Britain Decides  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a question of how you ACTUALLY voted in the UK General Election held today (4th July 2024). If you didn’t vote, please do not participate in this poll. If you did vote, please answer honestly.

No judgement, no debates, we have other threads for that. The poll is anonymous, though you can choose to announce how you voted if you want to. If you voted in the UK General Election today, where did your X go?

At ten bongs, we’ll have our own exit poll to go with the big nationwide one. Election night special analysis to be held in the General Election 2024 thread, with a collective of expert contributors that put the BBC, ITV, Sky and C4 to shame.

Polling stations open at 0700 and close at 2200. Remember to bring your Photo ID with you. If you want to tactically vote for change, you can check who your best bet is here.

Done. Quite a few in the queue, which is encouraging. No surprises: I voted Labour.

No surprises here - I definitely voted Labour

• Like 1

LibDem/tactically anti-Tory

• Like 1

Boris Johnson took my vote away.

I'm actually with what he said before - having to produce ID to vote is a democratic abomination. But that was his goodbye present to the electorate.

Therefore I remain a bystander. Who would I have voted for? Probably Alba this time round, which would not have mattered in a Lab/SNP swing seat.

What interests me is the likelihood of voter challenges to results where postal votes have failed to reach electors. There may be some seats where voters will have to go to the polls all over again.

Labour. I live in a Labour/SNP marginal, and I both want to maximise the Labour result and have no desire to prop up the SNP.

• Like 1

I voted Labour twice. In both the general election (Where Labour should win but it be with a reduced majority) and the Local By - Election (Where I think the George Galloway supporting independent will win due to various factors) 

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Boris Johnson took my vote away.

I'm actually with what he said before - having to produce ID to vote is a democratic abomination. But that was his goodbye present to the electorate.

I'm not entirely against it, but the range of acceptable ID should be significantly expanded, especially for younger people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm not entirely against it, but the range of acceptable ID should be significantly expanded, especially for younger people.

Labour have said that if they win they will review what ID is accepted. It’s unsustainable in London to accept a +60 TFL issued photocards but not a student TFL issued photocard. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I don't drive. I don't go abroad. I'm not a student or a veteran. I'm not old enough to have a bus pass. I could go on.

Exactly why should I pay the government for a form of ID I'll never use so I can vote in their elections?  I'm on the voters' roll, I have received my polling card (well, it's now a letter) and I like to vote in person.

It's crap, it's gerrymandering, it's nonsense and unless you can prove there is widespread fraud, it's unnecessary.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I don't drive. I don't go abroad. I'm not a student or a veteran. I'm not old enough to have a bus pass. I could go on.

Exactly why should I pay the government for a form of ID I'll never use so I can vote in their elections?  I'm on the voters' roll, I have received my polling card (well, it's now a letter) and I like to vote in person.

It's crap, it's gerrymandering, it's nonsense and unless you can prove there is widespread fraud, it's unnecessary.

I don’t disagree with your criticisms of the policy, but the gov.uk issued Voter ID is absolutely free.

If you didn’t know that, that’s a failure on their part in that they didn’t promote this fact enough to people who need to hear it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

You could have applied for a Voter Authority Certificate for free - you simply had to upload a photo to the government website and provide various bits of personal info such as date of birth and NI number. 

Our polling station, a local church hall, was busier than I've seen it before, with a queue outside when I left. Some of that queue may have been for the café that's held in the room at the back every Thursday, though.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

I don’t disagree with your criticisms of the policy, but the gov.uk issued Voter ID is absolutely free.

If you didn’t know that, that’s a failure on their part in that they didn’t promote this fact enough to people who need to hear it.

I rather like being off the radar as much as possible regarding the government. 

So I have to draw attention to the government of my existence even more than I need to?

1 minute ago, JQW said:

You could have applied for a Voter Authority Certificate for free - you simply had to upload a photo to the government website and provide various bits of personal info such as date of birth and NI number. 

Again with the photo. Why does the government need a photo of me?

