Sean

By -Election Bingo 2019-2024

One of the Tory rags is very keen on a by-election in Ashton-Under-Lyne

_133204609_mail_page-0001.jpg.webp

‘Mark Menzies has resigned from the Conservative Party and says he won’t stand at the next election.’

On 07/01/2024 at 23:26, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye, and the distinctive looking Paul Maynard - currently pensions minister - is also in the kind of shit that prompts by-elections for misuse of taxpayer's money. Even one of his own workers is angling for him to have the whip removed. The man occupies a marginal seat, Conservative gain in 2010 for him and increasingly higher percentage of the vote each time out since that but still Labour within 10,000 votes of him, everyone else nowhere and Reform a shoo-in to stand if a by-election gets called, at this rate we may have a general election by defualt before Sunak gets the chance to call one. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/06/pm-urged-to-suspend-whip-from-pensions-minister-accused-of-misusing-taxpayer-funds

1500.jpg?width=620&dpr=1&s=none

Found guilty by IPSA.

• Like 3

I will finally tally up all the points on Saturday.

I will run another game for the nexr parliament.

Will also do a general election night game for swats that  covers swing and seats lost.With added bonuses for losses over 10000 votes for incumbents and special Portillo moment points for massive names losing seats.

• Like 5

On 13/11/2023 at 17:19, Sean said:

1)Shaun 140

2) nantonion2013:110

3=) Gravedanger :90

3 =)The Old Crem:90

3=) Bibliogryphon:90

3=)Gooseberry Crumble:90

3=) The engineer:90

8)msc 80

9)Great Uncle Bulgaria 70

10)TQR :60

11)Sir Creep: 30

Final update if the game as parliament is prorogued now.

Points as follows :

_Tony Lloyd (30) Death

_Peter Bone (20) suspended for groping amongst other things and although not convicted like with Pincher complaint upheld.

_Chris Skidmore (10)Resignation.Picked by 2 teams so not unique.

• Thanks 1

Scott Benton not picked.

Listening to the valedictory debate on Friday and Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans mentioned two names - John Howell and David Duguid who are ‘recovering’. 

Howell already announced he’s standing down but no word from Duguid yet - worth remembering should he run again and win…

34 minutes ago, Movies&Tennis said:

Listening to the valedictory debate on Friday and Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans mentioned two names - John Howell and David Duguid who are ‘recovering’. 

Howell already announced he’s standing down but no word from Duguid yet - worth remembering should he run again and win…

I doubt he will keep the seat even if he does stand.

Although the constituency is quite interesting as it's main challenger the SNP are having their own electoral issues.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I doubt he will keep the seat even if he does stand.

He is standing. He confirmed it on Twitter. 

And he will probably hold his seat. The SNP are not doing well - Scottish Tories will probably add seats not lose any. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Trying to decide on what names should qualify for Portillo Moment points on my upcoming election night game.

These are the names I have.Tjoughts welcome.

Tory:

Rishi Sunak 

Oliver Dowden

Jeremy Hunt

James Cleverley

Penny Mourdaunt

Grant Shapps

Kemi Badenoch

Suella Braverman

Iain Duncan Smith

Jacob Rees_Mogg

Liz Truss

Priti Patel

Therese Coffey

David Davis

Steve Barclay

Labour:

Keir Starmer

Angela Rayner

Rachel Reeves

David Lammy

Yvette Cooper 

Emily Thornberry

Angela Eagle

Chris Bryant

Ed Miliband

John McDonnell

Diane Abbott (If Labour allow her to stand not if she stands as an Independent like Corbyn)

Liberal Democrats:

Ed Davey

SNP

Stephen Flynn

DUP:

Gavin Robinson 

Speaker:

Lindsay Hoyle

Names I excluded and why:

Richard Holden (Current Tory chair would be big news for political fanatics but most people don't know who he is)

George Galloway (Loses elections regularly a big best but not a shock to anyone)

Jonathan Gullis (Almost certain to lose and hardly a big beast)

Alex Chalk (Almost certain to lose and is not a household name despite his role)

Lee Anderson (Would say recognisable enough name and face but does anyone think he could possibly win? )

Jeremy Corbyn (Massive name but as an independent a loss is not unexpected )

Sir Peter Bottomley (Big name and would be a big hit but wouldn't be headline grabbing I feel)

Dame Andrea Jenkyns (Not big enough name)

Steve Baker (His seats as good as gone and his profile not as high as other Brexiteers Luke IDS)

Mark Francois (Won't lose his seat almost certainly and not a big enough figure (not in terms of physicality obviously)

Open to interpretations of these judgements.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Trying to decide on what names should qualify for Portillo Moment points on my upcoming election night game.

These are the names I have.Tjoughts welcome.

Tory:

Rishi Sunak 

Oliver Dowden

Jeremy Hunt

James Cleverley

Penny Mourdaunt

Grant Shapps

Kemi Badenoch

Suella Braverman

Iain Duncan Smith

Jacob Rees_Mogg

Liz Truss

Priti Patel

Therese Coffey

David Davis

Steve Barclay

Labour:

Keir Starmer

Angela Rayner

Rachel Reeves

David Lammy

Yvette Cooper 

Emily Thornberry

Angela Eagle

Chris Bryant

Ed Miliband

John McDonnell

Diane Abbott (If Labour allow her to stand not if she stands as an Independent like Corbyn)

Liberal Democrats:

Ed Davey

SNP

Stephen Flynn

DUP:

Gavin Robinson 

Speaker:

Lindsay Hoyle

Names I excluded and why:

Richard Holden (Current Tory chair would be big news for political fanatics but most people don't know who he is)

George Galloway (Loses elections regularly a big best but not a shock to anyone)

Jonathan Gullis (Almost certain to lose and hardly a big beast)

Alex Chalk (Almost certain to lose and is not a household name despite his role)

Lee Anderson (Would say recognisable enough name and face but does anyone think he could possibly win? )

Jeremy Corbyn (Massive name but as an independent a loss is not unexpected )

Sir Peter Bottomley (Big name and would be a big hit but wouldn't be headline grabbing I feel)

Dame Andrea Jenkyns (Not big enough name)

Steve Baker (His seats as good as gone and his profile not as high as other Brexiteers Luke IDS)

Mark Francois (Won't lose his seat almost certainly and not a big enough figure (not in terms of physicality obviously)

Open to interpretations of these judgements.

