Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Al Lewis

Guest wikipedia

err... just have a look at wikipedias al lewis page

have a nice day

For a moment there I thought Al Lewis had died.

Anyway, back a while (don't ask me to cut and past bits for reference, I can barely work this thing as it is) Godt said something about about all the Addams Family cast being dead apart from Gomez - didn't John Astin kick it a year or two back?

I'm pretty sure the guy who played Cousin Itt is still alive too.

The point being made, I think is that Al Lewis is only (only in a sense compared to his thought age), 82 not 96!!!

I thought I'd check this somewhere with backup, so I went to the 1930 census - looked for Albert Meister which is his real name

Meister was born in upstate New York, near the Canadian border, Source - and if Lewis himself says all this, I'm inclined to believe him, he said he came to Brooklyn 1924.

There IS an Albert Meister b. 1910, living in Queens, NY - but Mr Lewis says he never did & there is no-one around the 1923 mark either.

So, I went back to 1920. Same young Mr Meister, born 1910, Brooklyn NY. Obviously no 1923, as this was 3 years before his other birthdate.

Just when you think 1923 might be a wash-out... Albert Meister b.1910.. d.2002 - same guy as above.

and below:

No, he was born on 23 April 1923. This has been documented on his birth certificate and college application. These documents were shown on an episode of "A&E Biography" in 2000. I know, he claims to have been in the circus in the 1920s and in the merchant marine in the 1930s, but he wasn't really. He lied about his age to get the part of Grandpa, and he's been lying about it ever since

So, one has to hazard a guess, that despite all this misleading info, he is 83 in April, not 96. In which case, he comes rapidly down my DDP list. A one-legged man aged 83 & one aged 96 make a lot of difference in O of O's DDP world.

I'm pretty sure the guy who played Cousin Itt is still alive too.

Filix Silla will be 70 next January 11th

The point being made, I think is that Al Lewis is only (only in a sense compared to his thought age), 82 not 96!!!

I thought I'd check this somewhere with backup, so I went to the 1930 census - looked for Albert Meister which is his real name

Meister was born in upstate New York, near the Canadian border, Source - and if Lewis himself says all this, I'm inclined to believe him, he said he came to Brooklyn 1924.

There IS an Albert Meister b. 1910, living in Queens, NY - but Mr Lewis says he never did & there is no-one around the 1923 mark either.

So, I went back to 1920. Same young Mr Meister, born 1910, Brooklyn NY. Obviously no 1923, as this was 3 years before his other birthdate.

Just when you think 1923 might be a wash-out... Albert Meister b.1910.. d.2002 - same guy as above.

and below:

No, he was born on 23 April 1923. This has been documented on his birth certificate and college application. These documents were shown on an episode of "A&E Biography" in 2000. I know, he claims to have been in the circus in the 1920s and in the merchant marine in the 1930s, but he wasn't really. He lied about his age to get the part of Grandpa, and he's been lying about it ever since

So, one has to hazard a guess, that despite all this misleading info, he is 83 in April, not 96. In which case, he comes rapidly down my DDP list. A one-legged man aged 83 & one aged 96 make a lot of difference in O of O's DDP world.

Unfortunately, I only figured all this out AFTER I put him on my rotten deadpool... :o

Guest Guest

He was definately born in 1923, even wikipedia is saying it now.

Guest Guest_Mike

Though it has not been reported here yet, Grandpa Munster is indeed dead. #2 for the year has come.

Though it has not been reported here yet, Grandpa Munster is indeed dead. #2 for the year has come.

Oh my gosh

He's RIGHT

Point #2 on my Rotten Deadpool, ending a drought that began after James Doohan's death.

And so close to the anniversary of Arthur Miller's death, who was my second hit last year too...

How odd, effectively given the all clear by deathlist members - he dies 5 minutes later. :crossbone:

Edit: The link says he was 95.

How odd, effectively given the all clear by deathlist members - he dies 5 minutes later. :crossbone:

It is odd, I'm angry with myself that I couldn't see that it was Al.

Now that I remember the DEAD sign was a bit more down then number 4. :lol:

I have him in one of my dead pools but can't for the life of me remember which one

Anyhow,

Al Lewis is deathlist's 2nd success in 2006.

He is the 139th success since 1987.

The 2006 list is now in 17th place out of the 20 deathlists since 1987.

Number 13 on the list - certainly unlucky for him.

Rest in peace Grandpa Munster :crossbone:

I see you guys took my Lou Rawls joke and transferred it to Al Lewis...

... better late than never I suppose! :crossbone:

:blink: oh how sad it was when I came to earlietr and saw the news. Dear sweeet Grampa gone far too soon. It is like it was just a few years ago when he had that nice littlke restyraunt on Bleecker streeet down approaching Carmine Street..........yes the place that had been a bazzaar of something like that.. on the cornere and across on the other side was Our Lady of Pompei Church.......well the school actuallly. Grampa had a restyraunt called Grampas and he was there in a pair of flamboyant trousers and greeting customers.

First Herman, now Grampa.......sad.......very sad....... :(

When I first read the article on Al Lewis's death on cnn.com, his age was given as 95. The article now reads that Al's age was 83. Who knows, it might change in another half hour.

I see you guys took my Lou Rawls joke and transferred it to Al Lewis...

... better late than never I suppose! :blink:

Scratch that one then. I'll have to keep my big mouth shut next time.

Then again, I did get two posts out of it. :(

Anyhow,

Al Lewis is deathlist's 2nd success in 2006.

He is the 139th success since 1987.

The 2006 list is now in 17th place out of the 20 deathlists since 1987.

Number 13 on the list - certainly unlucky for him.

Perhaps we should rename you Mr.Stats. :blink: