Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cat O'Falk

Aerospace and Astronomy

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but I take it there's no online database which logs where these planes have actually been?   

 

We're talking about 35 or more years ago. Records should exist but they're not online and not necessarily on a private database. I reckon they'll be in a box file buried deep somewhere in the archives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

 

We're talking about 35 or more years ago. Records should exist but they're not online and not necessarily on a private database. I reckon they'll be in a box file buried deep somewhere in the archives.

 

Ah well, I thought as much.   Will give my online sleuthing a rest for a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2019 at 14:13, Cat O'Falk said:

 

 

 

Here's Kim Kardashian giving us a tour of 'Kanye West's' (untitled) private 747 but she doesn't tell us It's actually owned and operated by Las Vegas Sands Corporation.

 

 

I have been about 250 feet from that aircraft! We flew low over it and about 6 "Janet" 737s on our way for breakfast in the Grand Canyon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

I have been about 250 feet from that aircraft! We flew low over it and about 6 "Janet" 737s on our way for breakfast in the Grand Canyon.

 

Shh, don't mention Janet 737s, you never know who's listening, especially as they once belonged to Chinese airlines.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok, I didn't take several photos with a big lens!!;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: What happens when one inputs the wrong aircraft weight?

Answer: The aircraft sits up and begs to be allowed to get airborne before the runway ends.

 

 

This happened earlier this week in Moscow. A runway inspection found that five lighting units were destroyed during the takeoff, with broken glass scattered all around. After arriving in Simferopol, the Boeing 737 was submitted to an inspection that showed three tyres had been damaged and the landing gear had glass embedded.

 

https://samchui.com/2019/08/08/s7-boeing-737-almost-ran-out-of-runway-during-takeoff-at-moscow-airport/#.XU7xNONKjIU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just set this here.

 

BU-Quarter-Sovereign-1-500x461.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange things happen when an airline like Thomas Cook goes bust. It's not everyday you see a Miami Air Boeing 737 at 36,000 feet above Ipswich.  :lol:

 

 

bsk1597.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was woken 6.20 thismorning by a hyper 7 year old telling me that Saturn has 20 new moons making it the new "moon king" with 82 vs Jupiter's 79. Oh the joys.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a A transit of Mercury today when the planet Mercury passes directly between the Sun and the Earth, becoming visible against (and hence obscuring a small portion of) the solar disk. During a transit, Mercury appears as a tiny black dot moving across the disk of the Sun.

 

Mercury will begin to creep onto the sun's disk at 1235hrs GMT and it will take about 5 hour and 28 minutes to make its way across, with the transit ending at 1804hrs GMT.

 

The next transit will be on 13th November 2032.

 

Mercury.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You forgot the 'don't bloody look directly at it you numpties' warning. :facepalm:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cat O'Falk said:

There's a A transit of Mercury today when the planet Mercury passes directly between the Sun and the Earth, becoming visible against (and hence obscuring a small portion of) the solar disk. During a transit, Mercury appears as a tiny black dot moving across the disk of the Sun.

 

Mercury will begin to creep onto the sun's disk at 1235hrs GMT and it will take about 5 hour and 28 minutes to make its way across, with the transit ending at 1804hrs GMT.

 

The next transit will be on 13th November 2032.

 

Mercury.jpg

 

 

 

 

Wow Mercury is tiny/the sun is huge/or both - thanks Cat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, En Passant said:

You forgot the 'don't bloody look directly at it you numpties' warning. :facepalm:

 

To be fair, I didn't tell anyone to look at it.  :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Blade Runner the dying replicant (played by Rutger Hauer) says "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

 

So is Betelgeuse going to explode in 2020? In 2019 the giant red star Betelgeuse, which marks Orion's right shoulder, is the dimmest it’s been in almost a century. Normally, Betelgeuse is among the 10 brightest stars in the sky. However, it began dimming in October, and now it has faded so much it isn’t even in the top 20. Sudden dimming could mean that it is about to explode in a supernova. Maybe tomorrow.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2020 at 20:51, bladan said:

So is Betelgeuse going to explode in 2020? In 2019 the giant red star Betelgeuse, which marks Orion's right shoulder, is the dimmest it’s been in almost a century. Normally, Betelgeuse is among the 10 brightest stars in the sky. However, it began dimming in October, and now it has faded so much it isn’t even in the top 20. Sudden dimming could mean that it is about to explode in a supernova. Maybe tomorrow.

 

 

Yeah, I'm checking the news every single day. We will (probably) be alive to see it. A second moon in the sky.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/09/science/betelgeuse-supernova-fading.html?auth=login-email&login=email

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2020 at 19:51, bladan said:

In Blade Runner the dying replicant (played by Rutger Hauer) says "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

 

So is Betelgeuse going to explode in 2020? In 2019 the giant red star Betelgeuse, which marks Orion's right shoulder, is the dimmest it’s been in almost a century. Normally, Betelgeuse is among the 10 brightest stars in the sky. However, it began dimming in October, and now it has faded so much it isn’t even in the top 20. Sudden dimming could mean that it is about to explode in a supernova. Maybe tomorrow.

 

 

"it is about to explode in a supernova"  this would mean that it exploded long time ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 12:49, Grim Up North said:

 

Wow Mercury is tiny/the sun is huge/or both - thanks Cat.

In reality Mercury would be even smaller it is bigger as its closer to us than the sun 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

 

Yeah, I'm checking the news every single day. We will (probably) be alive to see it. A second moon in the sky.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/09/science/betelgeuse-supernova-fading.html?auth=login-email&login=email

 

My beloved comrade, that's bullshit that was invented by Logos, the incompetent magician. You can't observe reality. Quantum mechanics and John 1:1-5. Darkness didn't comprehend it but it does now. That's because his bullshit time dimension has failed. All of his stupid 1/11/2020 plans will fail tomorrow, on Saturday 11 Jan 2020. Venus moving to Aquarius tomorrow... Indeed. That's bullshit! Venus is going to be free!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

 

Yeah, I'm checking the news every single day. We will (probably) be alive to see it. A second moon in the sky.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/09/science/betelgeuse-supernova-fading.html?auth=login-email&login=email


Well, bladan might be a long shot for that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2020 at 22:57, The Quim Reaper said:


Well, bladan might be a long shot for that 

Did you know that bladan has a blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beteigeuze is still getting dimmer, by the way. The apparent magnitude is now below 1,6 (yes, I am checking the betelbot daily!):

 

 

Now, they are expecting a minimum later this month - but what if it doesn't happen? The star is currently dimmer than at anytime in the past 125 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2020 at 19:12, gcreptile said:

Beteigeuze is still getting dimmer, by the way. The apparent magnitude is now below 1,6 (yes, I am checking the betelbot daily!):

 

 

Now, they are expecting a minimum later this month - but what if it doesn't happen? The star is currently dimmer than at anytime in the past 125 years.

 

 

Betelgeuse has stopped dimming, may be getting brighter again. Nobody knows why, moodswings imo.

 

https://www.sciencealert.com/betelgeuse-has-officially-stopped-dimming

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use