Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Despite BBC, ITV and iNews covering his diagnosis, hope is fading for an Alan Melinek QO. He also appeared on Channel 4 & 5 news bulletins :banghead:

Second LOTL for my main team. 

9 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Despite BBC, ITV and iNews covering his diagnosis, hope is fading for an Alan Melinek QO. He also appeared on Channel 4 & 5 news bulletins :banghead:

Second LOTL for my main team. 

He was on Last Word the other week but the BBC didn't mention him on the Last Word website. Which was a bit of a troll move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

He was on Last Word the other week but the BBC didn't mention him on the Last Word website. Which was a bit of a troll move.

If he's name-checked on the broadcast programme doesn't that count? Surely, it's about the equivalent of the annual sporting deaths points fest with Sports Personality of the Year goes out and the BBC site throws up a list of sports people who died in the calendar year. I waited about 11 months but got Tom Belso points to take the HPDP on a last sprint in 2020 on that basis.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

If he's name-checked on the broadcast programme doesn't that count? Surely, it's about the equivalent of the annual sporting deaths points fest with Sports Personality of the Year goes out and the BBC site throws up a list of sports people who died in the calendar year. I waited about 11 months but got Tom Belso points to take the HPDP on a last sprint in 2020 on that basis.

You'll have to ask @gcreptileand @death impends . When I suggested last word the website covered everyone, the in brief section is new this year!

• Like 1

Well, the rules say that it has to be in "written English".

He might still get something at the year-end round-up.

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Well, the rules say that it has to be in "written English".

He might still get something at the year-end round-up.

Hmm, is there not some BBC app that brings up radio programmes with (written English) subtitles for the deaf? 

I mean, just askin', like - as a dead pool boss myself I know however tight the rules some annoying curve ball comes along and tests some part of them to destruction. 

12 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm, is there not some BBC app that brings up radio programmes with (written English) subtitles for the deaf? 

I mean, just askin', like - as a dead pool boss myself I know however tight the rules some annoying curve ball comes along and tests some part of them to destruction. 

Subtitles, that's creative, I like it! 

The rules also require certain url-s and such, though. Still, I wonder if there is still a loophole somewhere.

Just now, gcreptile said:

Subtitles, that's creative, I like it! 

The rules also require certain url-s and such, though. Still, I wonder if there is still a loophole somewhere.

Yeah, I feel your dilemma here - the Deathrace equivalent is probably more along the lines of some guy staggering home drunk in the snow, stopping for a slash and the whether in the subsequent weaving of green lines in the snow we can make out a q/o for the nonentity in the next street who died that morning. High standards mind, I'd want photographic proof of that pissing event, not simply a verbal confirmation it was seen.

On 19/08/2022 at 15:51, YoungWillz said:
On 01/01/2022 at 10:44, msc said:

Nice. Already thinking I should have payed John Ashton more attention tbh!

That Comedy team seems held together by sticky back plaster.

Also hah, entirely different Sex Pistol from the one I was considering!

Quarter of them gone, before the bad weather. :(

Probably going to be the best finish for my Comedy team ever, Leslie Phillips giving me a sixth hit.

Still nowt on my TOTP team - might be the first year I don't get a hit there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Probably going to be the best finish for my Comedy team ever, Leslie Phillips giving me a sixth hit.

Still nowt on my TOTP team - might be the first year I don't get a hit there.

Gut feeling it wont be the case for 1987  if you're carrying on the theme team!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Gut feeling it wont be the case for 1987  if you're carrying on the theme team!

There's a ton of potentials for 1987 - the obvious one is John Farnham, but I have about ten locks already for that one. Of course, never underestimate my life saving ability by picking them for a team. :lol:

• Like 1

How does it feel knowing that if you make it another six years you'll be able to start putting Britpop musicians on your theme team?

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

How does it feel knowing that if you make it another six years you'll be able to start putting Britpop musicians on your theme team?

Well, I haven't decided whether to go into the 90s, or just go back to the start of the 80s.

Assuming I'm spared the Reaper's blade, of course.

As a sidebar, does the current run of TOTP repeats prove that 1993 was the worst-ever year for chart music?

• Like 1

Very nice, yes, all "Alternative Nobel Prize" winners do obit.

• Like 1

So we are now 39 hits of matching last years DDP  total and obviously 40 hits of surpassing/beating it.

Will we manage it?

I wonder what the pool runners  in particular reckon @Death Impends @gcreptile  ?

i do hope somevmore crumble uniques can push the total to success-  George Carey, Ronnie Knight,  Christina Crawford, Rosie Gaines, Noeline Donaher, Donald Wetzel are you going to ride to the rescue??!

• Like 1

236 hits in the game.

Tom Owen is no. 237. Father Smurf could be no. 238.

We still have no Al-Qaeda confirmation of al-Zawahiri's death, do we?

It would have to be spectacular Decembre to beat the record. And November needs to deliver some more. Possible, but maybe only a probability of, say, 30%?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

236 hits in the game.

Tom Owen is no. 237. Father Smurf could be no. 238.

We still have no Al-Qaeda confirmation of al-Zawahiri's death, do we?

It would have to be spectacular Decembre to beat the record. And November needs to deliver some more. Possible, but maybe only a probability of, say, 30%?

A very clear headed sober and balanced analysis.  I  however  am determined  to remain an optimist until the last few minutes of the year!

I agree that November needs to deliver some more  to increase the odds.  I'm hopeful and hoping....!

Dear everyone - I announced last year that my third year of entering all the teams would be my last.

@Banana said he could help but I never took this forward however I am available to help them bed in in early December if they are still prepared to do the role?

If not then we need a new replacement - there are a number of posters on here who seem to love creating incredibly long lists of people and the task is no more onerous than that really - there is about an hour a day needed through December and then an intense 4 or 5 hours a day needed in first week or two of Jan and then you're done for the whole year.

Whether there is a volunteer or not I won't be doing it.

Cheers, GUN

• Thanks 1

Love a list, however I believe I'm unlikely to be technically enough qualified to upload stuff.

That and my laptop may be an issue, Chrome has decided to stop working and for some reason I can't uninstall it or install a new version of it.

Are we about to pronounce the death of the DDP itself?

The part I do is not really technical - it’s cutting, pasting and editing plus a shed load of searching and finding. Reptile does all the clever stuff.

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

The part I do is not really technical - it’s cutting, pasting and editing plus a shed load of searching and finding. Reptile does all the clever stuff.

IIRC, Excel is involved. Which is computer poison to me - a numbers program used for text? Insanity. :lol:

• Like 1