* * - - - 1 votes

Milton Friedman

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Flo_*

Guest_Flo_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:46 PM

We should add his name on the 2005's list since he will be 93 then!! (he's a great economist for people who don't know)

#2 Worthing Paul

Worthing Paul

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:33 AM

I didn't realise that Mr Moneterism was still alive and kicking. Well, he gotta be a contneder then. Along with his fan club - old Maggie's not looking too good.

WP

#3 The Four Horsemen

The Four Horsemen

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:13 AM

Well you say he'll be 93, but I think you'll find that after seasonal adjustment the figures actually make him 37.......
It is surely better to be pissed off than pissed on

#4 Guest_Gaz_*

Guest_Gaz_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:55 PM

A great economist - are you for real?
An obnoxious peddler of myths to justify the excesses of the rich.

#5 Captain Oates

Captain Oates

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:54 PM

Economic Theory, like Political Theory, is an excellent thing in a controlled laboratory environment (ie nowhere that really exists for these subjects), but just add real live humans into the experiment, then any claim to Scientific Method is rendered laughable.

Milton Friedman is a very bright bloke - but a historian and theoretician. It's up to the rest of us to make the real world tick.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." A.E.

#6 Josco

Josco

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:14 PM

It's up to the rest of us to make the real world tick.

Could you carry on with out me for now, I've had enough.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves".
William Pitt, 1783

Shaw's Principle: "Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."

#7 Guest_fawnes_*

Guest_fawnes_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

[B]The worst US ambassador we ever had in France. On the top of everything, he spoke french welle enough to make his bnons crap understandable...

#8 Cerberus

Cerberus

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:44 AM

I once heard economics defined as "saying what everybody knows in language nobody can understand."

As someone who twice failed A-level economics , I rather like that.
"Once you're dead, you're made for life."

attributed to Jimi Hendrix

#9 Guest_ibby_*

Guest_ibby_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:37 PM

hi.. im very much a classical economist... altho throughout my undergrad yrs i have been taught solely keynesian economics. so id appreciat if ppl wudnt rip this dude.. his ideas r briliant.. for example he onc said he'd legalise drugs. as he doesnt mind if people wana kill themselves, they hav the right to.. PLUS the abus of drugs usually comes 'from' its illegality. com on u gota giv that sum credit?!

plus this dude is against government intervention in markets.. and i personaly dnt lik Blair (nor Bush, altho i in UK) - so he got my vote!

#10 lospalmas7

lospalmas7

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:30 PM

hi.. im very much a classical economist... altho throughout my undergrad yrs i have been taught solely keynesian economics. so id appreciat if ppl wudnt rip this dude..  his ideas r briliant.. for example he onc said he'd legalise drugs. as he doesnt mind if people wana kill themselves, they hav the right to.. PLUS the abus of drugs usually comes 'from' its illegality. com on u gota giv that sum credit?!

plus this dude is against government intervention in markets.. and i personaly dnt lik Blair (nor Bush, altho i in UK) - so he got my vote!

It's the drug taking part of his economics that you are really into isn't it?

#11 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

Ill make a risky guess an say atleast 1 of the economists will pass on by the years end.

Milton Friedmen\ John Kenneth Gabrailth

#12 sympathyforthedevil

sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

Milton Friedman has recently written an "addendum" to his online Nobel Prize biography (in, I think, May of this year). Previously, this biography only detailed his life up until the time he was awarded the prize, in 1976.

I believe that he has updated this biography because he feels he hasn't got long left and wants to leave a complete account of his life before he goes.

Just a thought, but maybe it means he'll be on his way out before the year is up. ;)

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

A great economist - are you for real?
An obnoxious peddler of myths to justify the excesses of the rich.

You obviously don't know ANYTHING about Monetarism or Economics, Friedman's theory. :referee:

Friedman is a really good economist. And his Monetarist theory is very interesting.

I wished he wouldn't die just now. He needs to upgrade his theory. :D

#14 Godot

Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

Stiglitz is my man, not Friedman, and this explains why:

http://www.alternet.org/story/12652

Also Amartya Sen. Sen and Stiglitz's work together explain the damage caused by unbridled monetarism and globalisation.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#15 Guest_Toke Deltorso_*

Guest_Toke Deltorso_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

yes :lol:

#16 theyiddo

theyiddo

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

watching Ferris Bueller always reminds me of my economics class in school....30 odd teenagers falling asleep or looking like zombies..,"anyone, anyone...voodoo economics..."!!!!

Milton Friedman...long may you suffer in hell for what we suffered with macro and micro-economics!

;)

#17 Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4133 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:18 AM

watching Ferris Bueller always reminds me of my economics class in school....30 odd teenagers falling asleep or looking like zombies..,"anyone, anyone...voodoo economics..."!!!!

Milton Friedman...long may you suffer in hell for what we suffered with macro and micro-economics!

;)

As a Management Science major (which is basically just a souped up Econ major), I have a few words for you...

... you are completely right ;)
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#18 Life Begins at 5 o'clock

Life Begins at 5 o'clock

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:00 AM

I concur...and may his punishment be regulated by a large inefficient centralized planning department.

#19 Octopus of Odstock

Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3844 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Long & excellent article about Friedman - then and now

#20 Godot

Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3860 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

Maybe the demise of Galbraith will trigger a run on economists, in which case Friedman must be next in line to the DL's benefit. If Friedman goes, the shock might be enough to kill off Maggie Thatcher, his star disciple.

Applying my Deathlist Domino Theory, Thatcher's death would allow Michael Foot to rest in peace. Foot's death would make Patrick Moore the new world's worst dressed man, hastening a sudden departure from embarrassment. Moore dying would be too much for George Melly, saddened at this loss to music. After Melly not quite sure, although he does have an excellent Bacon rating of 2 through Miriam Margolyes who looks a little bit like Claire Rayner.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users