TQR

Punt Pool

One of mine had to go to the fame test fortunately he passed otherwise a rant of Sir Creep proportions may have been unleashed upon you.*

*Probably riding battle flamingos

• Like 1

Sent my team in earlier today - passed with flying colours, which was nice. Also means none of them will likely die in the next 5 years but you can't win 'em all! :D

Out of interest, how long are people anticipating this will run? Since we're going with more run of the mill names, not necessarily the sickest of the sick, are we anticipating a swift conclusion? Longer the better for me in some cases... :unsure:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Sent my team in earlier today - passed with flying colours, which was nice. Also means none of them will likely die in the next 5 years but you can't win 'em all! :D

Out of interest, how long are people anticipating this will run? Since we're going with more run of the mill names, not necessarily the sickest of the sick, are we anticipating a swift conclusion? Longer the better for me in some cases... :unsure:

I must be honest, I’ve not a clue how long this will run for! AFAIK this kind of anti-skill based DP is kind of unproven here, but I’m guessing it won’t be short...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Oh fear not, you're hardly alone. I looked at this and thought the only thing likely to run longer is the 50/50 one is it called? Where everyone had to be born in 1950 or later.

Further,  as I'm lazier than a dog in front of the fire there was no attempt to skim the sickness rules as closely as possible so as far as I know I have 5 famous folk in the rudest of health, they're not even all 1931 vintage.

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

kind of anti-skill based DP

That's my moth to your street lamp matey. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I know it's become part of the DL forum shorthand dictionary, but it never fails to make me laugh when I see people use the terms "skills" and "research" to mean "google dying celebs once a month". :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, msc said:

I know it's become part of the DL forum shorthand dictionary, but it never fails to make me laugh when I see people use the terms "skills" and "research" to mean "google dying celebs once a month". :D

A controversial definition, as it turns out :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's going to be really interesting to see the directions people have gone in. I tried to go for a couple of decent bankers who still qualified within the rules, then a couple of older individuals whose death wouldn't be entirely unexpected but don't have any real health problems to back that up then my final person is a flyer which came from trying to think of someone who's death would be both completely surprising but then not at all surprising at the same time. That one's probably going to be the make-or-break, but, you know, if you give me the better part of a decade then I might fancy my chances... :lol:

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

if you give me the better part of a decade then I might fancy my chances... 

When you're over 50 as I am it's the kind of game you hesitate to enter because the chance of 5 random punts all dying is probably not that dissimilar to my own odds of dying!

• Haha 1

It slightly reminds me of a DDP theme team I had a few years back, called "Long Shot Kick De Bucket".  (People who probably won't die, but might)

Only two of the contenders have since died:  George Michael and Rodney Bewes.

My five range from ages mid-70s to mid-80s, with an average age of 79, and will probably all still outlive me. The two subs I submitted probably have a better chance of dying early than the first 5, to be honest.

Either that, or one of the 5 will die before the game starts and the sub will carry on forever.

• Haha 1

There’s been various angles to this so far from the 20-ish entries I’ve had. Some go for the oldies, some for fairly quiet people, some for not necessarily old but visibly quite unhealthy celebs...A couple of the entries have basically been wish lists, which pleased me enormously :D

But yes, very interesting to see. And only one triplicate name so far!

1 hour ago, Toast said:

It slightly reminds me of a DDP theme team I had a few years back, called "Long Shot Kick De Bucket".  (People who probably won't die, but might)

Only two of the contenders have since died:  George Michael and Rodney Bewes.

Care to share any of the other names you had on there? Just trying to gauge how improbable your list was. :lol: (The two who died seemed reasonable enough picks)

39 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

A couple of the entries have basically been wish lists, which pleased me enormously :D

But yes, very interesting to see. And only one triplicate name so far!

Nigel Farage was very close to making my list for that very reason, not least after I saw him speaking on Gogglebox on Friday (I try to avoid him where possible) and he was very croaky - probably just a cold (or more...? :rolleyes:) but he drinks, smokes, has survived testicular cancer, a light aircraft crash and milkshake-inflicted injuries. But I decided I wasn't prepared to suffer defeat on account of him inevitably living to be 105.

Surprised none of my names tipped anybody onto the triplicate list either - there were a couple I thought would be very popular in the vein of Gorby.

• Like 1

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

...and milkshake-inflicted injuries.

:lol::lol:

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Care to share any of the other names you had on there? Just trying to gauge how improbable your list was. :lol: (The two who died seemed reasonable enough picks)

Certainly.  Bear in mind this was 5 years ago. 

Robbie Coltrane

Michael Baggott (antiques expert)

Jet Black

Nigel Glockler (Saxon drummer)

Stephen Luscombe (Blancmange)

Paul Gascoigne

Diego Maradona

Pete Doherty

Lindsey Lohan 

Macaulay Culkin 

Tony Blair
Oscar Pistorius

Barry Steenkamp 

Morrissey
Cliff Richard
Phil Spector
Lil' Wayne

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Certainly.  Bear in mind this was 5 years ago. 

Robbie Coltrane

Michael Baggott (antiques expert)

Jet Black

Nigel Glockler (Saxon drummer)

Stephen Luscombe (Blancmange)

Paul Gascoigne

Diego Maradona

Pete Doherty

Lindsey Lohan 

Macaulay Culkin 

Tony Blair
Oscar Pistorius

Barry Steenkamp 

Morrissey
Cliff Richard
Phil Spector
Lil' Wayne

That list contains one of my punts. :D

(some of them are bigger punts than others)

Gorbachev - 89, was on last year's DL and probably on next year's. Is he really a 'punt'?

On 07/11/2020 at 10:22, The Quim Reaper said:

Disallowed Picks

Below are picks I’ve disallowed for breaching the rules:

Bill Russell (H)

Jenny Craig (F)

Proving your a dumbass.

Fuck you and your DP.  Seriously.  You should be ashamed of your overall youthful ignorance you impute to people twice your age.  You’ve proven one of the dumbest members of this site.  Congrats.

As for Russell, feel free to post a link that disqualifies him pursuant to your rules for all to see.  He was hospitalised for DEHYDRATION in May 2018.  That’s it.  Post your proof cunto in the space provided below:

______________.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

That list contains one of my punts. :D

(some of them are bigger punts than others)

Some of them have earned promotion since 2015 :)

Others are just perennial loose cannons ;)

15 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Proving your a dumbass.

Fuck you and your DP.  Seriously.  You should be ashamed of your overall youthful ignorance you impute to people twice your age.  You’ve proven one of the dumbest members of this site.  Congrats.

As for Russell, feel free to post a link that disqualifies him pursuant to your rules for all to see.  He was hospitalised for DEHYDRATION in May 2018.  That’s it.  Post your proof cunto in the space provided below:

______________.

Who's Bill Russell?  Is he the Doctor Who guy?

Expect Mr. Toast to chime in.  Blithering moron as usual.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Expect Mr. Toast to chime in.  Blithering moron as usual.  

I'm a girl,  you dundering dimwit.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I'm a girl,  you dundering dimwit.

By genitalia only.  The next time you respect yourself as one and stand up for yourself as a woman will be the first time.  Have we hijacked this enough,  Russell is arguably the best basketball player ever.  

Just now, Sir Creep said:

By genitalia only.  

Thankfully you'll never have the opportunity to verify that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

Who's Bill Russell?  Is he the Doctor Who guy?

Seems not, I looked him up on wiki and it's definitely a pic of that bloke out of The Shawshank Redemption.and Se7en.

Bill Russell or Morgan Freeman.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4