Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

On 25/11/2022 at 09:39, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Apologies for the delay but I’ve just been thinking about this (I asked back in December about whether Welsh obit sources could be included as there are Scottish ones). 

I don’t know much about circulations so I’m not sure what papers to suggest if the Western Mail wouldn’t qualify. I wondered if S4C’s Newyddion website might be appropriate, seeing as it is similar to the BBC, ITV and C4 sources as the news website of a free-to-view major UK TV channel. S4C is the Welsh-language equivalent of Channel 4 and has major BBC involvement. 
I believe the content on the Newyddion website and the BBC News Welsh-language site (accessible from the main English-language BBC News page) is usually the same. Both sites are part of BBC News, one more obviously than the other. 

If the Irish Times isn’t a source (and it’s not), it’ll be a few years once that oversight is corrected before a bloody Welsh source will see the light of day.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

If the Irish Times isn’t a source (and it’s not), it’ll be a few years once that oversight is corrected before a bloody Welsh source will see the light of day.

I think you can kindly get lost with that “Bloody Welsh source” shite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I think you can kindly get lost with that “Bloody Welsh source” shite.

Keys of marinus, meet sir creep.

I've no say in the obits now.  S4C sounded convincing till I twigged it was a Welsh language source. It's a headache which does bias against the Welsh I'm afraid but I'm at a loss to suggest a feasible solution.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_J.html#jonesa

One of the teams that played "Alan Jones" in the DDP this year is an F1 theme outfit, so presumably they wanted the former racing driver rather than the Australian rugby commentator who is in the database.

Thanks! Tricky. They are both picked this year. So yeah, this has to be kept in mind for the team entry process. 

Edit: Well actually, it's unclear if the Australian theme team picked the Australian Radio host or the Australian Formula One driver.... Guess we just hope they both survive the year.

• Haha 1

Clare Marx`s death puts me at joint 11th.Sincerely doubt I will stay there for long but not inconceivable I sneak onto the top 10 for the first time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Clare Marx`s death puts me at joint 11th.Sincerely doubt I will stay there for long but not inconceivable I sneak onto the top 10 for the first time.

I'm a point behind yers, in a clear 13th place, my team - largely composed of low hanging low scorers - have so far totally out-performed my expectations of maybe just sneaking into the top 20

If only I could pick them all again!

A quick update as the 2023 thread typically is set up around this time.

If all goes as planned we should be ready to open for 2023 around December 4th. Banana is all set to succeed GUN in the team entry role, with GUN providing appropriate training as needed.

Stay tuned...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

On 29/11/2022 at 05:33, Spade_Cooley said:

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_J.html#jonesa

One of the teams that played "Alan Jones" in the DDP this year is an F1 theme outfit, so presumably they wanted the former racing driver rather than the Australian rugby commentator who is in the database.

Sorry, this was me. I should've specified on the sheet, his Wikipedia page isn't even named "Alan Jones" but rather "Alan Jones (racing driver)", so I should've realized I needed to specify the racing driver. Something to keep in mind when I send in my teams for next year, I suppose.

Just checking but if Alan Jones (racing driver) were to die would I still get points?

3 hours ago, Nick said:

Sorry, this was me. I should've specified on the sheet, his Wikipedia page isn't even named "Alan Jones" but rather "Alan Jones (racing driver)", so I should've realized I needed to specify the racing driver. Something to keep in mind when I send in my teams for next year, I suppose.

Just checking but if Alan Jones (racing driver) were to die would I still get points?

Yes!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Death Impends said:

A quick update as the 2023 thread typically is set up around this time.

If all goes as planned we should be ready to open for 2023 around December 4th. Banana is all set to succeed GUN in the team entry role, with GUN providing appropriate training as needed.

Stay tuned...

Glad to hear this. @YoungWillz mused I might be the man for the job at the end of the last Scavenger Hunt, and although I've never entered the DDP I did have a look and think the tasks seemed doable. But I've got a lot on this December, on various fronts, and just didn't think I could give it the time needed in the run-up to Christmas. But, equally, a legendary deadpool falling by the wayside was not an appealing prospect. So, good on @Banana for picking up the baton, good to see the DDP continuing, and I'll try and get round to entering at least!

• Like 6

Julia Reichert pretty much clinches it for Spade whenever the obit comes, and puts him within reach of breaking the points record if Pele does go.

I will be interesting in joining in 2023 but I can't find the scoring rules on the site. What is the drop 40 section and the party pooper one ? are we allowed to do a french theme team for example and a main list ? will we score for both ?

3 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I will be interesting in joining in 2023 but I can't find the scoring rules on the site. What is the drop 40 section and the party pooper one ? are we allowed to do a french theme team for example and a main list ? will we score for both ?

Point scoring rules is in the top left corner on the scoreboard page.

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/scores.html

You can have up to 3 teams, themes or normal lists.

Score record so far 168 for Golden Slumbers?

Though if Spade's old record result of 155 pts gets some added Drop 40 bonus points, (18 pts on a quick glance?) he'd have been at 173.

• Like 1

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

yes but what does drop 40 and party pooler mean ?

Drop 40 are the 40 most popular picks of the year or so, whereas the party pooper are those who died on their birthday or Christmas 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Drop 40 are the 40 most popular picks of the year or so, whereas the party pooper are those who died on their birthday or Christmas 

thanks a lot ! :) 

What does anything mean? Are we adrift in an uncaring universe, only to end up killing each other and our planet? Are we human, or are we dancer?

30 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Not a concern at top end of DDP but does maintain my record of always getting more than 100 points - was starting to look a bit iffy, thought I was going to be stuck on 99.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Not a concern at top end of DDP but does maintain my record of always getting more than 100 points - was starting to look a bit iffy, thought I was going to be stuck on 99.  

Oh, that's actually something I also strive for. My first year though was a practice year... but since then I always got at least 100 pts. Last year it was close with exactly 100 pts (three non-obits...Gary Burgess a day too late).

I do note that Reichert is my 9th female hit of the year... is this a record? DDP-winning teams tend to be overwhelmingly male when you look at the records: for instance, The Love Boat in 2020 only had one female hit (Sonia Kinsella, although they did also have the AMAB non-binary Genesis P-Orridge).

• Like 1