Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Marian Fuks no more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_Fuks_(historian)

No sign of a QO as yet. Occupational hazard of a pick chosen because their (wilfully mis-pronounced) surname appealed to the 12 year old boy inside me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Marian Fuks no more

No sign of a QO as yet. Occupational hazard of a pick chosen because their (wilfully mis-pronounced) surname appealed to the 12 year old boy inside me.

So far, I have avoided temptation of picking former German football manager Otto Pfister on the same grounds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Marian Fuks no more

We call this the Spanky Manikan Law.

• Like 2

Berniece Baker Miracle is still missing from the List of the Lost.

• Like 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Correct. So she belongs on the List of the Lost, where Joyce Reynolds is (she died in 2019).

Apologies Ulitzer - I assumed (incorrectly) that the LOTL was just for people who died this year - my mistake.

Perhaps it is because she was replaced before teams were uploaded and therefore is not on any teams this year. I don't see her on the A-Z list of celebrities, but I could have missed her. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Apologies Ulitzer - I assumed (incorrectly) that the LOTL was just for people who died this year - my mistake.

Perhaps it is because she was replaced before teams were uploaded and therefore is not on any teams this year. I don't see her on the A-Z list of celebrities, but I could have missed her. 

Maybe it is my mistake. I can't see her in the A-Z list. Weird. Could have sworn she was picked!

• Like 1

She was picked by a team this year, but because her 2014 death was uncovered by mid-January, it was early enough for us to institute the sub. Whereas it's far too late in the day to do the same for Joyce Reynolds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could be wrong, but I believe Pierre Soulages was the last person born in the decade of the 1910s who was picked in any of the DDPs in the Noughties (2000–2009) to die.

Not sure if there's an easy way to check?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Pierre Soulages was the last person born in the decade of the 1910s who was picked in any of the DDPs in the Noughties (2000–2009) to die.

Not sure if there's an easy way to check?

When did Joyce Burden die?

Otherwise, yes, I think the last one before Soulages was Lawrence Ferlinghetti?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, msc said:

Otherwise, yes, I think the last one before Soulages was Lawrence Ferlinghetti?

Marsha Hunt and Nehemiah Persoff died after him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Died in Wiltshire in 2013 according to the GRO, so lived to ~95.

The other sister died in Wiltshire in 2018, so was ~93.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Marsha Hunt and Nehemiah Persoff died after him.

Both debuted in 2011. They had classic "TMIB has never heard of them" descriptions back then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/08/2022 at 21:42, Spade_Cooley said:

Alan Melinek and Tammy Slaton could all die, and that'd put them top by dint of having more hits than me. However, they don't have Don West, and I've got other coverage in the likes of Pele, Bill Steel and Julie Reichert...

Alan Melinek is DEAD.

I just heard this on Last Word as one of their "in brief" names. The website references mentioning him but not that he's dead. Just that he appeared on a show about dead celebs. Glad I'm not a co-host anymore!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Alan Melinek is DEAD.

I just heard this on Last Word as one of their "in brief" names. The website references mentioning him but not that he's dead. Just that he appeared on a show about dead celebs. Glad I'm not a co-host anymore!

Indeed, already dead for over a week:

https://slippedisc.com/2022/10/weve-lost-piano-grandad/

Very surprisingly, he might be a LOTler...

• Like 1

Think my only other Joker to die on any of my teams was Peter Skellern.

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis.

• Like 2

One of the more obscure QOs:

Activist Ela Bhatt gets a uk.news.yahoo obit via Reuters via New York Times:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/now/press-digest-york-times-business-053751300.html

(Maybe reuters itself would offer something, and I still think that she'll eventually get something else)

• Thanks 1

Has the UK given up on golf?  Still no sign of QOs for either the multiple-time member of team Great Britain or for the former major champion that just passed.

I just added your 2nd recent golfer fatality to the scoreboard. I had to find a 3rd yahoo article after two previous ones didnt allow for the uk.news.yahoo URL. So yeah, Dow Fürstenberg (?) is in, just barely, but he's in. Peter Butler though is likely lost.

Edit: Lol, I called him Fürstenberg, but his name is Finsterwald. There are two towns surrounding Berlin called Finsterwalde and Fürstenberg. Guess I chose the wrong one.

Ah, also, while I update the DDP scoreboard via database, the Theme Team standings need to be updated manually on the website by Death Impends. She usually does it once every month or so.

• Like 1