TQR

Falling Fauna

5 hours ago, drol said:

Bobi dead at 31.

Spike is still alive and now succeeds him as the oldest known dog in the world, born on Nov 30, 1999, he lives in Camden, Ohio, USA

China's most famous crocodile Xiaohe, who was also the world's largest crocodile in captivity, dead at 41.

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The claims of Bobi's age are now being investigated by the Guinness Book of Records:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/29/claims-about-genuine-age-of-bobi-worlds-oldest-dog-to-be-investigated

I've been skeptical from the start. I've owned many Golden Retrievers and Bobi seems to be around that size. The Golden Retriever I grew up with lived to be 14 which is quite old for a dog of his size. And here you have a dog of a similar size that's claimed to be more than twice the age and in generally great health, and being from rural Portugal where you don't exactly have documentation. Definitely suspicious.

Another deer in the freezer.

IMG_3807.jpeg

• Like 1

Well that wasn’t the intention of the thread. That poor deer.

44 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

"It now appears that his grand old age may actually have been a product of lax fact-checking. Guinness World Records said last year that Bobi’s age had been verified by a Portuguese government database.

However, an investigation by Wired magazine found that Bobi had only been registered on the system in 2022, a year before he died. At the time, Bobi’s owner had declared that the dog had been born in 1992, but an official for the database explained that it had “no registration or data that can confirm or deny this statement”."

That's incredibly embarrassing. Why should anyone take Guinness World Records seriously when that's where they set the bar with standards?

• Like 3

It was pretty obvious that the claim was nonsense to anyone who did even surface-level inspection. It was supposedly double the life expectancy for the breed, had no real signs of extreme age, was morbidly obese, and "pictures from when it was young" were clearly of a different dog. 

GWR has always been extremely inaccurate for longevity - both human and animal. It's a joke organisation that cares only about profit and publicity, not factual accuracy. The GRG is rather similar (though they swap profit for ego). Appropriately, it's the GRG that supplies GWR with their human data.

• Like 3

These pet longevity records are jokes. I've never heard how Creme Puff, the "world's oldest ever cat" was validated by GWR. Same owner had another cat that was allegedly 26 in 1996 and at death 33 (in 1998) after the owner claimed he miscalculated the age of the cat. GWR validated the cat as 33 or 34 years old. The fifth-oldest GWR-verified cat gave birth at "30". I've seen many elderly cats and dogs (ages 15-22) and the cases you see in the news rarely even look, act or seem old.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, arghton said:

These pet longevity records are jokes. I've never heard how Creme Puff, the "world's oldest ever cat" was validated by GWR. Same owner had another cat that was allegedly 26 in 1996 and at death 33 (in 1998) after the owner claimed he miscalculated the age of the cat. GWR validated the cat as 33 or 34 years old. The fifth-oldest GWR-verified cat gave birth at "30". I've seen many elderly cats and dogs (ages 15-22) and the cases you see in the news rarely even look, act or seem old.

My nan's cat lived to 23. She had a healthy, trouble-free life but for the last two years she was a sack of meat with patches of fur stuck on her. She wasn't in pain but she was stone deaf, blind in one eye, no teeth and had two functioning legs on a good day. These ones who turn up aged thirtysomething looking pristine are so obviously bollocks it's incredible that GWR give them the time of day.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Master Obit said:

It was pretty obvious that the claim was nonsense to anyone who did even surface-level inspection. It was supposedly double the life expectancy for the breed, had no real signs of extreme age, was morbidly obese, and "pictures from when it was young" were clearly of a different dog. 

GWR has always been extremely inaccurate for longevity - both human and animal. It's a joke organisation that cares only about profit and publicity, not factual accuracy. The GRG is rather similar (though they swap profit for ego). Appropriately, it's the GRG that supplies GWR with their human data.

Just like Jeanne Calment being 122 and Shigechiyo Izumi being 120 :biggrin:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stogiagio said:

Just like Jeanne Calment being 122 and Shigechiyo Izumi being 120 :biggrin:

Shigechiyo yes. Calment I maintain is genuine (and that's my own independent viewpoint having actually looked at documentation). It's amazing how many people are willing to trust quack Zak.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TQR said:

My nan's cat lived to 23. She had a healthy, trouble-free life but for the last two years she was a sack of meat with patches of fur stuck on her. She wasn't in pain but she was stone deaf, blind in one eye, no teeth and had two functioning legs on a good day. These ones who turn up aged thirtysomething looking pristine are so obviously bollocks it's incredible that GWR give them the time of day.

My cat is getting fairly high up in age now (he's not quite that level, but he's nearer to 20 than 10). He's always been very agile and healthy, but even he is starting to show his age a little. You just don't get to a really extreme age without there being some signs of it.

Also, if he ever even got remotely close to being the oldest in the world, I'd be seeking recognition for it. I wouldn't wait several years, like the owners of Bobi apparently did (if he had been 31, he would have been the oldest known dog in the world for a long time beforehand) - there's simply too much risk that death would occur before recognition.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, polar duck said:

Georgia State Bulldog Uga X dead at 10

Since I joined this forum in 2008, Uga IV, Uga VII, Uga VIII, Uga IX and now Uga X have died. 

They should really stop breeding flat face dogs like English bulldogs and pugs for peoples' amusement. They're riddled with health problems and their existence is cruel – they can barely breathe.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Since I joined this forum in 2008, Uga IV, Uga VII, Uga VIII, Uga IX and now Uga X have died. 

They should really stop breeding flat face dogs like English bulldogs and pugs for peoples' amusement. They're riddled with health problems and their existence is cruel – they can barely breathe.

A small number of breeders have been breeding bulldogs with longer snouts which can breathe properly. Dog breeders are crazy though. Don't get me started on the smaller version of XL bullies/"bullyz" that look like demonic frogs.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

VII lasted not even 2 seasons (heart failure). His successor lasted barely 3 months (cancer). IX actually lasted fairly long (from 2009-2015), more in line with the first half-dozen or so. X actually also lasted fairly long (8 years or so in the role). Most of them last 8-ish years, which is pretty good for a dog with heavy public obligations and a recent history of generational health issues. They only generally live 8-10 years anyway, so frankly most are outperforming their expected lifespans!

The horse that led the Queen's funeral procession is dead, it probably found out about Charles' diagnosis and had a heart attack thinking about the amount of work it was going to have to put in for the second time in 2 years. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 5

A female jaguar died in the Leningrad Zoo (St. Petersburg), she was 24 years old.
In the wild, jaguars live on average about 15 years.

fontanka.ru ria.ru

Agness.jpg

• Like 1