tempted to try out Sir Creep's suggestion DIY style in the kitchen one day tho.

And aye, brown the mince first. Then add everything. Probably killed the £9 weekly budget at this rate though.

• Haha 1

I hope we all brown our mince in its own fat.  There is no need to put oil or fat in the pan first.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Sir Creep’s fast food tip for the day:

I always used to get this at lunch and it was under $2.50 U.S.  I am pretty sure you’re still looking at only $3.50-3.75.

1. Go to Wendy’s.  Now I know, but trust SirC and read on!

2. Order the sour cream and chive potato (it’s possible this tip pertains only to the Irish).

3. Order a small bowl of chili.

4. Find a clean table top (gl) park your arse and open up your spud, cut it up a bit with your plasticware.

5. Dump chili on top, you should fill up the potato boat and still have about half the chili to add later.

6. Apply a glob of sour cream to taste and dietary restrictions.

Not only is this the cheapest fast food meal you’ll create, it’s also likely the healthiest, and also likely the most filling, all FTW.

Great idea, but I think the air fare would affect the budgetary advantages.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Never heard of Wendys. Apparently their Scottish shops (which exist) focus less on the above and more on All Day Breakfasts and Scotch Pies! :D Tempted to try out Sir Creep's suggestion DIY style in the kitchen one day tho.

And aye, brown the mince first. Then add everything. Probably killed the £9 weekly budget at this rate though.

Wendy's exist over here?

Never knew that.

Fuck her budget, she doesn't eat mince the no righter :D

1 hour ago, msc said:

Edit as double post but basically Toastie is 100% right.

No oil needed.

• Thanks 1