faustus

Pink Floyd

Notable that the briefly reunited Floyd WILL NOT play Shine On You Crazy Diamond at Live 8

Money

Comfortably Numb

Wish You Were Here

Are the rumoured choices.

Notable that the briefly reunited Floyd WILL NOT play Shine On You Crazy Diamond at Live 8

Money

Comfortably Numb

Wish You Were Here

Are the rumoured choices.

'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' always reminds me of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989. I used to go to see my football team in those days and stood on the awful terracing that made up Scotlands football stadiums (when it was still only about £3-£5 to get in) and can remember getting caught up in the crowd at the Scottish Cup final in 1988 when my team equalised, we were moved up by about 15 steps by the crowd, as I am only 5 feet tall it was pretty scary but there was enough room for the crowd to move like this and not get crushed as there were no cages at the front, unlike Hillsborough, so when the disaster happened 10 1/2 months later it really affected me and things relating to it stuck in my mind. If I remember correctly one young Liverpool supporter's coffin was carried out of his house, which had all it's windows open so that the song could be heard, to 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' playing on the house stereo and cranked up to full blast. Whenever I hear it I think of him and his family and cry.

RIP

On another note the Pink Floyd songs I'd like to hear are:

Mother

The Final Cut

Gunners Dream

Comfortably Numb

Whenever I hear it I think of him and his family and cry.

RIP

Sad story.

On another note the Pink Floyd songs I'd like to hear are:

Mother

The Final Cut

Gunners Dream

Comfortably Numb

Wish You Were Here would be nice.

regards,

Hein

Wish You Were Here would be nice.

Looks like they are playing that, according to a newspaper the setlist is

Money

Comfortably Numb

Wish You Were Here

Looking forward to seeing them and also The Who, they are playing Baba O'Reilly and Won't Get Fooled Again

I loved seeing the band 'together' with Roger. The roar of the crowd, the old songs sounding how they were meant to, the ole magic weaving it's web once more. The look on Roger's face said it all, if only the others looked like they gave a sh*t.

Great 20 minutes of entertainment though, absolutely brilliant.

Guest lalllalaa

yikes...

These extremely attractive men had extremely attractive personalities and were amazingly talented.

It just kind of makes me cringe to read that "SYd Wass soo uNbelieVably Hot in His YoUnger years."

Yes, yes he was.

He was also drugged up, losing sanity, unable to control himself, emotionally incapacitated, agreed to leave the band because he was unable to perform duties...

He since worked on solo albums The Madcap Laughs, Opel, The Radio One Sessions, Barrett, and some best ofs...

Years after he quit the band Syd showed up at the studio looking nothing like his former self. Roger didn't even recognize him. He was chubby, bald, and completely zombie-like: showing the drugs effects physically as well as emotionally.

Lately, it is rumored that he is dead. Naww. His limelight hasn't shone for many years because he likes it that way. He couldn't handle that kind of attention anymore, he's just an introverted hermit who prefers to live away from civilization.

He is schizophrenic....also rumored that it is the effect of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide. Not necessarily although it's probable. An extended use of such a drug will warp your brain so badly that you're no longer the same person, obviously, however since no person's brain is the same the effects would be different: example: with Syd Barrett who had the tendancy for emotional instability, and Timothy Leary who used the drug for 30 years with the result of loss of intelligence rather than loss of sanity.

Guest the gnome

Syd Barret went crazy after fame and too much acid(L.S.D.) sent him to the dark side of the moon, there's a few solo albums and there's also a biography- "Lost in the Woods" which charts floyds early days as the houseband at the legendry U.F.O. underground rave haven (the gigs went on for days)

Syd now lives off all the floyd royalties and reportedly paints white circles onto white squares(i know what this means) arts equivilant to musics white noise...................eg: silence is impossible to create

syd also called himself a non hippy there's a picture from 1966 and he has the same hairdo as sid vicious some 10 years before him (sid vicious was the anti-syd)

the gnome

Guest Syd

Hi there i know that Syd n his sister now live in France oficially and have not lived in Cambridge since live 8's floyd reunion.

Not so sure about that, Syd.

Incidentally, Floyd are - apparantly - reforming for a world tour where they'll play the entire DSOTM. Bet the rest of the set includes some Syd songs.

Also worth checking out the forthcoming album from Pure Reason Revolution, the latest outfit to take late sixties Syd Floyd as their blueprint.

Not so sure about that, Syd.

Incidentally, Floyd are - apparantly - reforming for a world tour where they'll play the entire DSOTM. Bet the rest of the set includes some Syd songs.

Also worth checking out the forthcoming album from Pure Reason Revolution, the latest outfit to take late sixties Syd Floyd as their blueprint.

You wouldn't, by any chance, be connected to this band, would you?

I will have to check the unwritten rules, but I am sure shameless plugs are not allowed :D

But whilst we are at it, another decent band Chineseburn :D

Hi there i know that Syd n his sister now live in France oficially and have not lived in Cambridge since live 8's floyd reunion.

That sounds innacurate. What is your source?

And by the way Faustus-how is Syd Barret the [/u] drug induced founder member of Pink Flloyd. Was his mother having fertility treatment or something?

I would have thought every registered poster on here is connected with Pure Reason Revolution.

I have no business links with them, simply making the point that Syd's influence lives on strong. Be there or be square, or summat.

Guest Guest_anubis the jackal
But whilst we are at it, another decent band Chineseburn :angry:

Ugly bunch of buggers, them..

I would have thought every registered poster on here is connected with Pure Reason Revolution.

I have no business links with them, simply making the point that Syd's influence lives on strong. Be there or be square, or summat.

I don't understand that post at all .What are you talking about?

Still say that that we don't know if Syd was drug induced.

Point 1: I'm saying we're all such intellectual giants on this forum that we could bring about a revolution of pure reason.

Point 2: The band - named Pure Reason Revolution - are nowt to do with me. They are relevant to this forum because their debt to Syd era Floyd is immense and obvious. Getting on board their bandwagon now is advisable since they'll obviously be massive and you can gain respect from your friends and family by saying you rated them before everyone else caught on.

I don't understand that post at all .What are you talking about?

Still say that that we don't know if Syd was drug induced.

Oh their your BAND.

Millwall they are NOT my band or owt to do with me. They're from Cambridge, I'm from West Cumbria. Many miles and - culturally speaking - many light years apart.

Millwall they are NOT my band or owt to do with me. They're from Cambridge, I'm from West Cumbria. Many miles and - culturally speaking - many light years apart.

Well who are they then?

I'm going to see my favourate Mongolian Throat Singing Goth Band, Yat-Kha

on Sunday night, they do some bloody weird early Pink Floyd covers.

Now there's a band.

Yat-Kha

Now there's a band.

Yat-Kha

Somebody's been talking like a pirate too much.

Did like their cover of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' though.

Millwall said: Well who are they then?

Maryportfuncity said: MILLWALL! They're what I said they were, a band influenced by Syd era Floyd. The gap in yer grasp of this is - I presume - the fact you've never heard of them.

Look 'em up on Amazon and you'll see an impending album next month. They've been 'discovered' by Alan McGee a man who previously ran the terminally hip Creation label, home to Oasis, Primal Scream and Teenage Fanclub.

They're also in session on Mark Radcliffe's Radio Two show on September 27th.

That's like..........tonight!!!

Just to drag this back to Syd Barret. He has apparently gone blind.