Yeah, when they have your photo, your fingerprints and everything else, it'll be mandatory mouth swabs and silicon chips in your hands next.

Fuck them. Fuck them and their interference in my life. Fuck them for denying me a say.

Normally I’m a Green voter but the Tories have got to go. Voted Labour today. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TQR said:

I have no doubt that was deliberate, as it will mostly have been younger people affected.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I rather like being off the radar as much as possible regarding the government. 

So I have to draw attention to the government of my existence even more than I need to?

Fact is, you're not off the radar unless you've never connected to the internet or paid for anything.

Without wishing to sound harsh, you're one of 68 million; you won't stand out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Fact is, you're not off the radar unless you've never connected to the internet or paid for anything.

And on the electoral roll.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well, my point is there are little to no photos of me out there, as far as I am aware.

I didn't say off radar or off grid - I could live in a caravan off the A9 next to a lovely spruce forest if that was my desire.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

And on the electoral roll.

Ask yourself again - why does the government need a photo of me?

They have a lot of information already. I know this. I pay my fucking Council tax and rent ffs. I'm not a fool, despite appearances.

Photo though? Why? And why does Labour run with this? 

It's odd, when the electoral system worked fine for hundreds of years. Screw them with their interference in my person. The fact people are prepared to accept this is the march towards fascism. It was ID that did for the Dutch in WWII. I remain steadfast in my opposition and I am unanimous in that. :lol:

I have voted. Despite being a traditional Labour voter, I haven't voted for them this time round, for a number of reasons, but primarily and secondarily

• Deselecting the incumbent MP at short notice with no explanation (save a complaint has been made against him relating to something that happened 8 years ago) and parachuting in a candidate from London who just happens to be Keir Starmers former speechwriter
  • Starmer's declared position on a number of things (e.g. ceasefire in Gaza, rejoining the EU/single market). He really is Tory-lite.

Don't worry I haven't voted Tory either (on account that shes a London resident too Tory), and Reform Ltd didn't have a candidate standing here..

I still expect a Labour win here, Tories had two chances, and slim has already left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Screw them with their interference in my person. The fact people are prepared to accept this is the march towards fascism. It was ID that did for the Dutch in WWII.

I really don’t know Dutch history, so I wouldn’t know how having ID influence their fate during WW2.

But here in France we have ID cards since 1921. It’s mandatory for every citizen and it’s required to vote. It works fine and we’re not a fascist state.

• Like 2

Well, I went back on my vow. I disagree with the SNP candidate on gender issues, but ultimately I think she'll just have to cry about it because she's not really in a position to change many laws relating to it.

However, the situation in Gaza has escalated since May 2023. The Labour candidate has been silent on the genociwar, and the Labour party overall has an indifferent stance, even attempting to silence some pro-Palestine voices. The SNP candidate has always been clear in demanding a ceasefire and I believe we need more of those voices in parliament. I voted SNP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sinbabad said:

I really don’t know Dutch history, so I wouldn’t know how having ID influence their fate during WW2.

But here in France we have ID cards since 1921. It’s mandatory for every citizen and it’s required to vote. It works fine and we’re not a fascist state.

Yeah, I was just throwing it about tbh.

IIRC, the Nazis were able to quickly discover the identity of Jews in Netherlands and round them up toute suite (see what I did there?) because of ID cards.

Quite frankly (see what I did there again?), the UK is not France and does not have a history of supplying the government with information by way of photo. My body, my choice.

I can prove my identity in other ways - bank statements, council tax bill, birth certificate etc. And all of that is useless at the ballot box.

There is nothing to stop an employee of a local authority who has much information on me from simply attaching a photo of themselves to a spurious VoterID Certificate and turning up at my polling place and thieving my vote. Identity theft anyone?

Maybe fascism was a little far @Sinbabad, but that really depends on how your country votes shortly. ;)

The Gaza ceasfire issue swung me towards the Greens. Hope the Tories get crushed but one has to vote with their conscience.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

but that really depends on how your country votes shortly. ;)

Meaning ? I’m not fluent in English