RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

12 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

But, not so fast, because today has seen Nigel Pearson rather harshly done away with by Bristol City, with the side 15th in the Championship having lost 2-0 to Cardiff on Saturday. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67256945 This is despite him overseeing a slashing in the wage bill, selling players on for significant sums of money that haven't been reinvested into the squad, struggling with his health due to an undiagnosed neurological issue, which is causing him to use crutches at the moment AND having the backing of the fans, which is arguably the most difficult thing to manage of all! Nevertheless, the demise of the second-longest serving manager in the Championship gives Wannamaker his second hit of the weekend and moves him into second place outright on 6

I think this information will be of interest beyond this game

• Like 3

13 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'm thinking he won't be jobless for long. 

Wondering if Michael Beale may be in line for a sensational and controversial return to Loftus Road...or maybe at Bristol City?

Doesn't count here because he was only assistant but Colin Calderwood has just been hoisted from that role at Northampton to first team coach at Southampton, no pressure, then

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Doesn't count here because he was only assistant but Colin Calderwood has just been hoisted from that role at Northampton to first team coach at Southampton, no pressure, then

And my Beale suggestion is a non-starter, turns out QPR have appointed a random Spaniard working in Sweden as their new boss. That's bound to end well, but I live to be proved wrong...

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

And my Beale suggestion is a non-starter, turns out QPR have appointed a random Spaniard working in Sweden as their new boss. That's bound to end well, but I live to be proved wrong...

Yeah, bring it on - Loftus Road is an agreeable day out for the London Branch of Carlisle's support - last time there we won 2-0 in the League Cup. 

Looking forward to that League One clash next season

• Like 2

No sackings as yet this weekend, but 2 strike me as potentially imminent. Today, Norwich lost 3-1 at home to my Blackburn and were pretty woeful (2 down after 15 minutes, 3 down 3 minutes into the second half) and only scored the consolation in injury time, even though we played the last 35 minutes with 10 men. The mood music pre-match was that this was David Wagner's last chance (they haven't won a league game since September 30th) and, as a job saver, this was not promising.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth were hammered by Man City yesterday (6-1) and, while that may not be surprising in itself, watching MOTD last night they looked awful. They do seem to have some faith in Iraola and I thought his job was probably safe so long as they were outside the bottom 3, but following Luton's draw today, that is no longer the case. Newcastle at home next week, then an enormous game away to Sheffield United. Nothing from that and the axe could well fall surely?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

No sackings as yet this weekend, but 2 strike me as potentially imminent. Today, Norwich lost 3-1 at home to my Blackburn and were pretty woeful (2 down after 15 minutes, 3 down 3 minutes into the second half) and only scored the consolation in injury time, even though we played the last 35 minutes with 10 men. The mood music pre-match was that this was David Wagner's last chance (they haven't won a league game since September 30th) and, as a job saver, this was not promising.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth were hammered by Man City yesterday (6-1) and, while that may not be surprising in itself, watching MOTD last night they looked awful. They do seem to have some faith in Iraola and I thought his job was probably safe so long as they were outside the bottom 3, but following Luton's draw today, that is no longer the case. Newcastle at home next week, then an enormous game away to Sheffield United. Nothing from that and the axe could well fall surely?

Aye, the fact they're within spitting distance of the League Two play-off places is likely helping Swindon's Michael Flynn tonight but his outfit were seven goals down to Aldershot yesterday, before they scored four of their own at home. I saw Carlisle hammer them there - by four goals - just once but wtf got into them yesterday?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, the fact they're within spitting distance of the League Two play-off places is likely helping Swindon's Michael Flynn tonight but his outfit were seven goals down to Aldershot yesterday, before they scored four of their own at home. I saw Carlisle hammer them there - by four goals - just once but wtf got into them yesterday?

Ah yes, I should probably have looked into Swindon's position, I noted the result. First time a non-league club has ever put 7 past a league club in the FA Cup (and away from home too!). The 4 consolations made it seem considerably more competitive than it clearly was. Too many changes perhaps?

8 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Ah yes, I should probably have looked into Swindon's position, I noted the result. First time a non-league club has ever put 7 past a league club in the FA Cup (and away from home too!). The 4 consolations made it seem considerably more competitive than it clearly was. Too many changes perhaps?

Haven't a clue tbh - though you do get these situations whereby a league club from the bottom tiers do bring the reserves in for cup games. Carlisle crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday, having stiffed out of the League Cup in the first round and lost our two EFL Trophy games so far. If we lose to Harrogate next week we'll have lost every cup game. Priority is survival in League One.  The one thing we did on Saturday for the first time in a cup game this year was score (one), shame about the three we let in!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Haven't a clue tbh - though you do get these situations whereby a league club from the bottom tiers do bring the reserves in for cup games. Carlisle crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday, having stiffed out of the League Cup in the first round and lost our two EFL Trophy games so far. If we lose to Harrogate next week we'll have lost every cup game. Priority is survival in League One.  The one thing we did on Saturday for the first time in a cup game this year was score (one), shame about the three we let in!

I spent 5 years under Tony Mowbray getting beat by teams of all abilities in the League and FA Cups, as he never seemed bothered by them. Last season, under Tomasson, we reached the League Cup last 16 and the FA Cup Quarter Finals - we won more cup games last season than in the entire Mowbray era I think, including beating 2 Premier League teams away from home along the way. He loves the cups does JDT, but still makes lots of changes. We got beat 2-0 away to Chelsea last week, with an average age of 22.6. And both their goals only came from mistakes!

Yes, Oxford's loss is Bristol City's gain, as after 8 months at the Kassam Stadium (is it still called that?) Liam Manning has decided to take the opportunity to jump up to Championship level, leaving Oxford 2nd in League One after 15 games.

