GMsohum

Why no Indians ever in DeathList?

On 27/01/2022 at 10:13, drol said:

Legendary Indian singer Sandhya Mukherjee (wiki), who just made the headlines for refusin Padma Shri, hospitalised after fall and lung infection.

Sandhya Mukherjee "stable and improving", but suffering from a broken femur, lung infection due to COVID-19, multiple organ failure and has survived a cardiac arrest.

:scratchhead:

• Like 1

Sikh leader, 2022 Padma Shri recipient Baba Iqbal Singh Baru Sahib dead at 95:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/gurgaon/nonagenarian-baba-iqbal-singh-whose-was-conferred-padma-shri-award-passes-away-in-baru-sahib/articleshow/89206482.cms

Died three days after they announced he'll receive the award. Among the recent recipients is Shakuntala Choudhury, frail 102-year-old (or "102-year-old") social worker.

Interesting issue note on Iqbal's wiki:

"This article may have been created or edited in return for undisclosed payments"

On 27/01/2022 at 10:13, drol said:

Legendary Indian singer Sandhya Mukherjee (wiki), who just made the headlines for refusin Padma Shri, hospitalised after fall and lung infection.

Sandhya Mukherjee critical, suffering from multiple organ failure and now also heart failure and also needs surgery that can't be performed in her conditions.

Anyway she is "stable and improving" as a summary :scratchhead:

On 05/02/2022 at 11:48, drol said:

Sandhya Mukherjee critical, suffering from multiple organ failure and now also heart failure and also needs surgery that can't be performed in her conditions.

Anyway she is "stable and improving" as a summary :scratchhead:

Sandhya Mukherjee dead at 90.

• Like 2

Bappi Lahiri, "legendary" film composer and singer known for wearing gold chains, dies at 69 from COVID:

https://www.businesstoday.in/trending/entertainment/story/bappi-lahiri-passes-away-at-69-in-mumbai-hospital-322733-2022-02-16

I immediately recognized the name from my own past Cup searches. He must have been in poor health for a while. 

• Like 3

Keshub Mahindra - Indian industrialist, chairman emeritus of the multinational Mahindra group. Now 98. 

Also, formerly popular pool pick Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee recently rejected Padma Bhushan, India's third-highest civilian award. Released a statement saying "I know nothing about this award. No one has told me anything about it. If they have decided to offer Padma Bhushan to me, I refuse to accept it"

Apparently "it's difficult for him to read, write and walk frequently"

Quick list of ancient Indian politicos (born before 1938), as we have one of (immortal) Chinese politicos. @arghton, your suggestions are welcome as this will initially be very incomplete.

1)Yadlapati Venkatarao (1919): Rajya Sabha MP who has been on a wheelchair for years. Lost both his son and wife in 2021.

2)N. Sankaraiah (1921): hardline communist politician and Tamil Nadu MLA.

3)VS Achuthanandan (1923): immortal Kerala communist CM. Stroke in 2018, bad health since, critical condition in 2021, hospitalised with COVID in 2022.

4)R. Nallakannu (1925): Tamil Nadu communist. Hospitalised in 2020, and later survived COVID.

5)Shanti Bhushan (1925): ancient minister of justice who seems to be still very powerful.

6)Sukh Ram (1927): Telecom minister and fraudster who was "in an irreversible coma" in 2012. Obviously he has much improved since being released from jail. Hospitalised in 2021 for a serious urinary tract infection.

7)LK Advani (1927): deputy PM and minister of the interior. Generically frail.

8)Parkash Singh Badal (1927): iconic Punjab CM. Obese, suffering from heart issues and most recently hospitalised with COVID and then again with heart issues. But still out and about.

9)Natwar Singh (1931): former Foreign Affairs minister, still involved in politics.

10)SM Krishna (1932): powerful Foreign Affairs Minister and Karnataka CM who seems to be doing very well.

11)Manmohan Singh (1932): PM with diabetes and a lot of heart issues (open heart surgery in 2010). Survived COVID and dengue in 2021.

