Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2024 Deathlist

12 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Eugenia Cooney. A lot of you just need to brush your opinions about her aside and realise that she will obit regardless of how you all feel about it. More interesting than the random 90s olds that are floating around here. 

Would be great if the deathlist just got with the times?

We've gone over this before and it's a losing battle. The Committee's idea of getting with the times would be picking a member of Then Jericho.

• Haha 6

This might seem a bit out of the blue but I recently saw Paul Simon and he seemed to look much older than his 82 years.

13 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

This might seem a bit out of the blue but I recently saw Paul Simon and he seemed to look much older than his 82 years.

The time I saw Paul Simon in 2018 for his farewell tour, I thought he looked younger than he actually was.

Amartya Sen (90), Pete Doherty (44), Woody Allen (87), Rupert Murdoch (92), Frank Gehry (94), George Soros (93), Charlie Munger (99)

On 20/11/2023 at 13:16, jd24fan said:

Kind of an outside-the-box pick, but I wonder if Greg "Fingers" Taylor would be worth a chance? He was Jimmy Buffett's longtime harmonica player until he was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease at least 10 years ago. Average life expectancy is between 3 to 11 years. From what I've heard on Buffett fan groups on Facebook, he hasn't made a public comment about his passing, so I'm not sure if he's aware of it? I'm sort of surprised he outlived Buffett but Taylor is also a few years younger than Buffett was.

"Fingers" did indeed pass last night. It's not in any publications yet, but Buffett's fellow bandmate Mac McAnally posted on his official FB page that he passed, which suggests to me it's true.

1 hour ago, jd24fan said:

"Fingers" did indeed pass last night. It's not in any publications yet, but Buffett's fellow bandmate Mac McAnally posted on his official FB page that he passed, which suggests to me it's true.

This is the DeathList Forum.  You are allowed to say "died".

• Like 3

The following people should be definitely ve on 2024 list 

If not dead by end of the year the following people will definitely be dead next year 

David Attenborough 

Ruth langsford 

Ruth langsford mother joan langsford 

Eammon Holmes 

Lorraine Kelly 

Jane Moore (she is wrinkly and crinkly)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Two names deserving more attention on this thread are Liza Minnelli and Tim Curry. Both have been in declining health for years, and will struggle making 80.

• Like 5

Looks like Van Dyke and Greenspan will be vacating the top 2 spots on the 2024 DL. How boring and unwise.

• Like 2

I think I mentioned it before, if the DeathList wants to continue their streak of picking US foreign policy czars, they can now move on to James Baker.

Donald Rumsfeld skipped the line. I'm not sure anybody after that would qualify. Though I guess they do have Dick Cheney, too.

Madeleine Albright is also dead. Maybe on the Democratic side, Leon Panetta? 

Edit: Technically, the former Secretaries of State John Kerry and Hillary Clinton would also qualify, of course. But as with Dick Cheney, their foreign policy experience is somewhat secondary to their other reasons for notability.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I think I mentioned it before, if the DeathList wants to continue their streak of picking US foreign policy czars, they can now move on to James Baker.

Donald Rumsfeld skipped the line. I'm not sure anybody after that would qualify. Though I guess they do have Dick Cheney, too.

Madeleine Albright is also dead. Maybe on the Democratic side, Leon Panetta? 

Edit: Technically, the former Secretaries of State John Kerry and Hillary Clinton would also qualify, of course. But as with Dick Cheney, their foreign policy experience is somewhat secondary to their other reasons for notability.

Former US ambassadors to the UN Andrew Young and Thomas R. Pickering could also be contenders. 

• Like 2

I suggest Tom Jones, Nancy Sinatra, and Lily Tomlin. Oh and Roman Polanski too. 

I suggest Brigitte Bardot and Francoise Hardy for French names who can be into the DL

1 hour ago, bennib1 said:

I suggest Tom Jones, Nancy Sinatra, and Lily Tomlin. 

To my knowledge Tomlin is in fine health... Although very notable at least in the US, I don't know if she would get a qualified obituary in the UK. Most of her work has been very American centric.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Comped said:

To my knowledge Tomlin is in fine health... Although very notable at least in the US, I don't know if she would get a qualified obituary in the UK. Most of her work has been very American centric.

Tomlin not getting a qo ? Common

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Tomlin not getting a qo ? Common

I don't think a UK outlet is likely. She'll get heavy media coverage here in the US whenever she dies, but the UK is a little more questionable.

• Facepalm 3

4 minutes ago, Comped said:

I don't think a UK outlet is likely. She'll get heavy media coverage here in the US whenever she dies, but the UK is a little more questionable.

She's guaranteed an obit here.

• Like 2

Wondering if Gordon Lightfoot and Lily Tomlin will QO is wild. Your grandma could QO if she appeared for five seconds in a 1960s sitcom.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Comped said:

She was the star of one of the biggest shows on Netflix for nearly a decade. I think she might just about get a QO.

• Like 1

Oscar nominee and West Wing regular Lily Tomlin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Former US ambassadors to the UN Andrew Young and Thomas R. Pickering could also be contenders. 

Andrew Young seemed alright in a recent interview

• Like 1

Lily Tomlin will get coverage in pretty much all British media sources that cover celebrity deaths - The Telegraph and Times will probably give her proper obituaries.

1 hour ago, tracy said:

Wondering if Gordon Lightfoot and Lily Tomlin will QO is wild. Your grandma could QO if she appeared for five seconds in a 1960s sitcom.

Gordon already did QO (despite a day or two of delays for most UK outlets compared to Canadian/US outlets where it was immediate). Lilly... I still think she could struggle to get coverage in the UK. US and Canada, Australia? No question. But I think it'd be significantly delayed or qualified (focusing more on her work in the 70's and 80's, maybe 90's) than her more recent work.

47 minutes ago, msc said:

Oscar nominee and West Wing regular Lily Tomlin.

I know it's run in Ireland (RTE had the full box set on their app for the longest time), but not sure how popular WW was/is in the UK. (side note - the episode with the British PM, oy vey.) Similarly, Magic School Bus (which made Tomlin one of the few actors to be nominated or win an award every season of a show they led, and to also win live action and animated lead actor/actress awards), I have no idea if that ran in the UK at all when it was originally produced in the 90's. Even if now it's still regarded as a classic among educational children's series in the US. (I'm pretty sure I have every episode on VHS plus all the books, somewhere in a box.)

Regardless, her health is fine and I doubt she'll need to make it onto the list for another 5-10 years.

• Facepalm 1

Toby Keith has been battling stomach cancer and looks rough these days.

Jimmy Carter most likely (if he makes it out of 2023)

Phil Collins

There's always a shock death of the year - I nominate Britney Spears

Former Treasury Secretary W. Michael Blumenthal turns 98 next year.

Former Defense Secretary William J. Perry turns 97 next year

Johnny Gilbert the Jeopardy Announcer turns 96 next year

Chevy Chase has been dealing with health issues

Vince McMahon

Jerry Jones

Michael J Fox's Parkinsons has gotten significantly worse

Liza Minelli was looking rough during that awards show appearance with Lady Gaga

Willie Mays 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1