msc

9. Noam Chomsky

1 hour ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Claiming he’s well seems like bullshit but not dead for now.

I agree he's not what I would call "well", but I think the general consensus that he's barely clinging to life is probably a bit of an exaggeration. Not that I think he'll go on for years either or anything, but he could definitely be a coffin tease type who doesn't die for a little while yet.

Per that article earlier this month, his wife wants to take him from Sao Paulo to a beachside apartment in Rio de Janeiro where he'll continue his rehabilitation (which may have already happened given the posts that were made while I was typing this lol). That makes me think he's probably not, at minimum, strapped to a bed hooked up to machines, and is more like your typical stroke zombie in a wheelchair where there isn't anything else particularly "wrong" with them.

His current health saga reminds me a bit of Lê Đức Anh, who had a near-fatal stroke aged 97 but still lived another year and a half "rehabilitating" or however long it was (I'm sure there are some older examples who lived even longer).

• Like 6

I think this might be another Jerry Lee Lewis type situation 

• Like 1

He will become something similar to Jimmy, and cling to life for a long time.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, tracy said:

His current health saga reminds me a bit of Lê Đức Anh, who had a near-fatal stroke aged 97 but still lived another year and a half "rehabilitating" or however long it was (I'm sure there are some older examples who lived even longer).

General Tin Oo suffered a massive stroke at 90, which left him permanently on a wheelchair and unable to speak. He lived 7 more years, and survived multiple hospitalizations.

Scooby.thumb.PNG.930183f18a675a8a9357a190dcd0c0cf.PNG

• Haha 20
  • Shocked 1

Well hell, I guess I have to rescind my strike-through.  The mf'er lives!  :P

4 hours ago, drol said:

He will become something similar to Jimmy, and cling to life for a long time.

Massive respect to your effortless MMMDP win drol, but...I'm thinking Chomsky's return home marks care in his own space and no further major medical interventions to maintain him. 

Think his Drop 40 position in the DDP is a good call

• Like 1

Jason Carter warns that Noam Chomsky is "nearing the end".

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Well, he has been released from the hospital:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1840611/noam-chomsky-discharged-from-brazil-hospital

Probably according to his wife's wishes. "The treatment would continue at home". Obviously, he's never going to recover or speak again. 

What a pity, he was such a valuable voice on political issues and not at all overhyped...

I have a mate who is a huge fan of Chomsky and practically worships him. A few years ago, as my mate's birthday approached, I emailed the man himself (his email was surprisingly easy to find) and asked if he could email my mate and wish him a happy birthday on the day. Amazingly, he actually did. I can't really say I'm much a fan of Chomsky's views, but to my mate this was the most incredible honour and he was the envy of all his linguist friends (and still is).

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Massive respect to your effortless MMMDP win drol, but...I'm thinking Chomsky's return home marks care in his own space and no further major medical interventions to maintain him. 

Think his Drop 40 position in the DDP is a good call

Just since I've been here, it kind of reminds me of Shane MacGowan. He's being sent home with his wife and everyone thought that meant he was getting better. Turns out he just wanted to die at home, don't blame him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joltin Joe said:

He's being sent home and everyone thought that meant he was getting better.

I haven't been fooled by that since I was ten.  Or that the dog has gone to live on a farm.

• Like 1

Conspicuous absence of "Sad Last Days" coverage in the National Enquirer, so he is dying, then

• Like 1

i think enough time has passed now to say that at least on this occasion Noam Chomsky has cheated death

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Apostate said:

i think enough time has passed now to say that at least on this occasion Noam Chomsky has cheated death

Not sure, multiple health problems, nowt saying his recovery is to the point he's coherent etc.

Thinking he's stable to the point he's managed at home, medicated on a sizeable scale to maintain some stablility and vulnerable to a whole host of stuff that could ambush him and deliver points. 

Was recently bantering with someone closely involved in dead pooling about whether Noam or Khaleda Zia (both long-term dead pool teases) will cash in first. I'm thinking him. Within weeks at the most

• Like 1

Visited by Lula.

No picture of Chomsky, but Lula visited other four influential elders: Fernando Henrique Cardoso, The Immortal José Sarney, Mino Carta and Raduan Nassar. They all look good but Nassar is apparently not able to stand up.

• Like 1