Stayin Alive

Luciano Pavarotting.

In one of the previous posts on here there was a link to an article saying he was having chemo for 6 months from August. Put him on the list I say!

I agree. He may have his good days when he feels well enough to make a public appearance, but in the end pancreatic cancer has such a low survival rate and will likely lead to his demise. He is staying on my list.

Youre currently on top of the leaderboard on DDP! Congrats! Any hot tips for next year? I'm compiling mine for another list tonight. :P

In one of the previous posts on here there was a link to an article saying he was having chemo for 6 months from August. Put him on the list I say!

I agree. He may have his good days when he feels well enough to make a public appearance, but in the end pancreatic cancer has such a low survival rate and will likely lead to his demise. He is staying on my list.

Youre currently on top of the leaderboard on DDP! Congrats! Any hot tips for next year? I'm compiling mine for another list tonight. :P

Take a look here

As much as looking at a big ole list of possibilities is interesting, it would be even better if you could enlighten me as to why you've picked em! :lol:

As much as looking at a big ole list of possibilities is interesting, it would be even better if you could enlighten me as to why you've picked em! :lol:

I will give you 3:

Tammy Faye Messner - dying of lung cancer (definately a good bet if she survives until 2007)

Luciano Pavarotti - suffering from pancreatic cancer (a good bet in my view due to the low survival rate for that dissease)

Evil Knievel - suffering from hepatitis C, liver transplant, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, requires oxygen 24 hrs a day

The rest of my choices I am keeping close to my chest :lol:

Regards,

ff

Pavarotti cancels public appearance

Despite the upbeat comments of his publicist, I think this is a bad sign.

I think old Pav has to be on my list for next year but a word of caution, although pancreatic cancer is not easily treatable and tends to spread fairly quickly it is possible to live for more than a year if the diagnosis is early. He's not a racing certainty for 2007. A few bars of Nessun Dorma each evening might just get him in to 2008. Unlikely, I admit, but he could hang in there a little longer than might be supposed.

Pavarotti cancels public appearance

Despite the upbeat comments of his publicist, I think this is a bad sign.

I think old Pav has to be on my list for next year but a word of caution, although pancreatic cancer is not easily treatable and tends to spread fairly quickly it is possible to live for more than a year if the diagnosis is early. He's not a racing certainty for 2007. A few bars of Nessun Dorma each evening might just get him in to 2008. Unlikely, I admit, but he could hang in there a little longer than might be supposed.

I agree there Godot. It's a bad one to have, but the five year survival rates are... well five year.

He and Ford keep bouncing on and off my lists...

I agree there Godot. It's a bad one to have, but the five year survival rates are... well five year.

He and Ford keep bouncing on and off my lists...

*sigh* Same here too. I have 21 candidates for DDP and that would be easy if I didn't already have 12 in my team...

Trying to decide who to keep and who to drop is causing a few furrowed brows at OOO Towers:-

THE CANDIDATES:-

Charlie Drake

Shoko Asahara

Saddam & Cronies

Evel Knievel

Luciano Pavarotti

Lansana Conte

Basil d'Oliviera

Harold Pinter

Fidel Castro

Gore Vidal

Charlton Heston

John Forsythe

Rev Billy Graham

Yitzhak Shamir

Augusto Pinochet

Gerald Ford

Louis Farrakhan

Maurice Papon

and 3 secret candidates, one young but obscure, one old & not, and one in the middle.

Somehow I've got to drop at least 11 of them......

Ah good, finally something to do other than study for my last final. The following may helpful to all, if I may have a go...

THE CANDIDATES:-

Charlie Drake

As we saw with Freeman, things are not always what they seem. Thought Drake would be gone before him, but apparently not. If you've got more certain wagers, I'd leave him off.

Shoko Asahara

Definitely going to die, but I'm a bit wary of hedging my bets on the condemned after Hussain...

Saddam & Cronies

And speaking of Hussain... we have Hussein! I'm leaving them all of HDP as a matter of personal pride, but this is one matter that certainly warrants further discussion.

