weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Netherwood Hughes has died at the age of 108.

That means there are only 6 verified WWI veterans left....

2 living in the UK (Henry and Harry),

2 living in the USA (Frank and JohnB)

2 living in Australia (Claude and JohnC)

....... it's on :)

Isn't John Babcock Canadian? Or at least serve with the Canadian army?

Babcock is Canadian enough to count for a maple leaf next to his name when picked on CPDP teams.

Netherwood Hughes has died at the age of 108.

That means there are only 6 verified WWI veterans left....

2 living in the UK (Henry and Harry),

2 living in the USA (Frank and JohnB)

2 living in Australia (Claude and JohnC)

....... it's on :)

Isn't John Babcock Canadian? Or at least serve with the Canadian army?

Yeah he did serve but he's currently living in Spokane, Washington.

I assume the subject of Allingham is being raised because of this BBC report. He looks awful I'm sad to say and, while he'll probably make 113, I'll be surprised if he doesn't earn me some HDP points by the end of the year.

By the way, I love how the commercial they forced me to watch before the video was longer than the video itself. :)

All those oldest this and that titles and he accepts a degree from Southampton SOLENT "University"? I was quite surprised that the Chancellor or orator or whoever was handing him the scroll didn't have a costume on loan from Disney <_<

I assume the subject of Allingham is being raised because of this BBC report. He looks awful I'm sad to say and, while he'll probably make 113, I'll be surprised if he doesn't earn me some HDP points by the end of the year.

ummm...poor old Henry wasn't looking his best that day thats for sure . However , we all need to get behind him , and give him spiritual support in his quest to be the oldest living person in the history of oldest living persons...

Yeah, he really does look on his last legs in that video I gotta say.

:P

I mean, just look at his hand, and the way his neck is bent over. Let's hope he survives until Saturday at least anyway.

Question: Are the likes of WWI veterans, supercentenarians, etcetera eligible candidates for Death List? It's the "candidates cannot be famous purely for the fact they are likely to die soon" line that gets me. Would that mean that some especially notable supercentenarians (like Henry) might be eligible but others who are barely notable (and unlikely to get UK obit) would obviously not be suitable candidates?

Also, does the rule 'UK obituary' apply to any mention of the person's death in mainstream UK media as a form of a passing news story, or only an actual full obituary that looks back at their life?

Well no matter how poorly Henry's doing he's still managed to outlive another vet: Jack Ross is no more.

Down to Henry, Harry, John, Frank, and Claude.

Yeah, he really does look on his last legs in that video I gotta say.

:P

I mean, just look at his hand, and the way his neck is bent over. Let's hope he survives until Saturday at least anyway.

Question: Are the likes of WWI veterans, supercentenarians, etcetera eligible candidates for Death List? It's the "candidates cannot be famous purely for the fact they are likely to die soon" line that gets me. Would that mean that some especially notable supercentenarians (like Henry) might be eligible but others who are barely notable (and unlikely to get UK obit) would obviously not be suitable candidates?

Also, does the rule 'UK obituary' apply to any mention of the person's death in mainstream UK media as a form of a passing news story, or only an actual full obituary that looks back at their life?

It pretty much depends on how independently famous the person is in the the eyes of the DL committee. After 4-6 pints.

Well no matter how poorly Henry's doing he's still managed to outlive another vet: Jack Ross is no more.

Down to Henry, Harry, John, Frank, and Claude.

We may not win the Ashes but we've won the WWI Vets Survival Challenge. Claude's disqualified for batting for both sides. As it were.

With the 65th anniversary of D-Day on the horizon, is it worth starting a WWII thread yet?

With the 65th anniversary of D-Day on the horizon, is it worth starting a WWII thread yet?

No. There are still hundreds of survivors in each participating nation.

Fair enough. My topic-initiating total shall remain resolutely at 1.

I suppose if you really wanted you could open a thread for reporting the deaths of WW11 notables...

I suppose if you really wanted you could open a thread for reporting the deaths of WW11 notables...

Like who? Most of the notables are dead, except Vera Lynn who has her own thread. There are a few VCs covered elsewhere on the forum, the odd U-boat skipper, also covered elsewhere, a few survivors from high profile actions, also covered elsewhere.

As you said we're nowhere near the last few as in the WW1 survivors. But most of those left of the notables are covered in other categories.

Like who? Most of the notables are dead, except Vera Lynn who has her own thread. There are a few VCs covered elsewhere on the forum, the odd U-boat skipper, also covered elsewhere, a few survivors from high profile actions, also covered elsewhere.

As you said we're nowhere near the last few as in the WW1 survivors. But most of those left of the notables are covered in other categories.

Hitler's still living in Bolivia. Or his brain is, anyway. They saved it, I saw a film about it.

F*ucking f*ck, when did WW3 through to WW10 happen? How long have I been away?

Monoclinic ®, putting the anker into cantankerous.

G'day deathlisters.

Maybe we could start a thread about one of the conflicts in between the World Wars, Spanish Civil war perhaps?

G'day deathlisters.

Maybe we could start a thread about one of the conflicts in between the World Wars, Spanish Civil war perhaps?

