weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Thanx to Phantom and Harry for the good information! Keep up the good work of keeping us informed.

Delfino Borroni has now died, (in Italian, but English obits should be up soon after).

One of several reports in English here.

Borroni bigged up by The Times. For the sake of my CPDP theme team I can only hope the BBC Last Word crew and/or The Independent are taking note.

Borroni bigged up by The Times. For the sake of my CPDP theme team I can only hope the BBC Last Word crew and/or The Independent are taking note.

But the fact he has an English obit is good enough for a theme team.

Oh aye, I'd forgotten that, meaning the rambling post about the BBC mentioning it I've just put on the CPDP thread isn't essential. I'd been gambling with the theme team that some of the obit requirements might be met indirectly, for example by the dead 'un being mentioned in a BBC or Indepenent obit as context as and when Bill Stone or Henry Allingham finally went.

So, one down, 9 to go, then.

Oh aye, I'd forgotten that, meaning the rambling post about the BBC mentioning it I've just put on the CPDP thread isn't essential. I'd been gambling with the theme team that some of the obit requirements might be met indirectly, for example by the dead 'un being mentioned in a BBC or Indepenent obit as context as and when Bill Stone or Henry Allingham finally went.

Hmmm... according to wiki, there are 11 verified WWI veterans left and some sources on the net say that there are only 3 left! Too confusing... what exactly do you need to have done to fall under the heading of WWI veteran? :rolleyes:

Hmmm... according to wiki, there are 11 verified WWI veterans left and some sources on the net say that there are only 3 left! Too confusing... what exactly do you need to have done to fall under the heading of WWI veteran? :rolleyes:

I'd define it as somebody who was an enlisted member of the Armed Forces by November 1918...

I'd define it as somebody who was an enlisted member of the Armed Forces by November 1918...

A Vietnam veteran is... "A veteran, any part of whose active U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, was during the period February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 or August 5, 1964 to May 7, 1975 who (i) served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days, and was discharged or released with other than a dishonorable discharge; or (ii) was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability if any part of such duty was performed between the dates cited."

So, if you change the dates and replace U.S. with allied forces, then I'd say that'd be as close as you're going to get.

Re the debate above, Wikipedia is as good a source as any, particularly because it does a good job of discriminating between the undisputed and disputed claims of veteranship.

Guest Guest_Armitage Shanks_*

Lovely to see Mr Patch landing the spoils at Doncaster today. Good old DeathList, always helping Armitage out of a financial jam.

1:30

1 Harry Patch 4-1 Fav

2 Kingswinford 11-1

3 Lucky Numbers 8-1

15 ran

Also: 14-1 Final Salute 4th

NR: Common Diva

WIN £4.00

Ex £60.10 CSF £49.76

Tote Place £2.10, £4.10, £3.00

Tote Trifecta: £367.90

Lucas BBC obit. That's everyone's deadpool points sorted then, including the second hit on my CPDP deadpool theme team.

Messrs Allingham, Patch and Stone seeing action at the Cenotaph today (BBC1 10am), while the fourth Brit/Aussie musketeer, Claude Choules, is also attending a Remembrance event Down Under.

Edit: none got out of their wheelchairs to lay their wreaths, although Henry was trying his damnedest. They all looked well and it was a most moving ceremony.

Edited by TAFKAG

Messrs Allingham, Patch and Stone seeing action at the Cenotaph today (BBC1 10am), while the fourth Brit/Aussie musketeer, Claude Choules, is also attending a Remembrance event Down Under.

Edit: none got out of their wheelchairs to lay their wreaths, although Henry was trying his damnedest. They all looked well and it was a most moving ceremony.

It's really quite remarkable - combined age, 330, yet still here 90 years on. They said 10 years ago - no chance, no veterans. Now they're saying almost certainly. With men like Patch it's not difficult to see him going 5 more years at this rate. It's almost hard to believe.

I thought Patch looked very well for his age. And Stone probably would've tried walking but for his recent broken hip. The fact that he can go in for major surgery at 108 & still attend... incredible.

Choules, too, was looking good too.

But Patch is remarkable - as the last veteran of the trenches (and Paesschandale) anywhere in the world, he truly is a piece of living history.

It's really quite remarkable - combined age, 330, yet still here 90 years on. They said 10 years ago - no chance, no veterans. Now they're saying almost certainly. With men like Patch it's not difficult to see him going 5 more years at this rate. It's almost hard to believe.

I thought Patch looked very well for his age. And Stone probably would've tried walking but for his recent broken hip. The fact that he can go in for major surgery at 108 & still attend... incredible.

But Patch is remarkable - as the last veteran of the trenches (and Paesschandale) anywhere in the world, he truly is a piece of living history.

It's fitting that three of the remaining survivors are from each wing of the British Armed Forces: Army, Navy and Airforce...

Aye indeed BIG RESPECT to all concerned. I took a moment to reflect and pay thanks for a world in which I'm allowed to express myself through deadpooling at 11-00 am.

But I've got mixed feelings on this....., mainly because these lads + their foreign counterparts make up a theme team for me.

Aye indeed BIG RESPECT to all concerned. I took a moment to reflect and pay thanks for a world in which I'm allowed to express myself through deadpooling at 11-00 am.

But I've got mixed feelings on this....., mainly because these lads + their foreign counterparts make up a theme team for me.

They're that old, you'll get f**k all points Maryport! :angry:

That said, I have a centurian up my sleeve which I might add to my 2009 DDP...

Frank Buckles got in on the act over at Arlington, in a nifty beret 'n' shades combo.

Didn't have his own Wiki page last time I looked either. Given his borderline status I didn't have him on the CPDP team. Be interesting to see if he gets an English obit and would - therefore - have qualified for points.

Guest WaltJake
Well I think this explains itself. If in a war for a shorter time there would be less loss of life (under normal circumstances) which means less mental stress caused by losing a buddy in a war which would lead to a happier and therefore healthier and quite possibly longer life span.

This may well apply for the average life span of an American Veteran compared to a Brit veteran, however what i meant that in quantitative terms more British men fought in the war than American men, so consequently there should be more British veterans surviving to this day.

Since the US got involved only in the last year of the war (1917-1918) as opposed to 1914, it would stand to reason that the US soldiers were a few years younger than the average British soldier at the time. A couple years makes a big difference when you pass the century mark! An 18 year old soldier in the last year of the war would be 108 now!

Well I think this explains itself. If in a war for a shorter time there would be less loss of life (under normal circumstances) which means less mental stress caused by losing a buddy in a war which would lead to a happier and therefore healthier and quite possibly longer life span.

This may well apply for the average life span of an American Veteran compared to a Brit veteran, however what i meant that in quantitative terms more British men fought in the war than American men, so consequently there should be more British veterans surviving to this day.

Since the US got involved only in the last year of the war (1917-1918) as opposed to 1914, it would stand to reason that the US soldiers were a few years younger than the average British soldier at the time. A couple years makes a big difference when you pass the century mark! An 18 year old soldier in the last year of the war would be 108 now!

So time stood still in Britain for over four years, interesting concept, I'd like to know more as it might win me a Nobel prize.

Yes there were soldiers who did not see their 18th or even 16th birthdays before they signed up to fight on the front lines but there were still British lads growing up during the war who would have been conscripted in the later years. Likewise I am sure the Americans didn't just send the whippersnappers over. So no, I don't think your justification stands to reason. Sorry.

Edit - Statisticswise didn't the Russians and the Germans have bigger armies? Thus there would be a greater chance of having more veterans alive. I hear alcohol is a good preservative as far as vodka is concerned.