Evel Knievel

Dead in five years? Certainly. Dead next year? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps worth the gamble given the new age restructuring.

Luciano Pavarotti

Gerald Ford

See above

Lansana Conte

After Nguema, I'm a bit wary with taken Western assessments of the health of African leaders. I'm leaning towards keeping him, but only because there is a broad consensus that he's a goner soon.

Basil d'Oliviera

He's got a tricky disease. Also in the same category as Ray Kennedy if I'm not mistaken. I'll probably end up leaving them off since I'll not be able to decide between the two.

Harold Pinter

Deffo keep on my list, but as I said I'm a tad biased. Still, he's doing quite poorly... active as per the posted news articles, but not exactly in good health.

Fidel Castro

I suppose this one depends on your personal assessment of how sick he is. Missing his birthday was a bad sign... but it'd be hard to justify putting him, Pavarotti, Sharon and Ford all on the same list...

Gore Vidal

I don't trust the news reports enough to believe that he's that close to death, and at 80 years old it's probably not worth the risk.

Charlton Heston

Absolute keep I'd say, all the signs point to him not lasting out next year, if he evens makes it that far. Back in April his family said that they didn't expect him to last the year, and now they're keeping tight-lipped, despite the fact that he had asked for all details about his illness to be made public.

John Forsythe

Leave him off I'd say. He's supposedly cured of his cancer, and again, age is not worth the risk.

Rev Billy Graham

I'm going to try and find out what time his Christmas Special is on tonight and get back to you on this one. CarolAnn - this is a job for you, because I KNOW he'll be on in Texas (they're pre-empting something else for it an atheists got all pissy)

Yitzhak Shamir

Doesn't recognize visitors anymore, and I personally hope the miserable old bastard carks it soon, but if Reagan is any indicator, he might go on for a while yet, especially since Reagan had it for 11 or 12 years - Shamir's had it for 3 or 4 tops.

Augusto Pinochet

Won't be able to tell until nearer to the end of December, though personally I think he's full of sh*t. Wouldn't hurt to be proven wrong in this case though.

Louis Farrakhan

Again, really depends on how sick you believe he is. I'm fiddling with his position on my list, leaning towards off, but unsure at the moment. I have a feeling that if I add him, come January 1 he'll be up on stage telling everyone how moon men cured him.

Maurice Papon

Definitely keep I'd say, he can't possibly hang on much longer. One of the 90+s that are worth keeping I'd say.

Somehow I've got to drop at least 11 of them......

*Whew* From the above analysis, I'd say drop Drake, d'Oliviera, Vidal, Forsythe and Shamir for sure. Wait to see about Graham and Pinochet. Past that, I guess it's all subjective.

Hope that helped someone. :P

Ah good, finally something to do other than study for my last final. The following may helpful to all, if I may have a go...

Hope that helped someone. :ph34r:

Thanks, CP, always good to check with a fellow DL'r. Rather than just take free advice & run, my musings (followed on from last night)

Charlie Drake- There's no reason why he should die. But when Freeman died, I thought "I must include Drake in 2007". In the cold light of day I'm not so sure.

Verdict: Undecided

Shoko Asahara - Due to the age restructcing, I think he might be worth the big risk.

Verdict: Probably

Saddam & Co - I'm very, very wary of naming all three. I believe I should drop one of Saddam or the Judge who both fall under the same age bracket. The Judge might get commuted to life, but Saddam might have to stay alive for the next trial, pass 70 years of age and will either be unable to be hanged due to his age, but also will drop 1 point for passing 70 on DDP.

Verdict: One to be dropped, but not sure who. Barzan's on though.

Evel Knievel - agree totally CP. He's a goner soon, but I don't think it'll be as early as next year. But as you say, he's a good bet due to his age.

Verdict: Undecided.

Luciano Pavarotti - My own feeling is that given his cancer, age & fatness, he should be gone already. He was all set to be removed, but as noted above, missing an engagement is never a good sign.

