Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Back on topic, I'm struggling to find a solid internet source of evidence on Virginia Calls, it matters because the last I heard she was claiming to be born on January 4th 1894, which would put her well on our radar. Anyone know how solid her claim is?

This is the best I've got so far, brief and - apparently - confident of its facts. Wiki doesn't give her a page but states on another page that she 'claims' this age. Also the linked article calls her 'Hall' in the headline and 'Call' in the copy, whilst the Wiki calls her 'Calls.' I mean, it's possible three very similarly named women were born on Jan 4th 1894 and they're all still alive, but more likely there's only one, so WTF is her name?

• Like 1

Back on topic, I'm struggling to find a solid internet source of evidence on Virginia Calls, it matters because the last I heard she was claiming to be born on January 4th 1894, which would put her well on our radar. Anyone know how solid her claim is?

This is the best I've got so far, brief and - apparently - confident of its facts. Wiki doesn't give her a page but states on another page that she 'claims' this age. Also the linked article calls her 'Hall' in the headline and 'Call' in the copy, whilst the Wiki calls her 'Calls.' I mean, it's possible three very similarly named women were born on Jan 4th 1894 and they're all still alive, but more likely there's only one, so WTF is her name?

Here's a news article. According to the World's Oldest People Yahoo board, the gist that I get is that they haven't been able to contact the family to even begin the process of confirmation.

I don't think Germany won the war...I feel these modern views are f****n insane.

Modern ideas?

I was watching an old war movie from 1943 (long days).

I've forgotten the name of the film, but it followed the career of an old soldier from the Boer War, through WWI, and to what was present day in WWII.

In it, there was an old German WW1 veteran and ex-PoW who fled Hitler in the 1930s speaking to the main character, the English Major-General. When discussing the war, the german said that there was little doubt that Germany lost the war, but more as to who actually won it.

I thought you were supposed to be the philosopher of the pack.

PS. It has been claimed that the Germans (or at least the West side) were the real winners of WW2 due to the fact that an endless supply of money was poured into the West German economy as a means to prevent the 'domino effect' coming any further West. The same has been claimed about Japan. The industries of both these countries had been flattened. When the war ended, they were rebuilt according to the more modern means of production which allowed them to out perform existing, wornout British methods.

It must be noted that these 'winners' are not the same as the victors of war.

Hedley Thurtle aged 102 has "ploughed his last furrow".

OK, I know he's probably way down the list in terms of "world's oldest", but he was "Britain's oldest farmer", and WHAT A GREAT NAME!!!

The oldest living man, Tomoji Tanabe, turns 112, and is still in excellent health.

Says he wants to live forever. I've got CPDP points riding on his ambitions being dashed before the end of August.

The oldest living man, Tomoji Tanabe, turns 112, and is still in excellent health.

Says he wants to live forever. I've got CPDP points riding on his ambitions being dashed before the end of August.

Quotes from the World's Oldest people message board:

"He sounds amazingly healthy. I read in another article that he takes daily walks alone outside. It wouldn't surprise me if he became the

oldest male ever, or lived to the age of 120."

"I don't say he would live forever as he wants, but a couple of years more yes. I don't remember of seeing another 112 with the health and disposal of Tanabe. I'm wishing the best for him."

Experience has taught me not to share the extremes of their optimism, but for a 112 year old, his vitality is indeed off the charts.

but for a 112 year old, his vitality is indeed off the charts.

Yeah, but in Japan.....they have earthquakes.

but for a 112 year old, his vitality is indeed off the charts.

Yeah, but in Japan.....they have earthquakes.

Ah I see. The plan is to make up for his age and famous for being famousness by hoping he'll die in an earthquake for accident bonus points. Gotcha.

The plan is to pick ten people who I think have a reasonable chance of shuffling off in the next twelve months and put them in my team. Docked points are still points once the individuals are dead. So a 112 year man might out-perform Gazza in these stakes.

Earthquake would be welcome in his case, mind.

Looks like you picked the wrong Japanese guy. Sukesaburo Nakanishi, the world's second-oldest man has died. Seeing as how his only obit was in Japanese (he died over a month ago), it would have fit in well with your "doesn't get an obit" theme. :unsure:

"doesn't get an obit" theme

Honestly darling, that's so last year, we've all moved on since then. :unsure:

Australias oldest person also now dead

For the record, this isn't just a Wikipedia hoax - it's been confirmed by the gerontologists on the World's Oldest People forum. No proper obit yet though.

Australias oldest person also now dead

For the record, this isn't just a Wikipedia hoax - it's been confirmed by the gerontologists on the World's Oldest People forum. No proper obit yet though.

And here's a proper obit now.

Centenarians reach record numbers. Maybe they could - like - have a series of Big Brother all to themselves.

Centenarians reach record numbers. Maybe they could - like - have a series of Big Brother all to themselves.

The eviction process would be interesting...

Them sessions in the jacuzzi would be life threatening! Turn the bubbles on hard and those brittle limbs might just detach themselves.

On Today, Gone Tomorrow.

In our dreams, Banshees. :crossbone:

I have about as much chance of reading German as I do reaching 100.

Well it seems that after Irmgard von Stephanie's death, Elsa Tauser became the oldest woman in Germany, holding the title for exactly one day and one night, before dropping dead herself.

The interesting thing about Frau Tauser is that she was born near the Harbour in Hamburg and had personal experience of the Emperor (Kaiser Bill presumably). On his horse.

• Like 1