12)HD Deve Gowda (1933): PM who was recently hospitalised with COVID. For the second time.

13)Murli Manohar Joshi (1934): Home Affairs minister who has looked half dead for decades.

14)Pratibha Patil (1934): looks very frail in recent photos.

15)Om Prakash Chautala (1935): unsinkable crook indiscussed lord of Haryana. In great health, obviously if out of jail.

16)Shivraj Patil (1935): Minister of Home Affairs, hospitalised with COVID in 2021.

17)Yashwant Sinha (1937): Foreign Affairs minister who was hospitalised with severe back pain in December 2021.

• Like 1

A (likely non exhaustive) list of former Indian CMs who meet your age cut off @drol, as well as a few additional comments:

• SM Krishna (born 1932, will turn 90 on 1st March this year): Former CM of Karnataka + Minister of External Affairs. Was making public statements on politics as early as Jan of this year. 
  • B. C. Khanduri (born 1934): 4th CM of Uttarakhand, was making public appearances relating to politics as early as 2021
  • Manohar Joshi (born 1937): Former CM of Maharashtra and former speaker of the Lok Sabha. His nephew and fellow politician Sudhir Joshi died at age 81 a few days ago.
  • N. Bhaskara Rao (born 1936): Short-lived former CM of Andhra Pradesh, was active in state politics as of 2019.
  • B. B. Gurung (born 1929): Short lived 3rd CM of Sikkim. Can't seem to find much information on him, but a local paper was wishing him a happy birthday on Facebook as of 2020, and I can find no death notice for him. As noted below, however, my Deadpool research skills are limited at best.
  • Lal Thanhawla (DOB is questionable - either 1938 or 1942): Ex-CM and longest serving CM of Mizoram, appeared in court as early as 2019. Retired from state politics in 2021 after 5 decades in the business.
  • S. C. Jamir (DOB 1931): Served as CM and/or Governor of 5 different states, awarded Padma Bhushan in 2020. Wikipedia page is obviously propaganda, daughter died in the 1990s, mother at age 101 in 2016.
  • D. D. Lapang (DOB 1934): Ex-CM of Meghalaya
  • Shanta Kumar (DOB 1934): Ex-CM of Himachal Pradesh, was publically active commenting on politics as of 2021.

I'm also wondering if MDR Ramachandran is still alive. There's no DOB on his Wikipedia and I can't seem to find a death notice (though I will note my research skills aren't all the greatest), but he was first elected CM of Puducherry in 1980, 40+ years ago, and I suspect if he's still alive he's definitely pushing 85.

Additionally, while he doesn't make the age cutoff, Sharad Powar (born 1940) is an interesting name. Former Maharashtra CM and former chairman of the BCCI, he's still active in politics, and someone who would definitely QO, if only due to his relevance to Indian cricket. Underwent several medical procedures in 2021, including gall bladder removal, surgery for a mouth ulcer, and removal of a stone from his bile duct, all in very quick succession. He tested positive for Covid 19 in the last week of Jan 2022. 

Adding names here as they come to me:

• Mohammad Hamid Ansari (born 1937): Former VP of India, was giving interviews as of 2021
  • Natwar Singh (born 1931): Former Minister of External Affairs, was giving interviews as of 2021
  • Yashwant Sinha (born 1937): Former Minister of External Affairs + Finance, tweeting on Twitter as of Feb 16th 2022
  • Fali Sam Nariman (born 1929): Constitutional lawyer, former Additional Solicitor General of India
  • Like 2

Karan Singh, longtime Jammu and Kashmir political heavyweight (Prince Regent 1949-1952, Sadr-i-Riyasat 1952-1956, Governor of Jammu and Kashmir 1952-1956) two-time Lok Sabha member, three-time minister, ambassador to the US 1989-1990 and Padma Vibhushan recipient. Looked frail for years but still very active.

Biswabhusan Harichandan 87-year-old current Andra Pradesh governor, hospitalised with covid in november 2021 but made a full recovery.