Thangam Debbonaire is the most likely labour shadow Minster to lose - to the Greens. Ditto Wes Streeting is facing a pro Gaza independent challenger. Would be better names than Chris Bryant or Angela Eagle. Maybe out Angela Rayner if not just because she is high orifice currently. 

I would say Peter Bottomley losing would be a big story.- labour have never won Worthing and his is the safer for the Tories of the two by a fair margin, 

Holdern depends on where he stands. His seat is being abolished and it is still not known where he is standing. If he gets a probably safe seat and loses that it’s a big story. But if he gets a very safe seat he won’t be in danger I suspect.

Id put Corbyn and Galloway because those are big stories no matter what. 

If Andy Street or Seb Payne get Tory safe seats put them. The first is a big name and losing would be a massive story and the later would be a massive story on political Twitter.

Maybe Johnny Mercer could be a contender - has done reality TV so has a wider name value. 

Esther McVey could also be in danger and would be a big story if she lost Tatton to Labour. 
Liam Fox also not entirely safe and another big name.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Angela Rayner if not just because she is high orifice currently.

She's WHAT ??

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Thangam Debbonaire is the most likely labour shadow Minster to lose - to the Greens. Ditto Wes Streeting is facing a pro Gaza independent challenger. Would be better names than Chris Bryant or Angela Eagle. Maybe out Angela Rayner if not just because she is high orifice currently. 

I would say Peter Bottomley losing would be a big story.- labour have never won Worthing and his is the safer for the Tories of the two by a fair margin, 

Holdern depends on where he stands. His seat is being abolished and it is still not known where he is standing. If he gets a probably safe seat and loses that it’s a big story. But if he gets a very safe seat he won’t be in danger I suspect.

Id put Corbyn and Galloway because those are big stories no matter what. 

If Andy Street or Seb Payne get Tory safe seats put them. The first is a big name and losing would be a massive story and the later would be a massive story on political Twitter.

Maybe Johnny Mercer could be a contender - has done reality TV so has a wider name value. 

Esther McVey could also be in danger and would be a big story if she lost Tatton to Labour. 
Liam Fox also not entirely safe and another big name.

Yeah, not that I entered the by-election bingo, or owt but...

1 - This is a one-night poll (faster than MMMDP probably, so respect for that!)

2 - Basically, the more names, the more variety in teams and the livlier the action and thread banter

And I'd say some of those excluded in the first draft - like Corbyn - would be news for sure. In Jezza's case he's news either way and people will make political capital out of the way his performance helps us understand who voted and didn't vote for the current Labour party

7 hours ago, Toast said:

She's WHAT ??

Opps. Typing late at night.is not a good idea.

Joanna Cherry is an outside possibility. Johnny Mercer is fecked imo.

Jeremy Hunt will most likely lose his seat. Johnny Mercer also likely.

Jacob Rees-Mogg and Penny Mordaunt are unlikely according to internal polling I've been told about.

28 minutes ago, msc said:

Joanna Cherry is an outside possibility. Johnny Mercer is fecked imo.

I’m not sure it’s only an outside possibility for Joanna Cherry. She did almost lose in 2017 through I’m not sure the urban Scottish Tory vote will get swings towards it as the rural Scottish Tory vote might. It was a Labour seat in 2005 and 2010 of course as well. 

Jacob Rees-Mogg would be a Portillo moment, just due to his general twattishness and high profile, and the way he sums up what a bunch of chancers his party are.

• Like 4

Wouldn't say Bottomley...when Dennis Skinner was in a similar position in 2019 the cameras didn't even go the announcement at the count. Father of the House is an important role but only really the political nerds would know who was in that role.

Heavy chance is that Diane Abbott would be given the Labour whip back and be allowed to retire as a Labour MP so i doubt you'd get anything there - although if she does run as Labour she's next in line to be Mother of the House after Harriet Harman's retirement. If she does retire Angela Eagle becomes Mother of the House but Labour would have to have a terrible night for her to lose...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Movies&Tennis said:

Wouldn't say Bottomley...when Dennis Skinner was in a similar position in 2019 the cameras didn't even go the announcement at the count. Father of the House is an important role but only really the political nerds would know who was in that role.

Heavy chance is that Diane Abbott would be given the Labour whip back and be allowed to retire as a Labour MP so i doubt you'd get anything there - although if she does run as Labour she's next in line to be Mother of the House after Harriet Harman's retirement. If she does retire Angela Eagle becomes Mother of the House but Labour would have to have a terrible night for her to lose...

That’s was partly because Skinner didn’t turn up.  Plus the other Worthing seat is such a big target for Labour they might send cameras there.

1 hour ago, Movies&Tennis said:

Mother of the House isn’t a real title. It’s just something Harriet Harman coined for herself so she felt special.

JAbbott the Hutt still hasn’t announced her retirement. Not sure why she’s holding off.