Yes, that was the idea behind this thread - to mop up those surviving various conflicts, actions, disasters etc from times past that, realistically, are not on their own (unlike the Titanic for example) going to stimulate a lengthy discussion. There has already been some mention somehwere of that dodgy Wikipedia entry with its limited number of Spaniards.

Sometimes it's a fine call between an exclusive and a collective thread and were we to have many Spanish forum members it might be merited. Anyway it's something you might chat about with the other 43 body snatchers. I mean it's not as if they are Munchkins, is it?

I should add there that I mean Spaniards, not body snatchers although some Munchkins may be body snatchers and some, indeed may be Spaniards. There's an outside possibility, I suppose, of a Spanish Munchkin body snatcher (not you perchance?) and if anyone knows of one, he or she - that is the SMBS - probably deserves their own thread, or at least an appearance on Spain's Got Talent which I imagine would feature a lot of women with castanets, stamping their feet to Flamenco guitar. A flamenco-dancing Spanish Civil war veteran munchkin would be quite a draw. But his fame could make him vulnerable to kidnap. I can see the headline now in El Mundo, translated: Body snatching gang seize civil war veteran munchkin dancer - McCann connection suspected.

G'day deathlisters.

Yes, that was the idea behind this thread - to mop up those surviving various conflicts, actions, disasters etc from times past that, realistically, are not on their own (unlike the Titanic for example) going to stimulate a lengthy discussion. There has already been some mention somehwere of that dodgy Wikipedia entry with its limited number of Spaniards.

Sometimes it's a fine call between an exclusive and a collective thread and were we to have many Spanish forum members it might be merited. Anyway it's something you might chat about with the other 43 body snatchers. I mean it's not as if they are Munchkins, is it?

I should add there that I mean Spaniards, not body snatchers although some Munchkins may be body snatchers and some, indeed may be Spaniards. There's an outside possibility, I suppose, of a Spanish Munchkin body snatcher (not you perchance?) and if anyone knows of one, he or she - that is the SMBS - probably deserves their own thread, or at least an appearance on Spain's Got Talent which I imagine would feature a lot of women with castanets, stamping their feet to Flamenco guitar. A flamenco-dancing Spanish Civil war veteran munchkin would be quite a draw. But his fame could make him vulnerable to kidnap. I can see the headline now in El Mundo, translated: Body snatching gang seize civil war veteran munchkin dancer - McCann connection suspected.

¿ Could our antihero also be a sombrero wearing ex-world champion matador with a connection to the Costa del Crime, grassy bott ?

Damn I've been filter foiled, grassy a rse

Spain's Got Talent which I imagine would feature a lot of women with castanets, stamping their feet to Flamenco guitar.

Just like the English all wear top hats, suits and monocles and drink tea, the Scots all wear kilts, toss cabers, play bagpipes and eat haggis and drink whisky.

:blink:

Actually though, there is a Spain's Got Talent and you're probably right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_Talent_series#Spain

Anyway, this is getting offtopic for the purpose of this particular thread.

G'day deathlisters.

¿ Could our antihero also be a sombrero wearing ex-matedor with a connection to the Costa del Crime, grassy bott ?

The disguise will fool no-one.

G'day deathlisters.

¿ Could our antihero also be a sombrero wearing ex-matedor with a connection to the Costa del Crime, grassy bott ?

The disguise will fool no-one.

Shitt they're onto me. :blink:

Right you got me! Actually there are 50 Body Snatchers, I'm merely the bloke who combs these kind of forums in order to find information about potential "fresh ones" to pass on to the other 49. These 49 then go about what we call the "process" and thats how cadavers, organ "donations", limbs on the black market etc, proves to be a very lucrative business for us. For a while we branched into supplying animal parts - did you know that George Lopez has the kidney of a 12 year old Great Dane called Bootsie - we had to stop though because the pet cemetery was too spooky.

But before you pass judgment on us we do pass on any surplus $$$ on to needy organizations like the Child Protection From Madonna Union.

Also with regards to the Spanish, Munchkin, Spain's got talent contestant who served in the Civil War - You wouldn't happen to know my ex-girlfriend would you?

G'day deathlisters.

Here's an article about the symbolic role of survivors which mentions Millvina Dean, dear old Henry 'n' Harry and the eight surviving Brits who fought against Franco.

Aye, it mentions the eight survivors but only names one. D'ya think if I wrote the memorial trust a nice letter along the lines of Dear Sir, I am a deadpooler currently enjoying good performance with a theme team of WW1 vets, however I will be unable to name ten of them next year to repeat the feat, would you kindly furnish me with names of the surviving UK IB members......

LONDON -- Guinness World Records said that 113-year-old British World War I veteran Henry Allingham has become the world's oldest man.

The previous holder of the title, Tomoji Tanabe, died in his sleep in southern Japan at the age of 113.

Allingham is one of only two surviving World War I veterans in Britain and celebrated his 113th birthday June 6. He has been Britain's oldest man since January 2007.

Craig Glenday, editor-in-chief of Guinness World Records, said the last Englishman to hold the title of world's oldest man was Frederick Butterfield, who died in March 1974 at the age of 110.

Allingham joined the Royal Naval Air Service - precursor to the Royal Air Force - in 1915, and a year later took part in the Battle of Jutland, the war's largest naval battle. During World War II he worked on measures to counter magnetic mines.

Well...........CONGRATULATIONS HENRY! WELL DONE!