K. Sankaranarayanan, former governor of Maharashtra, Jharkland and Nagaland. Collapsed during a speech ten years ago.

D. Y. Patil, former governor of Tripura, Bihar and additional discharge governor of West Bengal. If he wasn't so large, he would probably look a bit like Dilip Kumar.

Fathima Beevi, Tamil Nadu governor 1997-2001. Frail and soon 95.

Kamla Beniwal Gujarat Governor 2009-2014. Hospitalised in 2014, now 95.

Thuingaleng Muivah ancient Nagaland separatist leader of NSCM-IM. I called him a bloated corpse in July 2021 because that's what he looks like. Hospitalised in 2018 with uneasiness, hospitalised and was in ICU in July 2021 with fever.

On 29/01/2022 at 19:28, arghton said:

Sikh leader, 2022 Padma Shri recipient Baba Iqbal Singh Baru Sahib dead at 95:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/gurgaon/nonagenarian-baba-iqbal-singh-whose-was-conferred-padma-shri-award-passes-away-in-baru-sahib/articleshow/89206482.cms

Died three days after they announced he'll receive the award. Among the recent recipients is Shakuntala Choudhury, frail 102-year-old (or "102-year-old") social worker."

Social worker Shakuntala Choudhary/Choudhury dead at 101:

https://assam.news18.com/news/assam/guwahati-gandhian-leader-padmashree-shakuntala-choudhary-passed-away-at-102-years-age-manju-b-198715.html

• Like 1

Interestingly her wiki page was created few hours before her death and It appears to be a coincidence.

On 20/02/2022 at 18:15, drol said:

Quick list of ancient Indian politicos (born before 1938), as we have one of (immortal) Chinese politicos. @arghton, your suggestions are welcome as this will initially be very incomplete.

1)Yadlapati Venkatarao (1919): Rajya Sabha MP who has been on a wheelchair for years. Lost both his son and wife in 2021.

2)N. Sankaraiah (1921): hardline communist politician and Tamil Nadu MLA.

3)VS Achuthanandan (1923): immortal Kerala communist CM. Stroke in 2018, bad health since, critical condition in 2021, hospitalised with COVID in 2022.

4)R. Nallakannu (1925): Tamil Nadu communist. Hospitalised in 2020, and later survived COVID.

5)Shanti Bhushan (1925): ancient minister of justice who seems to be still very powerful.

6)Sukh Ram (1927): Telecom minister and fraudster who was "in an irreversible coma" in 2012. Obviously he has much improved since being released from jail. Hospitalised in 2021 for a serious urinary tract infection.

7)LK Advani (1927): deputy PM and minister of the interior. Generically frail.

8)Parkash Singh Badal (1927): iconic Punjab CM. Obese, suffering from heart issues and most recently hospitalised with COVID and then again with heart issues. But still out and about.

9)Natwar Singh (1931): former Foreign Affairs minister, still involved in politics.

10)SM Krishna (1932): powerful Foreign Affairs Minister and Karnataka CM who seems to be doing very well.

11)Manmohan Singh (1932): PM with diabetes and a lot of heart issues (open heart surgery in 2010). Survived COVID and dengue in 2021.

12)HD Deve Gowda (1933): PM who was recently hospitalised with COVID. For the second time.

13)Murli Manohar Joshi (1934): Home Affairs minister who has looked half dead for decades.

14)Pratibha Patil (1934): looks very frail in recent photos.

15)Om Prakash Chautala (1935): unsinkable crook indiscussed lord of Haryana. In great health, obviously if out of jail.

16)Shivraj Patil (1935): Minister of Home Affairs, hospitalised with COVID in 2021.

17)Yashwant Sinha (1937): Foreign Affairs minister who was hospitalised with severe back pain in December 2021.

Yadlapati Venkatarao dead at 102.

• Like 4

No Indian politicians surviving from the 1910s now, and N. Sankaraiah the only remaining centenarian politician in India.