Verdict: probably not

Lansana Conte - the trouble is, how ill is he? Rarely, for an African despot, he has admitted he IS ill. But I agree with your sentiments.

Basil d'Oliviera - a difficult one. He has Parkinson's badly, but as you mention, so has Ray Kennedy and he's in the same boat. But B d'O is a lot older.

Harold Pinter - essentially he's beaten cancer, he's just very, very frail. This article is about as close to the truth with his current health as I've seen, and on that basis, he's out.

Verdict: Dropped

Fidel Castro until he missed the recent celebrations, I would've left him off. But not even making an appearance was really odd. He may take a back seat, but if he was doing that, he would've been at one function.

Gore Vidal - he does look terrible & has aged badly in 12 months. But like Pinter, has fire in his belly.

Verdict: Probably might end up being 21st & reserve

Charlton Heston - I think I agree with CP. Certainly hasn't been any good news in the last 12 months

Verdict: Almost certainly on

John Forsythe - signs are it's a slow recovery, but it is a recovery. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.

Rev Billy Graham - he has so many things wrong with him that he should be on the list. But still I'm not certain.

Yitzhak Shamir - I see your point of view, CP. But Stroessner surprised me in 06, maybe Shamir 07?

Augusto Pinochet - before his recent antics, he was off the list. Now IF he's had a real h/a, I think he could be like Shelly Winters. If he's faking, he'll last for years.

Verdict: F**k knows

Gerald Ford - no reason why he should suddenly drop dead, but too much of a risk to remove.

Verdict: Probably on.

Louis Farrakhan - sticking my neck out & saying he's not as ill as rumoured. I can't see him AND Graham going. It's a risk, but I think he'll pull through

Maurice Papon - like DL's Dunny for me. Been on every list - him & Gloria Stuart. She's out already, and I don't think i can risk taking them both off

Verdict: In, but only for sentimental reasons (ie the bugger has to die soon)

:P

He does still seem optimistic about a comeback next year - I'm not quite convinced that he will be a goner in 2007.

Pavarotti has turned to an Italian faith healer, renowned for the extraordinary heat said to emanate from her hands, to help him recover.

Ah, from regular medicine to a faith healer, that's always fatal and quickly so if it's used instead. He's a gonner.

But will it be in 2007? Decisions...

regards,

Hein

Pavarotti has turned to an Italian faith healer, renowned for the extraordinary heat said to emanate from her hands, to help him recover.

Ah, from regular medicine to a faith healer, that's always fatal and quickly so if it's used instead. He's a gonner.

But will it be in 2007? Decisions...

regards,

Hein

I think he's a cast iron cert for 2007 . Its pure fantasy on his part to think he will sing again .....If he was "on the road to recovery" , the last thing he would do is call on the services of a quack faith - healer . Bye-bye Fatty !!

My thoughts on Pavarotti are that he's not a sure thing, but he's too risky to leave off, for the DL at least. Given that there's 50 slots, it's not likely that you can find 50 people as famous and sicker than he is, and you know that if he does die, there will be an outcry as to why he wasn't included on the list.

For a list of 20 like, say, the DDP... it may be possible to find 20 better candidates since the fame requirements are more lax... it's all subjective at this point. For those who care, he'll be on my list, but certainly not as my joker.

Doesn't look too serious.

Pavarotti hospitalized in NYC.

Perhaps pulling a Lou Rawls?

My joker at slot 3. I want to hear that beautiful witch scream for me now...

If that were to happen that would be a huge DL miss due to his omission from our list.

I don't think he will make it through 2007.

Whilst well known for his opera singing, Pavarotti's death metal contributions have often been overlooked.

Whilst well known for his opera singing, Pavarotti's death metal contributions have often been overlooked.

LMAO! :P

regards,

Hein

If that were to happen that would be a huge DL miss due to his omission from our list.

I don't think he will make it through 2007.

Paverotti would have been the better bet then Johnson. But the list is what it is. And so is my DDP.

Pavarotti has been overhead making his own funeral arrangements.