For once in this game, success for a manager is success for a gameplayer, as Diego picked Manning to leave, and so earns his 3rd hit of the game.

Updated scoreboard:

Sly Ronnie - 9

Wannamaker - 6

Great Uncle Bulgaria, Bibliogryphon, Lady Fiona, Rover and Out - 5

Buffalo Phil, Diego - 3

MariNisia, Commtech Sio Bibble, Maryportfuncity - 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

the Kassam Stadium (is it still called that?)

Yes, it is! 

Fun fact:  I had my first Covid jabs there.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, it is! 

Fun fact:  I had my first Covid jabs there.

Didn't expect you to be the one to confirm that Toast! :lol: Nice of you to drop in on our little game.

• Like 2

So, where does Marcus Rashford's red card leave Erik ten Hag. Man Utd (probably) have to beat Galatasary (where they've never won) and will likely need at least a draw against Bayern Munich to remain in the Champions League. If they're dumped out of that and still off the pace for the same competition next year...

The blue side of the city are likely enjoying this immensely 

Brian Rice has left Scottish League One side Alloa Athletic. Another hit for @diego

• Thanks 2

Another busy couple of the days in this game, I was wondering who will pull the trigger during the international break. First, a slightly happier situation, with Brian Rice leaving Alloa Athletic to take up a role at Premier League Livingston as First Team Coach rather than manager. https://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/23916541.brian-rice-leaving-alloa-gave-new-lease-life/ He leaves Alloa 6th in Scottish League 1, but only a couple of points off 3rd. This was good news for @diego, who picked up his 4th hit in the game.

Meanwhile today, Matt Taylor has been sacked by Rotherham United, which I didn't see coming, but as Rovers played on Friday, I didn't pay much attention to the weekend fixtures and they lost 5-0 to Watford and are 22nd in the table, 4 points from safety (but no further away than they were last week). https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67402754 Not sure why I didn't pick him, Rotherham were always likely to struggle this season, but my loss was a gain for 4 players who picked him! Diego got another hit to move to 5, @MariNisia earned a 3rd hit, @ladyfiona moved up to 6 hits and @wannamaker went one further, moving onto 7. 7 of the 11 players have now reached 25% completion with 5 or more hits.

Updated scoreboard:

Sly Ronnie - 9

Wannamaker - 7

Lady Fiona - 6

Great Uncle Bulgaria, Bibliogryphon, Rover and Out, Diego - 5

Buffalo Phil, MariNisia - 3

Commtech Sio Bibble, Maryportfuncity - 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just done a quick scout of the more obscure picks in the game to make sure we haven't missed anything (we haven't, but Rodney McAree's Dungannon Swifts are bottom of the table with 1 win in 16 games, so Diego may be in luck there soon!).

Slightly embarrassingly though, I have discovered an error that I'm amazed I (and nobody else) haven't picked up before now. I picked Owen Coyle at Queen's Park in my team, but it appears he resigned in May after losing in the Scottish Championship play offs. Consequently, he was an illegal pick. My first reserve was Darren Ferguson of Peterborough who is still in post. If everybody is happy, I'll substitute Ferguson into my team and make the necessary adjustments, With Peterborough 4th in the table, I don't think he's at immediate risk of joining the dole queue at any rate...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just done a quick scout of the more obscure picks in the game to make sure we haven't missed anything (we haven't, but Rodney McAree's Dungannon Swifts are bottom of the table with 1 win in 16 games, so Diego may be in luck there soon!).

Slightly embarrassingly though, I have discovered an error that I'm amazed I (and nobody else) haven't picked up before now. I picked Owen Coyle at Queen's Park in my team, but it appears he resigned in May after losing in the Scottish Championship play offs. Consequently, he was an illegal pick. My first reserve was Darren Ferguson of Peterborough who is still in post. If everybody is happy, I'll substitute Ferguson into my team and make the necessary adjustments, With Peterborough 4th in the table, I don't think he's at immediate risk of joining the dole queue at any rate...

Aye, no worries from my end - though I'm embarrassed as fuck by my own tepid performance. One tactic - picking managers of teams seemingly promoted out of their comfort zone - having proven a complete waste of time. Am I the only person on this thread that once regularly visited Aveley? You'd need to increase the number of shops just to make the place a non-event and they're currently well in the fight for a fifth tier place. So that's one safe manager on my team, then. 

36 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

If everybody is happy

yep.

48 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

No, I think you should withdraw your team, resign from your post as host and jump off a cliff.

Nah, only kidding, stick him in, I've got him as well so we can both suffer his success!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was listening to 5 Live's Monday Night Club on the way home tonight, and they did a feature on the fact that we are halfway through November and no Premier League managers have been sacked yet, which hasn't happened in 7 of the past 10 Premier League seasons. By this time last season, 6 clubs had changed their manager. The reasons suggested were that 4 of the big 7 are happy with their situation (Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Newcastle), while of the other 3, Spurs and Chelsea changed manager in the summer and United are in limbo over the ownership situation, so Ten Hag is safe for now. At the other end, the 3 promoted clubs have credit in the bank, Luton will stick with their manager regardless probably this season, Sheff United have a tricky ownership situation which has bought Heckingbottom some time, and Kompany is maybe most at risk but is considered a promising manager. As for those above, there's been less panic to change because the bottom 3 have struggled so much. In a normal season, Bournemouth or Everton could have been in deep relegation trouble with their points tallies at earlier stages, but they've never really been in the drop zone because the bottom 3 have done so poorly after 12 games. My personal contribution would be that 11 of the 20 Premier League clubs have changed manager since last summer, so perhaps they're not feeling the need to pull the trigger too soon as they rebuild in some way or other.

• Like 1