What a change of fortune. India had a big list of centenarian political names just a couple of years back.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

No Indian politicians surviving from the 1910s now, and N. Sankaraiah the only remaining centenarian politician in India.

What a change of fortune. India had a big list of centenarian political names just a couple of years back.

And only one notable person with a known birth date surviving from the 1910s is Shyam Saran Negi. Seems to be very frail.

Saalumarada Thimmakka was probably born somewhere between 1910 and 1919, also very frail.

Fauja Singh and Pappammal are fraudsters. Singh is very thin nowadays, sounds frail and Pappammal is wheelchairbound.

From 1920-1922 there's 11? centenarians/soon-to-be-centenarians.

1920 is strong-ish with 4 centenarians, frailest of them seems to be Pravrajika Bhaktiprana. 1921 has B.B. Lal and Sankaraiah, Lal is now wheelchairbound.

Many of the 1922 ones seem very frail, too.

15 now including the fraudsters and the ones who were born in 1922 but aren't 100 yet, I wonder how many there will be in a few months...

16 minutes ago, arghton said:

Fauja Singh and Pappammal are fraudsters.

Genuine question as I don’t know and am not clued up on these supercents; I’ve seen his age claim dismissed as fraudulent on here multiple times, but how do we know? Is there anything else dodgy about his claim other than a man running at his age looking a bit sus?

10 minutes ago, TQR said:

Genuine question as I don’t know and am not clued up on these supercents; I’ve seen his age claim dismissed as fraudulent on here multiple times, but how do we know? Is there anything else dodgy about his claim other than a man running at his age looking a bit sus?

You won't find anything in the media questioning his age, but then you won't find any mention of him in the media in the last few years at all. They seem to be ignoring him now... surely they must've clocked it's a big fraud?

The claims of fraud (and that he was actually born in 1928) come from discussions on longevity-related forums. If you delve deep enough into Google it all comes up.

Also, Guinness had him listed as oldest marathon runner for a while without actually verifying his age. After pressing the family for evidence and receiving nothing in return, they removed the record. Should've never been recognised in the first place tbh.

In addition to Fraudster Singh, let's remember that Virginia McLying (wiki) is still around. She was born in 1917, though claims 1909, and danced with the Obamas when she was "106" (in reality 98), and you'd have thought the White House would've taken a glance at the birth records but hey...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, here's a list of living(or marked living on wikipedia) notable Indian people born in 1923:

Ones I'm not sure are still alive are in italic

Mohan Lall Shrimal (4 January 1923) Former Chief Justice of the Sikkim High Court.

Shantabai Kamble (1 March 1923) Dalit activist, Marathi writer, mother of Arun Krushnaji Kamble (1953-2009)

Rajni Kumar (5 March 1923) British-born Indian educationist, Padma Shri recipient

Lingam Suryanarayana (16 May 1923) Surgeon

Ranajit Guha (23 May 1923) Historian of the Indian subcontinent, influential in SSG.

Sukh Dev (17 June 1923) Academic researcher, organic chemist who contributed to the development of Guggulsterone, Padma Bhushan recipient

Rameshwar Nath "Ramesh" Mehta (7 August 1923) Playwright, director, actor

N. A. Ramaiah (26 August 1923) Physical chemist, former National Sugar Institute director

Ananda Prakash Sen (20 September 1923) Former Justice of the Supreme Court

Keshub Mahindra (9 October 1923) Mahindra Group Chairman 1963-2012

V. P. Appukutta Poduval (9 October 1923) Independence activist, Gandhian social activist

V. S. Achuthanandan (20 October 1923) Kerala CM 2006-2011.

Avtar Singh Rikhy (23 December 1923) Former Secretary-General of the 6th and 7th Lok Sabja

Probably atleast three or four of these are already dead.

• Like 1

Kumudben Joshi, Andra Pradesh governor 1985-1990 dead at 88:

https://udaipurkiran.com/telangana-guv-pays-homage-to-kumudben-joshi/

First Andra Pradesh governor to die since N. D. Tiwari died in 2018.

