3 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

What would you have as your funeral song?

An interesting point is that some people choose songs they loathed in life as a piss-take. Personally, I don't hate the people in my life enough to have them sit through sodding Westlife.

Late aunt went with Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. Maw has made it very clear that she wants this specific remix of Adagio for Strings:

Former colleague went out with this one about a year ago. I assumed he did it as a piss-take.

3 hours ago, Toast said:
5 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

What would you have as your funeral song?

An interesting point is that some people choose songs they loathed in life as a piss-take. Personally, I don't hate the people in my life enough to have them sit through sodding Westlife.

Late aunt went with Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. Maw has made it very clear that she wants this specific remix of Adagio for Strings:

Ahhh, I'll get stuck into the comments later.  Often some witty stuff in the Grauniad BTL.

But this is well worth its own thread on here.  Don't we have one? 

I once started a thread on songs featuring death, but I can't remember if there's one for funeral music.  If not, we need one.

Indeed we do:

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/2073-funereal-music/

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

Cheers, Cat, I thought we did.  Searched for 'funeral' but was outwitted by the adjectival version.

I searched for the term funer* (the * meaning followed by anything). It makes searching a whole lot easier.  :D

• Thanks 2

Is f-u-n-r-e-a-l a thing?  Telt a typo.

I posted in that thread long ago so should have been found easy enough cuz SirC is a moron in genereal.

See what I did there...

SC

• Haha 1

3D877793-00CB-4AAA-A42D-007EBDFBCA2A.jpeg

Write-up about a new documentary (film) entitled: Becoming Incurable.

New book about a superhero with terminal cancer.

Banjax, “a dark and decidedly wicked superhero noir that pulls no punches, that suffers no fools, that repeatedly gets knocked down, but always gets back up again with a smile,” according to the press release.

Here’s the book’s description:

Liard Mason, a disgraced former superhero, is diagnosed with terminal cancer, brought on by years of using his powers. Defending what he has deemed an ungrateful and ultimately unworthy city is literally killing him. With just months to live and a legacy hanging in the balance, Mason launches a violent and misguided Death Wish-like campaign to purge the city of supervillains before he dies.When things get really ugly, Mason’s measured and deliberate former sidekick, Abel Raines – the public’s current point-and-wink superhero ideal – is tasked with bringing his old mentor in. The issue? Raines isn’t remotely up to the task."
SC

Supposed to be a 'feel good' story about 31-year-old Chris Salvatore and his neighbor, 89-year old Norma Cook. Story says the two are 'best friends'. And when Chris found out about Norma's terminal leukemia diagnosis, he couldn't bear the thought of her moving away to a nursing home. And so, the dying 89-year-old woman moved in with her young neighbor to finish out her days surrounded by love!

I'm sorry, this is creepy AF.  And wrong-un AF.  And missing key facts that we know are lingering in the shadows.
So fucking creepy I had to share.  Even the photo is ripe for wincing.
SC

godupdates dying 89-year-old woman moved in with 31-year-old neighbor fb.jpg

Good reading material for DLers.

If your dying husband asks for rice, GET HIM SOME GODDAMN RICE.
Woman lamenting how she treated husband in his dying days writes to periodical hoping for solace. 
Will find none here in Deathlist, I assure you.
SC

England and Wales saw another rise in total mortality in 2018, to a total of 541,589, the highest since 1999. 

In more detail, what's happened is rhat age standardised mortality rates have stayed fairly static, but the population has got older, driving up total mortality.

There are many more details to be found in the ONS report, if you want them: 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/2018

On 22/07/2018 at 20:26, paddyfool said:

Further to the above, I'll make a casual prediction: 2018 will go higher than 2017, with at least 535,000 deaths and probably over 540,000. I say this not because of some nefarious plot, but because of a number of factors:

- Continuation of existing demographic trends as regards an ageing and growing population

- Life expectancy in the UK having slowed in its previously long-established rise quite significantly from about 2010 onwards.

- Unusually high numbers of flu cases in Jan to March 2018 with a late flu season

- Excess heatwave deaths in the current long heatwave

- Worsening bed crisis in the NHS (thank you gvt)

- Worsening staffing crisis in the NHS (thank you Brexit)

- Worsening rates of mental illnesses, obesity, and obesity-related conditions like type 2 diabetes

- Worsening violent crime rates (thank you gvt for cutting police numbers and social service spending)

- Worsening social inequality

- No very major medical advances recently

- The slow march of antibiotic resistance

Anyone disagree?

Incidentally, this casual prediction has been vindicated. Not sure whether 2019 will continue the trend yet - the start of this year didn't see quite as many deaths as the trend would predict.  

I think my casual prediction for 2019 would be that it ends the year with a similar total tally to 2018, one way or another; probably within 2% of the total. 

It's the Dia de los Muertos Barbie, or Day of the Dead Barbie!  The collectible doll, which will be released on Thursday, celebrates the annual Mexican festival, in which people honor their departed loved ones.  $75 (£55 or so).

SC

BA9A6E9F-1707-4927-982C-7870D00E00D2.jpeg

I like that.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I like that.

Me too.... but for the $ tag I'd get my daughter one.  Still may.

I almost made a thread for this.  Cuz the evidence is going to pour in over the next 5-10 years.

Kansas health officials say they have confirmed the first death in that state related to an outbreak of a lung disease linked to vaping. Kansas becomes at least the sixth state to confirm a death possibly blamed on using e-cigarettes since last month.  

On Friday, officials in Indiana, California and Minnesota reported deaths in their states linked to vaping. Previous deaths have been reported in Illinois and Oregon.

SC

35 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I almost made a thread for this.  Cuz the evidence is going to pour in over the next 5-10 years.

Kansas health officials say they have confirmed the first death in that state related to an outbreak of a lung disease linked to vaping. Kansas becomes at least the sixth state to confirm a death possibly blamed on using e-cigarettes since last month.  

On Friday, officials in Indiana, California and Minnesota reported deaths in their states linked to vaping. Previous deaths have been reported in Illinois and Oregon.

SC

Brought to you by the American tobacco industry? 

1 minute ago, Paul Bearer said:

Brought to you by the American tobacco industry? 

??? 
It's the same industry.  These are health officials, not some advert warning you against vaping.

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

??? 
It's the same industry.  These are health officials, not some advert warning you against vaping.

BBC article on vaping

Sir C - I haven't double checked this against yours so apologies if all just same information.

10 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

BBC article on vaping

Sir C - I haven't double checked this against yours so apologies if all just same information.

All good.  Like I said, I almost started a thread and I think one would be relevant as science slowly undermines the 'safe alternative'.   Would be fun to track historically from where we are now, imho.