weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

A brief interview with Patch today on Radio 4. Obviously very wavery, but still together, bless him.

Mr. Buckles is still looking very good, considering his age, and I am betting he will still be around when 2009 rolls around.

Australia's last surviving WWI veteran turns 109. Also the first time that he's been acknowledged as Australia's oldest man, as far as I know.

Guest Guest

Last believed Turkish vet, Yakup Satar, has died.

Meanwhile Henry Allingham was out and about this week enjoying a flypast of RAF planes over London to celebrate the centenary of the whole operation.

He had an operation on his hole 100 years ago?

Meanwhile Henry Allingham was out and about this week enjoying a flypast of RAF planes over London to celebrate the centenary of the whole operation.

He had an operation on his hole 100 years ago?

How can it be the centenary when the RAF was only formed 90 years ago?

Okay, so he was celebrating 90 years of the RAF.

Either way, we composed a song in his honour:

Oh, he is a very old man

His name is Henry Allingham

Once he was in World War One

Now his life is almost done.

Struggling with the next verse, I'm sure one of you can help us out.

Okay, so he was celebrating 90 years of the RAF.

Either way, we composed a song in his honour:

Oh, he is a very old man

His name is Henry Allingham

Once he was in World War One

Now his life is almost done.

Struggling with the next verse, I'm sure one of you can help us out.

For some esteemed members around these parts,

Henrywatch is about as interesting as stagnant farts.

Alas, at least, his life isn't such a bore,

As one of these so called deathlist posting whores.

Only kidding mate, or summat :)

UK obit, important not because someone picked him on the DDP, but because it seems to indicate that (along with the last few WWI vet obits) most of the remaining WWI vets will get a mention somewhere in the UK press.

UK obit, important not because someone picked him on the DDP, but because it seems to indicate that (along with the last few WWI vet obits) most of the remaining WWI vets will get a mention somewhere in the UK press.

The last 4 UK Veterans will get an obit giving the news articles that were run on them last year.

I just wonder who will be the last one

The last 4 UK Veterans will get an obit giving the news articles that were run on them last year.

I just wonder who will be the last one

UK based - Bill Stone

Australia based - Claude Choules

They would be my guesses. But I do hope Henry Allingham not only becomes oldest man in the world outright, but oldest Briton, then oldest person in the world. Think only 24 odd people have to go which is easy if we invite 1-24 to a party with some poisoned rum punch & don't invite Henry to the same party due to an invite getting "lost in the post"....

Or maybe nature will take its course as intended.

Either way, I suspect there to be a handful of vets at the end of the year, but those veterans will probably last for a few years yet - Buckles in particular seems very good for his advanced age, so one survivor in 2014, the 100th anniversary can't totally be ruled out.

Aha, I was wondering about the 4 - I wasn't sure if Claude was still with us, he is of course British despite having lived in Oz for many years.

The other being Harry Patch of course, who still seems pretty spry. Thought that "poem" Motion wrote for him recently was crap though.

But I do hope Henry Allingham not only becomes oldest man in the world outright, but oldest Briton, then oldest person in the world. Think only 24 odd people have to go which is easy if we invite 1-24 to a party with some poisoned rum punch & don't invite Henry to the same party due to an invite getting "lost in the post"....

No need to invite Elizabeth Stefan.

Y'know, first thing I thought when I saw she had gone is "good, another one down & Henry moves up one". <_< Rather worrying this behaviour, I think.

Henry's officially listed at #22 now, but there's at least one older woman - Japan's oldest person, an anonymous woman, was born May 10, 1895.

And that's not even counting all the "maybe" cases listed here.

Henry Allingham was out and about visiting a sick 11 year old

Oddly, Allingham might outlive that 11 year old.

Continuing today's trend of me posting unverifiable news (unless you can read this link), the last central powers WWI veteran, Franz Künstler is in hospital with a broken hip and an intestinal obstruction, neither of which is conducive to long life in a 107-year-old. Given how wide the international coverage was for Erich Kästner, I suspect that his status as the last Central Powers veteran will produce a (delayed) reaction good enough for most DPs, including Handy's upcoming one.

Not terribly interesting but nevertheless nice piece on John Babcock the last known surviving Canadian vet, looking fairly spry (although the photos are from last summer). Although no news really means simply "no news."