Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

I’d add that if I was still running the poker pool, I’d have been very reluctant to allow him. But a case could have been made.

Annoying as someone said earlier that this guy QOs, while some notable performers or the like from yesteryear don’t.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well we have certainly had a dialogue!

Hasn’t happened in a while. Will it matter by December? Perhaps. Perhaps not. If folk look back at your team, will they know who the hell they were? Does that matter?

Maybe things can be improved, I still don’t see how any rule change would alter the guy’s eligibility. I’m losing no sleep over it!

You'd think some compromise could be come to regarding public servants as there are so many levels of elected official.  I just keep getting stuck on the fact the guy's ward has a population of just 10 thousand people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salmon Mousse said:

You'd think some compromise could be come to regarding public servants as there are so many levels of elected official.  I just keep getting stuck on the fact the guy's ward has a population of just 10 thousand people. 

I’m probably more interested in which big name gets added to the list of the missed because this guy was picked. 

I have said before, there are some more notable elected officials from a lower level who have national notability out with their health status. Asking the DDP guys to start differentiating just causes more dispute. IMO. 

Think it’s a hard one to swallow but hey ho.

51 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

if I was still running the poker pool

I loved the poker pool. Would have liked to see that expanded to a year.

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

I loved the poker pool. Would have liked to see that expanded to a year.

Might come back. You never know. 

I think a year makes the calculations on my end horrendous.

Hopefully my internet is up this week. If so, I might get shuffling in the summer!

• Like 5

On 28/01/2024 at 14:50, YoungWillz said:

You know the rules, and so do I…

Wait: did we all get Rick-Rolled???

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Prowler0000 said:

Wait: did we all get Rick-Rolled???

Aye!

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2024 at 19:37, Spade_Cooley said:

Has there been a change in the CMS or likewise involving the number of characters allowed in a description? Noticed Robert Wagner's bio cuts off short and there's definitely another one that I've forgotten already.

EDIT: Judith Chalmers

Re the truncating of descriptions, as of Access 2013, text fields are redefined as "short text" which has a limit of 255 characters, so any descriptions over 255 chars get truncated. There is a "long text" field (allowing up to 65,535 chars) but I'm unsure of the implications of changing a field type in Access. 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 15:40, Sean said:

Overall I'm not too surprised with my lists.Got one unique on the main team again as predicted and a fair few in  No More Expenses ( had hoped for more) .Got irritatingly close to getting 5 Drop 40 picks on Slippery Soap instead of 3 but managed to get 3 uniques.

I also got most of the big calls right for the Drop 40 and think although unlikely to match my personal best of 14th place I will do a lot better than last year.

Also surprised Beccy Barr was only picked by myself and 2 others.

Barr has confirmed on X that her terminal cancer is 'advanced gastric cancer.'

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

That's the US version though. It doesn't translate to .co.uk. Same with the Sun.

• Thanks 1

Photos, photos, photos!!

If you'd like to help out with adding photos for the DDP let me know here or via message and we'll make a start (I know there are a number who have already volunteered but I didn't know it was my job at the time so I ignored them, so please remind me).

Once you've declared an interest I'll get in touch with the usual guide to photo submission and we can get going. There were seven editors last year - it would be nice if we had even more this year!

Thanks in anticipation!

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That's the US version though. It doesn't translate to .co.uk. Same with the Sun.

That’s unusual as I got it through the Mirror Breaking News account.

25 minutes ago, time said:

Photos, photos, photos!!

If you'd like to help out with adding photos for the DDP let me know here or via message and we'll make a start (I know there are a number who have already volunteered but I didn't know it was my job at the time so I ignored them, so please remind me).

Once you've declared an interest I'll get in touch with the usual guide to photo submission and we can get going. There were seven editors last year - it would be nice if we had even more this year!

Thanks in anticipation!

I'd like to contribute.

I'll do some. Throw me a letter when you're ready.

Feel free to include me to help with the photos.

48 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Google gives more weight to .com than co.uk for SEO purposes. Assuming this means in future a lot of the "local news personality" stories that used to end up on co.uk for The Sun will be .com, and thus another QO route is closed off.

I would like to help with the pictures again.

5 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/12098260/daniel-odonnell-heartbroken-death-manager-kieran-cavanagh/amp/

Presumably this doesn't count for Kieran Cavanaghs death? It's got to be a UK version?

There's Irish Mirror and Irish Sun versions so far.

Oddly his illness got picked up by yahoo the other month but nothing for his death.