Also, a few more suggestions for the ancient Indian politicos list:

Maharaja Krishna Rasgotra, 97: Former foreign secretary and diplomat still active at 97.

R. M. Veerappan, 95: Dravidian leader and director who held multiple ministerial positions in the 1970s and the 1980s, worked with Ramachandran and Jayalalithaa. Looked very frail in 2018.

Mohammad Abbas Ansari, 85: Jammu and Kashmir political/separatist leader and authority on Islam, wasn't a good friend of Geelani though.

Shibu Soren, 78: Three-time Jharkland CM, JMM leader and India Coal Minister. Young, but looks ancient as hell and has a long history of medical problems including heart disease atleast two bypass surgeries and was on oxygen with covid in August 2020.

On 20/02/2022 at 20:04, CastAway said:

• B. B. Gurung (born 1929): Short lived 3rd CM of Sikkim. Can't seem to find much information on him, but a local paper was wishing him a happy birthday on Facebook as of 2020, and I can find no death notice for him. As noted below, however, my Deadpool research skills are limited at best.

https://nenow.in/north-east-news/sikkim/former-sikkim-cm-bb-gurung-passes-away.html

Former Sikkim CM B. B. Gurung dead at 92.

• Like 1

Known actor and producer Manju Singh who is known for shows like ‘Swaraj’, ‘Ek Kahani’, and ‘Show Time’, has died after suffering from a stroke. She was 73 years old. Singh was fondly called didi by her colleagues. She was known for highlighting various social and cultural issues via her produced shows like ‘Adhikar’ and ‘Samyaktva: True Insight’. 

Singh also starred in ‘Gol Maal’ directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee in 1979. She played the role of Ratna who was Ramprasad Dashrathprasad Sharma’s (Amol Palekar) sister. Singh’s elder daughter said that she breathed her last on April 14 at her residence. 
SC

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 19:15, arghton said:

Karan Singh, longtime Jammu and Kashmir political heavyweight (Prince Regent 1949-1952, Sadr-i-Riyasat 1952-1956, Governor of Jammu and Kashmir 1952-1956) two-time Lok Sabha member, three-time minister, ambassador to the US 1989-1990 and Padma Vibhushan recipient. Looked frail for years but still very active.

Biswabhusan Harichandan 87-year-old current Andra Pradesh governor, hospitalised with covid in november 2021 but made a full recovery.

K. Sankaranarayanan, former governor of Maharashtra, Jharkland and Nagaland. Collapsed during a speech ten years ago.

D. Y. Patil, former governor of Tripura, Bihar and additional discharge governor of West Bengal. If he wasn't so large, he would probably look a bit like Dilip Kumar.

Fathima Beevi, Tamil Nadu governor 1997-2001. Frail and soon 95.

Kamla Beniwal Gujarat Governor 2009-2014. Hospitalised in 2014, now 95.

Thuingaleng Muivah ancient Nagaland separatist leader of NSCM-IM. I called him a bloated corpse in July 2021 because that's what he looks like. Hospitalised in 2018 with uneasiness, hospitalised and was in ICU in July 2021 with fever.

K. Sankaranarayanan dead at 89.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, drol said:

K. Sankaranarayanan dead at 89.

Wouldn't like to try and pronounce that after a few drinks

• Haha 1

Sukh Ram looking quite rough 

Himachal Pradesh chief minister Jai Ram Thakur with veteran Congress leader Sukh Ram, 95, at the Zonal Hospital in Mandi on Saturday before he was airlifted for treatment in Delhi. (HT Photo)

But doctors and his family insist he is not in danger. The Indian way.

Chethana Ray, Indian TV star, dies at only 21 after fat reduction surgery. Metro can't resist:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/17/indian-tv-star-chethana-raj-dies-aged-21-after-fat-removal-surgery-16661625/

After surgery, there were complications with fluid in the lungs, and then cardiac arrest.

• Like 4