Paul Bearer

Paul Nicholas

Paul Nicholas was born on December 3, 1944 in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England, UK. He is an actor, known for Lisztomania (1975), Just Good Friends (1983) and Tommy (1975). Also played Jesus in Jesus Christ superstar.

Only starting this thread as he’ll be 80 this year and I’m watching 1972 most shocking moments.  He’s certainly aged. 

Thoughts? 

• Haha 1

He was just announced this week for the new Faulty Towers stage show in the West End where he is to play the Major. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

He was just announced this week for the new Faulty Towers stage show in the West End where he is to play the Major. 

Really?  Interesting. 

9 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Paul Nicholas was born on December 3, 1944 in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England, UK. He is an actor, known for Lisztomania (1975), Just Good Friends (1983) and Tommy (1975). Also played Jesus in Jesus Christ superstar.

Only starting this thread as he’ll be 80 this year and I’m watching 1972 most shocking moments.  He’s certainly aged. 

Thoughts? 

I think he should be very afraid that PB has started a thread for him!

I kinda always got him and sometime lead singer of Manfred Mann John Paul Jones mixed up in my head.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I think he should be very afraid that PB has started a thread for him!

I kinda always got him and sometime lead singer of Manfred Mann John Paul Jones mixed up in my head.

That’s Paul Jones, John Paul Jones is Led Zeppelin’s bassist and keyboardist :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The sort of thread PB himself would close in a heartbeat, but he’s invoked Admin’s Third Law, clearly visible in the Unwritten Rules. I expect a certain Anglophobic American to have a whinge.

Anyway, he’s more significant (to me) for 70s guilty pleasures Dancing with the Captain (jigging in the rigging!?) and Grandma’s Party, and popular but shit sitcom Just Good Friends at the peak of his early 80s fame.

• Like 1

Just now, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Who is not to be confused with John Paul Young, who in turn is not to be confused with Paul Young. But all are musicians :) 

• Haha 2

I believe the youth of today would refer to this as "W rizz"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I’m doing this off my confused memory and phone! Ha! 

Internet tomorrow they promised where I can sort out who I’m thinking of and other stuff delivered later in the week. By far the worst house move I have made.

Deffo the Manfred guy I got mixed up with, years til I got that clear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Who is not to be confused with John Paul Young, who in turn is not to be confused with Paul Young. But all are musicians :) 

Or to be confused with Paul Young, the lead singer of Sad Café (deceased).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Deffo the Manfred guy I got mixed up with, years til I got that clear. 

Manfred Mann Paul Jones also kids TV legend Uncle Jack. Showing my age probably.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I believe the youth of today would refer to this as "W rizz"

"W ank" more likely.

Paul Nicholas at his sadistic best in Tommy. Quite a journey from this role to the Major in Fawlty Towers 

I recently saw a bit of Just Good Friends and it made me realise how much of that programme relied on Paul Nicholas's charisma.

Vincent is actually a really shitty person (Penny is not much better). Rewatching it now my sympathy is entirely with Penny's parents

22 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Thoughts? 

You've forgotten that he narrated Spot the Dog.